Author Loyalty

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Author Loyalty

Postby FanfromCan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:32 pm

Apparently it is very "English" (perhaps commonwealthian) to read all the books published by your favourite author. Americans are more fickle in their reading habits. And we all know the French don't read. (Oops sorry ......-Canadians are often caught putting down their Quebec brethern. That's because they wanted to separate)
Readers are novel people.
FanfromCan

Currently Reading: World Without End

Re: Author Loyalty

Postby Etaeb » Fri May 09, 2008 10:00 am

I tried that with Stephen King, Graham Masterton and a few others. I failed.

It's often easier to read a series, but then only in order. For example, I don't know if JK Rowling has written anything other than Harry Potter. I know that one of my fav authors Terry Goodkind has only written one series, (consisting of 11 books and one prequel). He plans to continue writing, but within a different genre. I probably won't read his stuff again if say for example he starts writing within a Western theme, or a book on how to go Trout-fishing. It doesn't appeal to me.

The same way I have no strong urge to read about the Courteneys, although I haven't altogether decided against it.
Etaeb

Currently Reading: River God

Postby bluebird » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:02 pm

I find that I try to read all works by my favs. I have only managed to do this with one, Jean Auel. I tired of Stephen King an Ann Rice. With Mitchner, I gave up on Iberia.

I feel that I stand a good chance with WS, I could see my self reading all of his works. I have not been uphappy with any on his works yet.
bluebird

Currently Reading: Reign of the favored

Postby tedd » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:47 pm

I think that all book readers tend to follow their favorite authors when they are happy with the first book(s). I found myself becoming selective with WS books and got more and more disappointed with his most recent efforts. When I read "Quest" I said to myself "That's all folks" but now that I understand he is reverting to his previous style for his new book I shall definitely continue with him.
One author I got hooked on is Michael Connelly and am always on the lookout for his books. I have always avoided books by females, probably because I considered they couldn't write about violent activities - e.g. hunting, crime etc with any degree of reality. Recently have tried Patricia Cornwell, Elizabeth George, and a couple of others, just to convince myself I'm not prejudiced - but am not impressed.
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Alyssa » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:21 pm

Mmm... when I publish, if ever do, I dare you read my book, see if that changes your opinion about us writing girls
Alyssa

Currently Reading: The White Nile

Postby tedd » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:12 pm

Goodonya Alyssa - I thought my comment might elicit more voluble and abusive replies - I'll be only too happy to read your book, just advise me when it's published. I'm trying to write my memoirs and am finding it hard going, so have nothing but admiration for somebody who manages to satisfactorily finish their first epistle. I also have a few friends of my vintage who also are struggling to put their lives onto paper, - but who is going to read it when it's completed? That's another story!! Thanks for your reply.
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:23 pm

And I would recommend Diana Gabaldon, Manda Scott & Jean Auel as 3 female authors who do a splendid job of depicting violence :) Try them before you give up on female authors entirely :) George is wonderful writer, but there are no epic battle scenes in her books, she's not that kind of writer.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby chookie » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:16 am

I am currently reading the coutney series and in order at that to.
When I am finished with them I will move to the ballantyne series.
The egyption series I am not a keen reader of egyption in general so its not WS as a writer at all.
The stand alone in general will be the last in his books.
After I have read all his books I dont know what I should read.

Regards.
chookie

Currently Reading: In between books.

Postby Osipov » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:02 am

Reply to FanfromCan

I disagree with you : some people in France are able to read and curiously some even know how to write. If you want to check, please look for les "Mémoires d'Osipov" on google. But perrhaps, you can't read french. Can you?

Regards

AE
Osipov

Currently Reading: Power of the Sword

Return to Other Authors