Thread for...Hungry As The Sea

Want to talk about any other Wilbur books?

How would you rate this book?

10 - This book should be preserved for all time
40%
25%
15%
20%
No votes
5 - I can't decide if I liked it or not.
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
1 - Quick! Let's burn all the copies we can lay our hands on!!
No votes

Total votes : 20

Thread for...Hungry As The Sea

Postby Nathan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:31 pm

I finished reading this novel today, my third in two weeks, and now I feel it is my duty to share my thoughts and feelings on this 1978 offering with you all, as well as setting up a poll for you to share your own feelings.

YET AGAIN I have thoroughly enjoyed reading a book by Wilbur Smith. Whilst reading through it and becoming more and more engrossed in it and indeed, you could say that I became HUNGRY for more!!!

The action begins right at the start with the expedition to save the Golden Adventurer and I could feel the claustrophobia of the Warlock and the terror of he stranded passengers who Samantha tries to save so vividly that I was no longer reading a book but I was there with the characters enduring it all alongside them. Wilbur's way of writing is so deep and engrossing that every one of his novels I have had the pleasue of reading has succeeded in pulling me in and taking me along for the ride.

First things first - The first section onboard Warlock. I immediately took to David Allen and Beauty Baker as complex and developed characters who I could easily believe really existed, both 100% loyal and dedicated. Some of Baker's quotes raised a smile as I was reading. These are definitely two men I would like to have on my team. The Trog was an excellent character too, but why did I begin to think of him as the tug's medium? :D

Another thing I really enjoyed about this book was the pacing. After the long (but not boring) expedition the novel took off like a rocket when Duncan Alexander, a man who - although he is not a terrorist or a fanatic - relly does rise to the limits of evil - makes his entrance. A great deal of suspension is also mixed in for good measure, particularly whenever Nick comes into contact with his obsessive ex-wife. At times I felt like crying out: "Don't do it! Keep away from her!" and Peter's involvement towards the end really had he hairs standing on the back of my neck.

The Golden Dawn, although not a living being, is also a central character and when reading the descriptions of her sheer size I could only picture the Knock Nevis (once the world's largest operational ship) in my mind and the confrontation she has with Samantha's fishing boat had me so close to the edge of my seat I was in severe danger of falling off.

Just a quick word about the finale - WHAT AN AMAZING CLIMAX!! I had some truly fantastic movie-like images in my head during the last 50 pages or so.

Overall, 10/10
Nathan

Re: Thread for...Hungry As The Sea

Postby Penitent » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:04 am

Nathan,

I can’t agree more with your review. This is one of WS gems and in my opinion one of the best, if not the best stand-alone. I also think it will be one of the ones that would translate best on the big screen, and what a movie it would be!
With today’s advances in computer generated effects the high sea action would be breathtaking on the screen!
I keep thinking that Wolfgang Petersen (“The Perfect Storm”) or Peter Weir (“Master and Commander”) would be perfect as directors, and who knows what Steven Spielberg or Peter Jackson could do with such material! Well… I guess they are busy with other projects :D
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby peersy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:31 pm

Hi Guys, I too just finished reading this novel today.
One word 'Fantastic'

As my 1st Wilbur Smith novel, im glad it was Hungry As The Sea :D

I have most of the courtneys collection that were passed down to me from my father, but i was thinking maybe to read a couple more stand alone's first.

What do you guys think?

Peersy
peersy

Currently Reading: Monsoon

Postby Nefer » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:53 pm

Try the series books - Courtneys are the best! Your opinion of WS will go waay up!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:32 am

Peersy, I liked this one also, all of the stand alones are better than average. Try "A Time To Die" it is a Courtney novel that can stand alone and would introduce some of the Courtney family. It is also a great book.
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh

Postby delby » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:39 am

ive gone for a seven and i think its maybe the lowest score ive ever given a wilbur I think it was the predictable ending that did it for me although i still enjoyed it alot
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby nebogatoff » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:14 am

This was the first WS book I read back in 1980. Couldnt put it down! Methinks it's time to read it again!
nebogatoff

Postby bookluvr75019 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:53 pm

I just joined the forum and was tooling around when I saw this topic. I'm an avid reader and book collector and have enjoyed Wilbur Smith's books for over 30 years. Hungry as the Sea is without a doubt my favorite book of all time by any author. I have over 1500 first edition hardbacks in my collection, (most of them signed), and the only one that I've gone back and read more than once is Hungry as the Sea. I've read it at least four times and hopefully plan to read it a couple of more times before I go to the great remainder bin in the sky.
bookluvr75019

Currently Reading: The Burning Wire

Postby SOELEY » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:10 am

I have just this morning finished reading this book. A very enjoyable read.

Although my introduction to WS was by way of his Egyptian series, I am now reading all his books in order by which they were written.
SOELEY

Currently Reading: Shock Wave - Clive Cussler

Postby pupho » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:53 pm

I bought this book when it was first released and have read it countless times, indeed I am on my 3rd copy. Every time I read it I realise what a fantastic imagery is cunjoured up in my mind and this makes it one of my best loved WS books of all time.(the others being 1) A time to die, 2) Wild Justice, 3)The leopard hunts in darkness, 4) The eye of the tiger, 5)The Sunbird
pupho

Currently Reading: The Quest

Return to Standalone Wilbur Smith books