Rhodes Indaba in Angels Weep

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Ballantyne series

Rhodes Indaba in Angels Weep

Postby umtali1964 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:32 pm

In "The Experiences of Rhodesia's Pioneer Women", published in 1938, there is a chapter called "With Rhodes at the Peace Indaba". Molly Colenbrander and her sister were invited by Rhodes to attend the second of three indabas. There is a lovely photo of Johann Colenbrander, J. McDonald, P. Jourdan, Rhodes, Alex Boggie and Mollie under a mimosa tree. According to the author, Jeannie M. Boogie, "Molly was an excellent shot, an expert horsewoman, and a clever native linguist, all of which she had learned in Zululand." She was a beauty as well, the very model of many of Smith's pioneer women.

I obtained my frayed, soft cover book from a dusty old trunk at Chancellor Jr. School, Umtali. i lived in Southern Rhodesia as it transitioned to Rhodesia. That and a small carving of the zimbabwe bird have become cherished souvenirs.
umtali1964

Currently Reading: the angels weep

Re: Rhodes Indaba in Angels Weep

Postby Nefer » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:12 pm

How cool - how did you obtain the book?
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby umtali1964 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:45 am

We were looking for a trunk to ship my things home via surface mail, meaning boat. The book was in the trunk. I was thinking of posting the photo of Rhodes at the second indaba meeting. Is there any way to do that?
umtali1964

Currently Reading: the angels weep

Postby jeffw » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi fellow Rhodie!
I too, am a sucker for old Rhodesiana books. Read them often, take pleasure from them before the depression of missing home sets in. Also have a similar, soapstone Zimbabwe bird and a locket filled with gold nuggets from a claim near the ruins. One that I worked in the seventies before the 'chaos'. Miss all my yester years. But at least we have the memories and can relive through WS's books. I often wonder who will fill his shoes?
Take care,
Jeff
jeffw

Postby Matbow » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:51 pm

umtali1964 wrote:I was thinking of posting the photo of Rhodes at the second indaba meeting. Is there any way to do that?

You can either use the "upload attachment" option when making a post (underneath the save, preview, submit buttons) or you can upload the pic to a site like photobucket and post a link to it here.

Hope this helps.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Return to The Ballantynes