The Official "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Postby Matbow » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:18 am

Probably took me 12 hours to read it, started on Sunday at about 3pm, read more or less straight through until 1am and then finished it off on Monday night after work.

I'm a quick reader and usually finish books (that I'm really "into") this quick, but I'd usually only read a couple hours a day, so it takes more days.

Think I'll leave it for a month or two then re-read it as I'm sure I missed things in my haste!

I couldn't be bothered to wait to get it from the Library! The book over here only costs £5 (equiv = $10US), I spend that much buying my lunch everyday!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Penitent » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:51 am

I used to read books in a day too. That was when I lived in a world without responsibilities… Now with a wife, kids, that necessary evil called “a job” and several sports and community activities, I'm lucky if I read a couple of books a month. Except when we have one of those glorious snow days here in Colorado and all there is to do is to light the fireplace and read…
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:30 am

Harry Potter has taken us all to new levels, lol! This is the first time I've spent all day doing nothing but read a new book - and even then, I got up for walks and lunch & dinner, haha.

And re the library, its the union that they happen to be a part of, almost everything (including garbage collection) is on strike. But the librarians have had a change of heart & are still open - I think it's revolving strike & early closures. But still - not the libraries!!!!

The book was half price here at most bookstores, but I checked the library and there is a looong wait for this book! It was about $25 online, add shipping etc came to $32. Cheaper than usual, which is $45.

& Have you all heard that JKR will be writing an Encyclopedia on the HP world to tie up loose ends and character backgrounds. She's also said that Dean Thomas's character was quite good, but she just never got to put him in. I can't wait to read it!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby delby » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:28 pm

Well I did it in exactly six hours and four minutes with only bathroom breaks( and one to shout at my better halfs mate who grabbed it and ran he regretted it severeley :twisted: :twisted: ) I ate with it bathed with it and took it to bed so I averaged 100 pages per minute (what a geek :oops: ) I normally only do that with terry pratchett books

Ps ADA dont wait till xmas please cos its just too good
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby Ada » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:37 pm

delby wrote:Well I did it in exactly six hours and four minutes with only bathroom breaks( and one to shout at my better halfs mate who grabbed it and ran he regretted it severeley :twisted: :twisted: ) I ate with it bathed with it and took it to bed so I averaged 100 pages per minute (what a geek :oops: ) I normally only do that with terry pratchett books

Ps ADA dont wait till xmas please cos its just too good

delby, now you're scaring me. Please tell me you meant 100 pages per hour otherwise I'm going to think you're from another planet :shock: . Even so, 100 per hour is still very very impressive in my book (excuse the pun :lol: ).

I'm only waiting till xmass etc. for the boxed set, not for Deathly Hallows. If I don't hear from the library within the next fortnight, I'll be making enquiries. The cheapest I've seen it is 27 Aus dollars & I can't justify paying that and then having another copy in the boxed set - not when I'm saving for a holiday to the Whitsundays at present.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

The Official "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"

Postby Ada » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:07 pm

I finished HP & the Deathly Hallows on 24th August. I took 8 leisurely days to read it so there’ll be no medals for speed reading for me. :lol: I was shocked to receive my call from our library so soon as I knew I was well down on the list. I thoroughly enjoyed it and agree J.K. Rowling is a genius. :D I guessed some of the outcomes but did not predict the final outcome.
I think enough time has elapsed to put spoilers in now as the real fans will have already read it.

[spoiler]I cried when Dobby died. I also shed a tear when Harry died*, despite knowing by that stage that he was coming back. (Don’t get me wrong, I was sad when I read about the other deaths but didn’t shed any tears.) It was Snape’s allegiance that I guessed correctly although his ‘love’ interest was a surprise. I was wrong about who would kill Voldemort as I thought Neville would be the one.

*So, the rumours were correct – Harry does ‘technically’ die. BUT (& it’s a big one), mugglenet.com it states: “And no, he did not die and come back to life – that’s impossible according to Jo.” Well, I don’t know about everybody else, but I’m confused. :? How did he separate himself from the Voldemort Horcrux if he didn’t die? Every other story I’ve ever read about death/crossing over/seeing the white light etc., they’ve all said you are dead if you’re at the “King’s Cross” stage & you need resuscitating to bring you back.

So tell me, did you think Harry died? Also if he didn’t die, why go through all that massive story line about possessing the Invisibility Cloak, Resurrection Stone & Elder Wand?[/spoiler]

My eldest daughter is now reading it (I have it for 4 weeks – this is unusual as newies usually have a 2 week limit – I’m assuming it’s because it’s still classed as a children’s book and since it’s so long, kids couldn’t read it in 2 weeks.) She didn’t “buy” it as she has lost interest in Harry since JK (in a previous book) killed off her favourite character.

Overall, I liked it and have now requested from my family (for a Xmas or Birthday gift), the paperback boxed set. It probably won’t be available until late 2008 but that will be good as I’ll be ready to read them all again by then.

Clever lady that J.K. Rowling. Isn’t it wonderful that an author is the richest woman in the U.K.? =D>
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby delby » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:52 pm

LMAO :lol: :oops:

Im a vry fast reader but even that is beyond me of course I mean ahundred pages an hour but only with something I love and only on the first read .

My DAD asked how could I enjoy it when I read it that fast but i just cant help it ..

I read somewhere about a woman here who read number 5 in just over two hours but i think thats too much .
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby delby » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:56 pm

Is it me or is the only person whos Race?? is described ( in the whole series) KIngsley Shacklebolt .

i may have missed something but i think its wonderful the way you know how everyone looks without reverting too black white Indian oriental
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to Other Authors