The Recommendation List!

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

The Recommendation List!

Postby Matbow » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:46 pm

Most of the books I read are those that have been recommended to me by someone I know/family/a forum member. That got me thinking - we should have a definitive list of our recommended authors!

So, if you guys want to post two or three of your favourite authors, with a (very) brief description of their genre/style I (or one of the mods) will add it to this post.

I think it's fair to say there's no need to mention Wilbur Smith or JK Rowling - we all know about them already!

Recommended Authors!

- Phillip Pullman; fantasy - aimed at young adults, but popular with adults too. "His Dark Materials" trilogy is a prize winning series and is being adapted into a film starring Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig. More info here

- James Clavell; historical fiction primarily set in the Far East. Epics!

- Jeff Gulvin; little known author writing crime thrillers. Amazing detail and factual content. Complex, twisting plots.

- Ken Follet; Thriller. WWII, historical fiction.

- Bernard Cornwell; Historical Fiction.

- Daniel Silva; Spy Thriller. Primary focus on the Israeli/Palestinian issue.

- Minette Walters; Psychological Crime Detectory thingies.

- Stephen King; Horror, thrillers

- H.G. Wells; Science Fiction, Thriller, Drama.

Last edited by Matbow on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Matbow » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:36 pm

So no ones got any favourite authors to recommend then?
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Penitent » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:11 pm

Sure, I have too many, but here are a few;

Ken Follet: Thriller. WWII, historical fiction.
Bernard Cornwell: Historical Fiction.
Daniel Silva: Spy Thriller. Primary focus on the Israeli/Palestinian issue
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby delby » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:12 pm

Minette Walters- Psychological Crime Detectory thingies VVGood.
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby ellyattc » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:42 pm

Stephen King : Horror, thrillers

H.G. Wells: Science Fiction, Thriller, Drama.

Chris
Fan of Genesis and Wilbur Smith!
ellyattc

Postby John R » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:39 pm

I recommend George Orwell - political, sataire.

Jopseph Heller's Catch 22 is probably the funniest book i've ever read too. Genius
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Egyptian Eyes » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 am

How about Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden? it is a beautifully written jewel of a book.

I know it has become highly popular especially because it was recently made into a movie, but the novel was much, much better. I have read and re-read the book years before the movie ever came out. And i was quite disappointed with the film interpretation.

I repeat: the book is way better. It is poetic, dramatic, and romantic. :)
Sometimes, we get through adversity only by imagining what the world might be like if our dreams should ever come true.
~Arthur Golden, 'Memoirs of a Geisha'
Egyptian Eyes

Postby Nefer » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:47 pm

Mistress of Spices by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. I haven't read her other books, but this one is magic.

The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. Follows the life of a time-traveler - very highly addictive books!

Earth's Children Series by Jean M. Auel. Follows the life of a young Cro-Magnon girl, set in the last Ice-age. Brilliantly conceived concept!

Boudica by Manda Scott. Follows the life of the Boudica and how she became legend. Very very powerful - I cried when I read the last book.

All the books by Margaret George, but especially her latest, Helen. I love her books, they are 'autobiographical' accounts of famous people - from Kings and Queens to Mary Magdalene.

James Clavell's already got a mention!

Jack Whyte - almost forgot about him! Not only is he my home-boy (sort of, we live in the same province :lol:) he also has a brilliant series about King Arthur and Camelot, called the Dream of Eagles series. He's currently working on a series about the Templar Knights, also very intriguing.

Happy reading all!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Yakumo » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:54 pm

Douglas Adams decd, Humorous space travel

James Herbert Fictional Horror.

Dean R Koontz More Horror.
Yakumo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Gabaldon / Jakes

Postby vogster » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:42 am

After reading the above list, I would have to echo the recommendation of Diana Gabaldon's outlander series, push come to shove it would be hard to say which series (her's or WS's) I enjoy more. I do not have time to sit and read, so I consume my books in audio format, and a good reader adds a great deal to the enjoyment. the reader who does DG's books is outstanding.

