Dan Brown

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Postby Penitent » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:43 am

Poor Dan Brown! :twisted: . Well, Angels and Demons is better than Da Vinci, and actually very entertaining. I read it while I was in Rome and it was kind of fun to go around the same places described in the book and looking for the clues, and believe it or not, everything he describes in the book is there… :wink:
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:56 am

Angels and Demons is an excellent book i though, only spoilt by over the top, unbelieveable scene's, 2 that spring to mind are [spoiler]Langdon falling from the helicopter and surviving, and also dodging a bullet![/spoiler]
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Twoscoops » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:06 am

Penitent wrote:Poor Dan Brown! :twisted: . Well, Angels and Demons is better than Da Vinci, and actually very entertaining. I read it while I was in Rome and it was kind of fun to go around the same places described in the book and looking for the clues, and believe it or not, everything he describes in the book is there… :wink:

A great fun book. I read it for the second time on a trip to Rome and went on the officila Angels and Demons walking tour, which was a superb way to spend half a day.
Twoscoops

Postby Penitent » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:11 am

John R. I agree with your spoiler, But the book in general is fun and that can be forbidden. In general, the ending of Brown's books is not the best...
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Ada » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:01 pm

I'm still reading Angels and Demons. Putting it down more than picking it up - if that's possible. It's not just the story, I'm just not in "reading mode" at present.

However, has everyone heard that Tom Hanks has been signed up for some obscene amount of money :roll: to make the movie of this one too! I haven't seen Da Vinci Code and won't pay for this one either. I'll wait until they hit the "free to air" TV.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby Penitent » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:43 am

Da Vinci Code made over $750 million worldwide; so it was just a matter of time till they decided to make this a franchise. The next book tentatively titled “The Solomon Key” will be also featuring the same character. So, I’m sure it will be a movie too.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:30 am

i'll be buying that book probably. think its about the masons, not sure tho
John R
Founder Member

Ha Ha

Postby mahound » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:10 am

Ada wrote:I've decided to have a break from reading so I picked up Angels and Demons. :lol:

Its the kind of Book that the Samaritans give to customers they dont want to see again

What a boring book, just like the rest of his.
mahound

Dan Brown

Postby Ada » Wed May 16, 2007 7:20 pm

< As you can see, I'm no longer reading Angels and Demons. (Funny that, I've started another book with the word "angel" in it!)

Re Angels and Demons. I got to page 200 but..... as Scottie I think it was, used to say, "I just can't do it Captain, I don't have the power". :lol:
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Fri May 18, 2007 1:00 pm

that bad? i thought it was good. what didn't you like bout it?
John R
Founder Member

Postby Penitent » Fri May 18, 2007 6:20 pm

Well Ada, in that case I would suggest then to stir away from “The Da Vinci Code”; “Angel and Demons” is MUCH better.

What didn’t you like about it anyway? I would say it is not great literature but it was great escapism.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Ada » Fri May 18, 2007 6:40 pm

I have actually read The Da Vinci Code and thought it was OK for what it was. I thought I would fly through Angels and Demons too as I find it much the same type of book - could be it's the same author :roll: :) .

It's not that I didn't like it. It's simply that I found (well was given), something better to read. I will pick it up again one day. (As long as nothing better gets in the way :lol: .)
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Rivaan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:53 pm

Penitent wrote:Da Vinci Code made over $750 million worldwide; so it was just a matter of time till they decided to make this a franchise. The next book tentatively titled “The Solomon Key” will be also featuring the same character. So, I’m sure it will be a movie too.

Hot damn that's a lot of money! :shock:

I will be getting The Solomon Key too. I have read the other four and thought they were alright, good for quick light reading. In order of best first, I found it to be: Deception Point, Digital Fortress, Angels and Demons, and then Da Vinvi Code.
Rivaan

Postby Penitent » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:56 pm

Not many clues are known about the new Dan Brown, nobody even knows if the book has been finished yet. He claimed on an interview that he had been “distracted from writing” with all the lawsuits accusing him of plagiarism with “Da Vinci Code”.

“Solomon Key” was already pre-announced in Amazon a few months back, even thought there is no release date announced yet. I checked recently and it is no longer there, so probably it’s going to be delayed… maybe to 2008?
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Dan Brown

Postby Ada » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:53 pm

I finally finished Angels & Demons. :twisted: I had to put myself out of misery. ](*,) I was wrong in an earlier post when I said “It’s not that I didn’t like it”. I didn’t like it. Nearly every time I picked it up, I’d be sitting there moaning and groaning about how dreadful it was. My eldest daughter, who owns the book, threatened to take it back off me and kept saying if you hate it that much, don’t read it! I honestly don’t know why I chose to finish it. :shock: It’s not like I’ve not finished a book before. Maybe because I’d read The Da Vinci Code I thought he might redeem himself in some way. Alas no, it was painful until the end. John R said it was “only spoilt by over the top, unbelievable scenes”. I felt it was these very things that spoilt the whole book! There were so many that they’re not worth mentioning and I can’t be bothered putting in any more spoilers.

So, in order to regain my sanity and confidence in authors again, I’m going to reread all of Wilbur’s Ballantyne novels. :lol:
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby delby » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:37 pm

ADA ONCE AGAIN YOUR SO HONEST IT HURTS

Big ouch cos i really enjoyed angels and demons but if we all loved everything it would be crap

I totally agree about rereading all of the ballantynes tho I may just do that myself , it must have been oooh , weeks since I read them hahaha
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby grymace03 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:53 pm

The people who read his books turn me off to his writings more than his critics. Most of the people I know who have read The Da Vinci Code can list that as the only book they've ever read. It seems an easy and simplified read, which seems to be why so many people love it. He's an author for people who don't read. As Lois in Family Guy puts it, "The chapters are really short so you feel so smart after reading it!"
grymace03

Currently Reading: Skeletons on Zahara

Postby trevmack » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:08 am

I've read all of Dans' novels and although they are good the seem to have a common archetype, as they can be quite predictable. Not like W.S. who I have found very hard to predict where the storyline is going.
trevmack

Currently Reading: Ruark,Uhuru

Postby johnrogers » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:22 pm

I have read all of Dan Browns books and I must admit I enjoyed them all as much as anything else I have read.The book Angels and Demons was my favourite one to read probally put it in my top 10 - I was brought up catholic so I got quite caught up in the history and inner workings of the vatican,so thats maybe why I liked it as much as I did.The other book that was really very good was Lost Symbol ,and I think that must have been a very hard book for the author to write as a followup to his previous novels - I think he did a great job and I really liked Lost Symbol
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby E-Hoog » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:25 am

I just saw that there is a new Dan Brown novel coming out in May. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(Dan_Brown_novel)

Anyone excited about this? I'm not in particular, but it might be a fun read.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

PreviousNext

Return to Other Authors