I have a copy of the Quest in my hot little hands!

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series.

Postby Kate4Tanus » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:11 am

Reading is going very well - I'm up to about page 280 I believe, and I am getting into it now! I can't wait to talk to everyone else! I have no-one really to talk to about it except Em of course (ihearnefie) but she isn't up to where I am! I am going crazy!
'You were ever more than a tutor to me,' Memnon answered softly. 'You where the father I never knew.'
Kate4Tanus

Postby Nefer » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:59 am

ityping with eyes closed

I'm sure we don't have spoilers anywhere in this thread... but to make sure, I'm keeping my eyes shut! I think we have a spoiler thread already for Quest, how about we use that one to discuss any kind of detail about the book, and leave this one for general impressions?
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby i_heart_nefie » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:23 pm

I can tell you are trying so hard not to be spoiled Nefer!!! How much longer do you have to wait??

OMG KATE! I HATE YOU (i actually love you :))
"I would very much like to come hunting with you please...." - Little Mem
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Location: On board the 'Sprite' with the Courtneys, or QLD, AUS
Currently Reading: The Sunbird

Postby Bee » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:09 am

Too long! Until mid-May... but the wait (I'm hoping) is going to be worth it! :)
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:54 am

May 15 to be uber precise, haha! I think we're the last to get the book, so I'll have to avoid all the Quest threads till then!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Kate4Tanus » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:09 pm

Oh that sucks! They should release it at the same time so we can all enjoy it together!
'You were ever more than a tutor to me,' Memnon answered softly. 'You where the father I never knew.'
Kate4Tanus

Postby Allira » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:21 pm

Is there any reason one of us Aussies or those in England cant get a copy and send it on over to the those who dont have a copy?...Just a thought...my hard cover copy was $49.95 though, not $29.95 like some lucky peeps...it sure would beat having to wait.
xxxHugs from Down Underxxx
Allira
Allira

Postby Ada » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:49 am

Allira, England has it now. It's Canada that's screaming & I don't blame them. The reason no one is sending copies etc. I'm guessing is due to the anonymity status of members plus the currency exchange it would entail.

How's everyone's "Quest" reading going & more importantly, what do you all think of it?

I'm now up to Page 308 and I'm still enjoying it. In fact, I like it better than The Triumph of the Sun and Warlock. I read both of those within the last couple of months so they are still fresh in my mind.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby Nefer » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:22 pm

Ada wrote:Allira the currency exchange it would entail.

Yep, by the time we paid import taxes and regular taxes, we'd prolly end up paying more than $40.

Thanks for the offer though - its very sweet of you! :)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Soe » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:15 am

Heya guys i just thought id signup to this place, since i was so happy to find quest at the shops by accident.

But i jsut read ur comments, i have paypal and use ebay, can put up copies for u guys if ud like? i dont assume to make profit, just a way to securely transfer funds?

Peace (page 101, so far its a good read, little different to others but its deffinately heating up!)

ps really wish i registered as Demeter now :(
ADD MSN =D
Soe

Postby Egyptian Eyes » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:31 am

Hi. I am new here.

I have read and adored river god and warlock, and was thrilled about the quest, which i discovered just last week ...and by sheer accident at that. In one of the major bookstores here in Australia, i saw a poster featuring new releases. i then saw that one of the novels was a WS one, and i thought, "is that an egyptian motif on the cover? If so..."

And it was. needless to say i got the quest right away and have commenced it. I look forward to reading it, enjoying it, and to the outcome of the plot.
Sometimes, we get through adversity only by imagining what the world might be like if our dreams should ever come true.
~Arthur Golden, 'Memoirs of a Geisha'
Egyptian Eyes

Postby Monsoon » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:23 pm

Hi Soe and Egyptian eyes :D

Soe wrote:
ps really wish i registered as Demeter now

If you ask admin nicely i am sure you can get your name changed.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Nefer » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:37 pm

Hi Soe!

Thanks for the offer - I think I'll wait till May. I'm swamped with work right now anyway, and if I get a copy of the Quest I may just fail my practicum, :lol:

And if you send a Private Message to Matbow (our very capable Administrator :mrgreen:) with a request for a name change he will be happy to oblige you.
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Soe » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:55 am

I spose i should wait till the end of the quest, [spoiler]never know demeter could turn out to be a tool of the witch!! dun dun dunnn

...which is completely different to soe..:p[/spoiler]
ADD MSN =D
Soe

Re: I have a copy of the Quest in my hot little hands!

Postby Ramon » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:02 am

Finally I can post a reply in this thread.

Being a cheap Swede, I have had some difficulties laying my hot little hands on the Quest. I wanted to have it in paperback, so of course I had to wait until it was published in such format, and after it was published in paperback I tried to find it on a bookstore in Sweden. Either a "real" bookstore or an Internet based one. It is not to be found in a real book store in Sweden, and it hasn't been available oin an Internet store either.

Of course I could have ordered it from the UK, but since I'm so cheap, I didn't want to pay for postage and packaging.

Before Christmas I found a lot of other books I didn't have, on adlibris.se, which doesn't charge you for postage. The problem was that they didn't have The Quest. I set up myself on a waiting list on their site so I should get an email as soon as they had it.

A couple of weeks ago, an English colleague started to come to Sweden on a weekly basis. I asked him if he got pop in a book store and buy it for me. Sure, he said. This was 2 weeks ago.

Last Monday he told me he hadn't had time to get it, but he would try again in the weekend. On Tuesday I got an email from adlibris, saying they had got the book. Since it was really cheap on adlibris, I ordered it. They were only going to charge me 84 SEK (around £ 6.5). I ordered it and I sent an email to my colleague, asking him not to buy the book.

Today, he came to the office again. And, obviously he hadn't read me email... He had bought the book for me, and it cost £ 13.

Luckily I was able to cancel my order at adlibris...

But I think it's funny that it is twice as expensive buying the book in a book store in the UK, comparing to buy it on the Internet including postage and packaging...

Ah well. Time and money are two things I have plenty ;-)

Now, I just need to finish Elephant Song, and then I can read the Quest!
Ramon
Member+
Member+

Postby Matbow » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:18 pm

Ramon wrote:But I think it's funny that it is twice as expensive buying the book in a book store in the UK, comparing to buy it on the Internet including postage and packaging...

Lol! I rarely buy books from book stores for that exact reason, I don't know how they still manage to sewll any books considering they are at least 30% more expensive than amazon. £13 does seem a little steep for a paperback though; £7 is the norm from a book store here...

I hope you enjoy it after forking out that much!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Ada » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:14 am

As far as I know, the so called "Paperback" currently available for The Quest is only the "Trade Paperback" (TPB).
TPBs are the same size as the Hardbacks, have the paperback type flimsy covers and are published on better quality paper than normal paperbacks - hence their prices usually being cheaper than the hardback but dearer than the normal paperback.

According to Pan Macmillan Australia, the "normal" paperback will be available here in Australia on 1st April, 2008. I'm guessing it will be available even sooner in other countries. :D
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby Matbow » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:40 am

Ada wrote:As far as I know, the so called "Paperback" currently available for The Quest is only the "Trade Paperback" (TPB).
TPBs are the same size as the Hardbacks, have the paperback type flimsy covers and are published on better quality paper than normal paperbacks - hence their prices usually being cheaper than the hardback but dearer than the normal paperback.

I went into Waterstones this lunch time and I found the book in question - £12.99. I only paid £9 for the hardback last year!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Previous

Return to The Egyptians