Diana Gabaldon

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Re: Diana Gabaldon

Postby delby » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:06 am

Well ive read Dragonfly and voyager now and im counting the days till payday so I can buy the next two

Ive got to say Ive never been so exited about a series of books since I read the angels weep and hunted the house in my underwear at three in the morning cos I knew I had Leopard somewhere.

Im just so glad I came accross Outlander first because I dont think Id have been so hooked
I wonder why they called it CROSS STITCH tho because if anything that sort of put me off I would definitely not bought it If it hadnt been for Nefers insistence that Diana rules
thanks NEF :D
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby Nefer » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:52 am

[b14] \:D/

I think she has an explanation on her website as to why it's called Cross Stitch in Europe. May have something to do with the threads of past and present uniting ... ?

Hit up your library to get the rest of the books!! She's on tour in my fair city - 3 locations which are out in the 'burbs, and the one location in the city I have to pay $10 for - ! I guess I won't be getting more books signed this year...

Am so glad my constant harping on Diana has got yet another fan hooked!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby delby » Tue May 06, 2008 5:29 am

Ive just finished the drums of autumn , WOW it was better than dragonfly and voyager but the suspense was killing me , I found it kind of like jean auels mammoth hunters with the whole will they wont they thing cant wait to get fiery cross now
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby delby » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:20 am

hey nef i finished fiery cross and im much a jamie fraser fan as ever
you really started something here
its slowed down alot but i really love the fact that jamie and clare are still so together after all this time

my boyfriend says if i mention big scotsmen again he will strangle me lol
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby poneeboy53 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:24 am

Nefer,

Just got done reading Outlander. I thought it was an ok read. Overall I would give this book a 3 out of 5. I chose it because of the recomedations on here and just wondering whether I should pick up the next one in the series. It took me awhile to get into the book written in first person after reading so much Wilbur Smith. It actually threw me off. I have not enjoyed Wilbur Smiths most recent books (Quest & Triump of the Sun) as much because of the over hyped sex scenes or just too much of them. Not that I don't like an occasional scene in a novel but how often do I need to read about the same couple doing it every other minute? I think this book would have been better served to cut some of that stuff out and focus the readers attention on the main plot of the story. But I guess that is why it is classified as a romance novel and why I never read those types of books.

Couple questions. 1. Does the series get better as it goes along? 2. Is the rest of the series focussed so much on sex?
poneeboy53

Currently Reading: Golden Fox

Postby Nefer » Thu May 07, 2009 1:02 pm

I would hesistate to classify this series as romance - real romances are a lot better (or worse :lol: ) than this!

To answer your questions -

1. Yup, it does get better. She goes into the more details of the war and associated problems (trying not to give too much away). Subsequent books see the main characters travel to America and we see the start of the civil war. Around book 3, she drops out of the 1st person view, so we get a bit of jumping between the 2 story-telling types.

2. I would say the strength of the series lies in the characters themselves - and since they are married (?!) we will see sex scenes. It's been a while since I've read the books so I can't remember how many, but I do seem to recall that they're not as frequent. But then again, the scenes don't bother me. If you've read Jean Auel's work you'll know that Gabaldon's scenes really help to enhance the plot! I will say that I skipped over the scenes in Wilbur's latest books as he doesn't do a super good job with them (lol).

The books are my favourites because the characters she has created are very strong and as a reader, they pull you into their lives completely.

Book 2 is good, 3 is a little weak (consider it a bridge book) and the rest actually get better. Give Dragonfly in Amber a chance. :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:45 pm

I am presently reading the second book in the series Dragonfly in Amber.I intend to read the complete series.As much as I an enjoying the read my only comment is it is very,very,heavy in the romance department for my own personal liking ( male chauvinist here )The Outlander series is also written and the story told looking at it from a womens eyes and point of view.What I will say is this my wife is a big reader and she has read the complete series and I think it was the most enjoyable read she has ever had - now I know why - very romantic books for a women to read - she is love with the primary character James Fraser
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby Nefer » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Ah Jamie... Most well written character ever!

Just so you know, at some point the P.O.V switches around so you get to see events from Jamie's perspective.
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:19 pm

Nefer wrote:Ah Jamie... Most well written character ever!

Just so you know, at some point the P.O.V switches around so you get to see events from Jamie's perspective.

Yes I have heard that before - going to give it a go - but cant take to many more Claire and Jamie making out chapters - give me a good lion hunt over a make out scene anyday
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby johnrogers » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:11 am

johnrogers wrote:
Nefer wrote:Ah Jamie... Most well written character ever!

Yes I have heard that before - going to give it a go - but cant take to many more Claire and Jamie making out chapters - give me a good lion hunt over a make out scene anyday
Actually thanks for that - I needed a little push to move on with it - do not get me wrong here the reading is extreme quality - but the romance clare making out with Jamie is almost how every chapter ends - I will continue on again thanks because theres a lot of books in the Outlander series
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby poneeboy53 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Well I have read all six and have to agree the books did get better specially after they made it to America. She is a little long winded but i love the characters and am totally committed to the stories even though they could be a bit shorter and still accomplish much of what she was trying to tell. The only problem is that the series is not over and i just finished Echo in the Bone and it is totally different because it is a cliffhanger and leaves the reader not knowing what happened with key subjects and people from this past story. The rest of her books have not been that way. I am not going to like playing the waiting game until the next book comes out.

Has anyone else read the John Grey side stories? I don't think they hold nearly the same hold on me as the Outlander series does.
poneeboy53

Currently Reading: Golden Fox

Previous

Return to Other Authors