Da Vinci Code

Da Vinci Code

Postby John R » Sun May 21, 2006 3:52 pm

Read the book but has anyone seen the movie yet? Have heard mixed reviews...
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Matbow » Sun May 21, 2006 4:17 pm

I don't usually pay much attention to reviews, but here's the BBC one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2006/05/18/t ... view.shtml

Stop me if you've heard this one before: when a curator at the Louvre is murdered, it's up to grumpy professor Robert Langdon (Tom Hanks) and perky cryptologist Sophie Neveau (Audrey Tautou) to solve the mystery. Following a byzantine trail of clues, they gradually uncover a massive religious conspiracy. Yes, it's The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown's hungry monster of a bestseller, adapted for the silver screen complete with albino monks and cranky French detectives. And frankly, it's a stinker.

It is a truism that good books make bad films, and vice versa. By that reckoning, Da Vinci ought to be an excellent film, since the prose is awful and the plot is tremendous. But something has gone badly wrong. For all the prestige production values and A-list stars, The Da Vinci Code is practically catatonic. It just lies there on the screen like a $100 million mattress. The script is bad. The acting is bad. Tautou is very, very bad, and clearly uncomfortable. Hanks looks and performs like a lump of dough in a wig.

"THE WHOLE THING GOES ON FOR HOURS AND HOURS"

The plotting, which seemed endearingly silly on the page, is snortingly preposterous on screen: our heroes tumble po-faced from peril to peril with insane regularity. At one point, they get saved by a pigeon. Director Ron Howard relentlessly patronises his audience with CGI flashbacks to The World Of Ancient History, and the whole thing goes on for hours and hours. An extra star is earned by Paul Bettany and Ian McKellen (as the nutty monk and the wealthy fruitcake respectively), who somehow manage to keep the film from lurching completely to a halt.

Doesn't exactly make me want to go see it, but the average user vote is 4.5 out of 5. Hmm...

ETA:

This seems to be a trend. The critics rating on rottentomatos is 21%, the users 75%:

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/da_vinci_code/

How strange!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Mon May 22, 2006 1:14 pm

I hate to rain on their parade but I didn't think the movie was so bad! Snobs!

It may be better to post all reviews & stuff in this thread ;)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby VMS » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:55 am

As far as I know, when critics say that some movie sucks, I now I'm gonna like it! :lol:

I also think that Da Vinci Code wasn't all that bad. Of course the book is better, but that's obvious. Fortunately I read the book first, because they were speaking french quite a bit in a movie, and subtitles were in Czech... :shock: I guess I need to see it again with Finnish subtitles!
VMS

Postby Chaos » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:44 am

ok the book was over hyped and overrated, Angels & Demons is worth your time, Da Vinci code was good but pales in comparison imo
Chaos

Postby delby » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:45 am

Hey I borrowed a pirated copy of this from my mate(naughty) I liked and all that but as the french characters speak french to each other and its subtitled what you dont want is a russian pirate copy as then the french speakers subtitles dont help you at all

I guess it serves us right for watching pirate dvds
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Re: Da Vinci Code

Postby jonycarr » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:01 am

The Da Vinci Code is a frightening, exciting and well-sewn together mystery-thriller that keeps you often on the edge of your seat. The cast also not disappoint. Paul Bettany as Silas is really scary and thereby reinforces the stereotype that all albinos are evil.
jonycarr

Currently Reading: forum

Re: Da Vinci Code

Postby deniel » Tue May 17, 2011 1:18 am

The movie was really ultimate, I like story and hidden concept of the movie.
deniel

Currently Reading: Life After Death

Return to Film & TV