One author I did not see listed above which I would throw in the mix is John Jakes. His works of historical fiction are also great reads (or listens).
vogster

Re: The Recommendation List!

Postby daz80j » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:52 am

Dan Brown -Angels and Demons
and i forgot the authur but the book was called MIRACLE STRAIN......good book
FOR WHAT SHALL IT PROFIT A MAN, IF HE SHALL GAIN THE WHOLE WORLD, AND LOSE HIS OWN SOUL ?
daz80j

Currently Reading: A TIME TO DIE

Postby Nefer » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:34 pm

Adding Nefertiti by Michelle Moran. It's not as spell binding as RG, and it could really do with more vividness, but having said that... It was pretty good!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Rivaan » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:14 pm

Although I have only read the first book in the trilogy, I would like to recommend The Black Magician trilogy, by
Trudi Canavan. I have read The Magicians Guild, have just started The Novice. and will shortly go on to read The High Lord.

It is fantasy fiction and is about magicians. But I would prefer this tale over Harry Potter anyday. :P
The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom, and the unknown.
Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To bow before the one
is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the unknown, but never to the unknowable.
The man who bows in that final direction is either a saint or a fool. I have no use for either.
- Yama, Lord of Light
Rivaan

Postby Brasil1962 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:13 pm

I like epic adventures and historical fiction so here comes my list of authors:

Stephen Hunter. Adventure, military fiction, Snipers. He has a character named Bob "The Nailer" Swagger thathe has created a series and some might find him interesting specially "Time To Hunt" . The Master Sniper was his first book and its a good story.

William Goldman. Goes without saying a witty and warm author of "The Princes Bride", "The Year of The Comet" and many other stories that have captivated me.

Don Coldsmith. Historical fiction of the plains. One of the few authors that developed a series of books and novels based on the indians of the Plains in his series of The Spanish Bit.
Ernest Hemingway. Big Papa goes without saying he wrote about adventure and politics ( even if you don't agree with them)

Bruce Catton. Incredible researcher and historian probably the only writer with the true facts of the Civil War.

Richard Feynman. Witty and inteligent scientist that wrote about his life and discoveries that he made in Physics that led to his Quantum mechanics theory. Really not a boring writer all teh pages in his books are full of humanity, and discovery.

Stephen J Gould. Another scientist although he was more about science in the understanding of our world through discoveries in Biology.

Nelson Demille. Great books of detective adventures, ne of his best characters is John Corey and all his antics and rebellion to get to the truth.

James Michener. Historical fiction novels-epics. "Centenial" was one of his best books. A little of WS work might seem inspired by Michener's character development.

Humberto Eco. Author of varied style, his most popular book around the world has been "The Name Of The Rose".

Larry McMurtry. Historical Fiction and fiction series. The "Lonesome Dove" trilogy is one of the best of the western style.

Miguel Angel Asturias. Nobel prize winner and author of several historical novels about Guatemala. One of the Best in exposing tyrany and politics for profit from the third world. In many ways not diferent from Wilbur Smith in exposing corruption.

Paulo Coelho. Greta Brazilian author of great human stories. His most famous book "The Alchemist" is a work of poetry and fantasy in a novel form. Truly inspirational!

Peter Mayle. Fun of all the happenings of his life as a new immigrant in France. HIs adventures had been made into video by BBC "A Year In Provance" his books are full of adventure and life in the south of france.

Lastly A book that I don't thinks can be found in English but is truly a great book By Louis Pergaud, La Guerre Des Boutons (The war of the Buttons) Is another great adventure very little known of friendship and childhood, and growing poor an rich in France.
Ihope you enjoy some of this books I certainly will endeavor in some of the authors mentioned by previous posts.
Brasil1962

Currently Reading: Time to Die

Postby Etaeb » Fri May 09, 2008 9:53 am

Terry Goodkind has written a series of books about Richard, a former Woods Guide, who has a weighty responsibility thrust upon his shoulders. What follows is a tale of magic, mystery, murder and questions. I would not recommend it to anyone under 16 though, as the content is adult in nature.

