Bernard Cornwell

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Bernard Cornwell

Postby Penitent » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:27 pm

If you love WS you will enjoy Bernard Cornwell. He has written about forty historical fiction books and five maritime thrillers.

The Shape series just reached volume twenty and counting. The Arthur Trilogy is probably the best retelling of the “legend” out there. It reads a little like fantasy and it takes a little to start. But if you have the patience and make it pass the first 200 pages of the first volume “The Winter King” it is a fascinating read that will stay with you for a long time.

If you want to give him a shot I would recommend to pick up “Sharpe’s Tiger” the first of the Sharpe Series chronologically. Short, sweet and very good.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Penitent » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:08 pm

I have completed the “Arthur Trilogy”. And I can’t wait to recommend it to everyone. It is a retelling of the Arthurian legend. For those of you familiar with Cornwell you know what to expect. For those or you not familiar the writing stile is brutal and poetic at the same time. Nobody, in my opinion; writes battle scenes today like Cornwell. You will be acquainted with several characters and go with them in a journey of several years.
The first volume is “The Winter King” and if it gets you hooked you’ll come back for the rest.

If you like historical fiction with a touch in this case of legend/fantasy; don’t miss out!
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Penitent » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:23 pm

If you enjoy Historical Fiction Bernard Cornwell’s website contains a very interesting section named “reading Club” where everybody can recommend books. Some of the selections are excellent and Wilbur’s books are recommended several times.

Below the website if you are. interested.

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:45 pm

I picked up Winter King from the library today Penn. I'll let you know what I think of it, I'll try and get some reading done after the mandatory 'read the assigned text' nonsense for school!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Nefer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:31 pm

I'm more than half way through and disappointed to report that the book has not been very good so far. I want more Arthur, and what I get is the life story of his companion. If I'm not done reading the book by Saturday I'll have to give it up as a bad job :(
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Penitent » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:38 pm

There is a lot of Arthur and Merlin coming up; it is a trilogy after all. I liked the way is being narrated by Derfel and his relationship with Arthur. I thought the different take on Lancelot was very interesting. And of course there is Guinevere… as Merlin says “the world would have been better off had she be drowned at birth”, but for some reason I disagree…
Last edited by Penitent on Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Rivaan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:42 pm

Haha! Back when I was in school, the library had the Arthur trilogy and I felt like giving it a go.. very glad I did! I loved the books so much that I even bought the audiobooks afterwards! (read by Tim Pigott Smith)
Rivaan

Postby Penitent » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:02 pm

Nefer Wrote:
If I'm not done reading the book by Saturday I'll have to give it up as a bad job

What! Harry Potter is going to take over Arthur! What is going on in the world anymore...?
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:30 pm

LoL... The problem I'm having with the books is that I feel like I'm missing something. I don't feel a part of the Arthurian world... these are just events and I am impartial viewer. I don't like (or hate) any character right now!! In fact, I'm kinda annoyed at the portrayal of Lancelot as a wussy, after spending my life thinking of him as a hero.

The other Arthurian legend books I've read have pulled me in - this one hasn't. I'll keep at it though, I'm skipping class tomorrow so I'll have all day to finish it :)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Penitent » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:12 pm

I still think it is the best retelling of the legend. What I like about the books it’s precisely how the characters are portrayed, with their virtues and defects; instead of just heroes or villains. In fact, sometimes your point of view of certain characters changes from hero to villain and back depending on circumstances and decisions those characters make.

If you get into it you’ll love characters and then hate them 200 pages later and then love them again after they redeem themselves or vice versa. To me this is what makes those books great even more than the story itself.

And I think the take on Lancelot is masterful. Nefer, if you think he is a wussy you have not seen anything yet…
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:24 pm

I'm done with "Winter King". Of all the characters, I like Merlin the best. Everyone else was flat and very dry... However, I liked the last bit of the story with Merlin sending them on the quest of the Holy Grail, so I'll keep reading. Hope it gets better!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Re: Bernard Cornwell

Postby FanfromCan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:37 pm

Bernard Cornwell does something that no one else does. At the end of his books he includes a "Historical Note" which explains what/ and how much --- he made up in that story. Besides the Sharpe series he has written other trilogies -one about the English longbowmen and the other about Alfred the Great that are brilliant. The Arthur/Merlin books --the Warlord Chronicles are the exception. I enjoyed them but I would classify them as historical fantasy.

Nefer and Penitent if you want a very believable Arthur/Merlin series check out "A Dream of Eagles" written by Jack Whyte (lives in BC). While I'm reading it I'm thinking .....you know... it could have happened like this. Web site below

http://www.camulod.com/
Readers are novel people.
FanfromCan

Currently Reading: World Without End

Postby Nefer » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:09 am

I'm a huge Jack Whyte fan! I read his Camulod stuff first and really got me into Arthurian legend. I was really disappointed with Cornwell's treatment, glad I'm not the only one who felt that way.
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Brasil1962 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:20 pm

Cornwell did not impressed me that much. After reading his work on the Sharpe's series I found that he copied a lot of the Character of Horatio Hornblower from C. S. Forester. I am not inclined to follow his stories, but then again he might be your cup of tea. I like a lot of original work and creativity and WS provides these elements to the adventure.
Brasil1962

Currently Reading: Time to Die

Postby TeeKay21 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:52 pm

hi every one I'm new to this site so if I've written this in the wrong place or not posted it correctly please let me know!!

I'm just posting to say "hi" to all the users of this excellent web site!!

I've read everything that Wilbur Smith has written (that i know about) and enjoyed all of it. Does he write under any other names??

I am currently reading Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell and have just finished the first chapter. For those of you familiar with the Grail series it is looking to be in the same vein. Well worth picking up.

Hopefuly I will be a regular reader and poster in these forums and I am looking forward to reading more of the friendly and well written posts that I've enjoyed so far.
TeeKay21

Currently Reading: azincourt

Postby ddeeanderson » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:25 am

This guy writes the best battle scenes ever!! No one here has mentioned the Saxon Series. I love all of his stuff but I think that this one needs to be mentioned as well. It takes place in England when the Vikings are invading and it is the first book I've read where you actually chear for the Saxons, all other books about them it seems are against the Saxons. It is a wonderful series about Pagans vs. Christians, Vikings vs. Saxons and one man caught in the middle. He was born of nobility in England but captured by and raised by the vikings. It is amazing. As for the Arthur trilogy I enjoyed this as well but I agree as does Cornwell on his site that it takes a little too long to get into the part of the story with Arthur in it, but he does lay the groundwork for the whole trilogy in this first part of the novel.
ddeeanderson

Currently Reading: Warlock

Return to Other Authors