It was never intended as a Fantasy, but the world and characters Terry Goodkind wanted to create doesn't exist within this one. The imagery,philosophy and characters are superb.

The books in order are:

Wizard's First Rule
Stone of Tears
Blood of the Fold
Temple of the Winds
Soul of the Fire
Faith of the Fallen (excellent!)
Pillars of Creation
Naked Empire
Chainfire
Confessor
Phantom (have not yet read the last three, but the come highly recommended)

[plus Debt of Bones which is a prequel, but should only be read after Stone of tears]

The BEST thing about this is that Wizard's First Rule was picked up by ABC and Disney to become a syndicated 22 hour series. It airs in Fall 2008. Casting has not yet been finalised, but John Shiban heads up the writing team. Sam Raimi (of Spiderman fame) is producing.

Do yourself a favour - pick up Wizard's First Rule BEFORE it airs in September (United States only so far).
Etaeb

Currently Reading: River God

Re: Nicholas Guild

Postby Mr de Kok » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:35 am

Penitent wrote:Sure, I have too many, but here are a few;

Ken Follet: Thriller. WWII, historical fiction.
Bernard Cornwell: Historical Fiction.
Daniel Silva: Spy Thriller. Primary focus on the Israeli/Palestinian issue

Ken Follett is definitely worth reading. From what I know his book "pillars of the Earth" ranks as number one on the top 100 list.

I am now reading the follow up "world without end"

But if I may make a suggestion:

try to read 1. The Assyrian and 2. the sequence novel "the blood star" both by Nicholas Guild.
You will not regret it.

In some ways I would rate these two novels as even better than any of Wilbur Smith's writings.

And I am not making this statement lightly !!
Mr de Kok

Currently Reading: World without end

Postby Nefer » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:48 pm

Currently engrossed with the "Troy" series by David Gemmel. Very entertaining series and well written :)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby trevmack » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:19 am

Sticking to an African theme, Robert Ruark has written several pieces and novels based in Kenya. 'Something of Value' is based on the Mau Mau uprising in the 1950s and 'Uhuru' is more of a follow up book but focuses on the runup to Kenyan independance. Ruarks' books are most likely out of print and are hard to find, but great reads.
trevmack

Currently Reading: Ruark,Uhuru

Postby tonypark » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:47 am

Bernard Cornwell's great. Currently reading Azincourt, which is brilliant. So far, I reckon it's one of his best.

Looking forward to Nelson demille's new one, the gatehouse.

If we're all into Africa (and I assume we are), and you like crime books, try South African writer Deon Meyer. His stuff is all set in contemporary South Africa. Similar style to the American crime writer, Michael Connelly.

And speaking of Michael Connelly I've just bought his latest, Brass Verdict, which I am sweating on my wife finishing. If anyone's read The Lincoln Lawyer (his best book so far, I reckon) you might like this one as he reprises his character Mickey Haller, and also has his long-term character from other books, Harry Bosch in there as well. Should be a corker.

I would also recommend people read my books (Far Horizon, Zambezi, African Sky, Safari and Silent Predator), but that would just be crass of me, so I won't (And if I was going to do that I would I have made up a new user name). (Thanks to some of you in the past, though, who have said nice things about my books).

I was lucky enough to meet Wilbur Smith for the second time earlier this year in a restaurant (owned by a friend of mine) in Cape Town, and remain a huge wilbur fan.

tp
tonypark

Postby Alyssa » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:38 pm

Noah Gordon, Isabel Allende, some are great others not that great, James Patterson, Ken Follet, the pillars are just great!Gabriel Garcia Marques (cant beat nobel price) Arturo Perez-Reverte, (Alatriste) and the old one, Alexandre Dumas...
Alyssa

Currently Reading: The White Nile

Next

Return to Other Authors