Wild Justice Grenades

Want to talk about any other Wilbur books?

Wild Justice Grenades

Postby William W. Gill » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:43 am

In the opening chapter of "WILD JUSTICE", a detailed description is given of the type of grenades used by Ingrid, and how they were desiged to avoid discovery by electronic metal detectors.

One wonders what steps, if any, are being taken to prevent them being used by today's terrorists.
William W. Gill
William W. Gill

Postby Monsoon » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:17 pm

Yes its always going to be a problem, todays latest technological weapons designed to beat the enemy, will tomorrow be sitting in the hands of the enemy.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Terrorists and Plots from books

Postby mahound » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:49 am

Monsoon wrote:Yes its always going to be a problem, todays latest technological weapons designed to beat the enemy, will tomorrow be sitting in the hands of the enemy.

Dont know which bookit was, but apparently the whole idea of using an areoplane as a missile and crashing it into a building was in a fiction book about 3 - 5 years before Sept 11th 2001
mahound

Postby Monsoon » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:13 pm

Yes lots of plots can be picked up from fiction, i read 'Kara's Game' by Gordon Stevens and the plan there was to crash an airliner into the middle of London.

Strangely for me on 9/11 i had been reading 'H.M.S. Unseen' by Patrick Robinson and the very action i had been reading before the attack was the use of missiles to take down airliners over the mid Atlantic!
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Re: Terrorists and Plots from books

Postby E-Hoog » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:03 am

mahound wrote:
Monsoon wrote:Yes its always going to be a problem, todays latest technological weapons designed to beat the enemy, will tomorrow be sitting in the hands of the enemy.

Dont know which bookit was, but apparently the whole idea of using an areoplane as a missile and crashing it into a building was in a fiction book about 3 - 5 years before Sept 11th 2001

Tom Clancy uses it in Debt of Honour. It was actually quite scary, because I read that book only weeks before 9/11. And then again I read The Cell by Forbes, which revolves around a terrorist cell plotting to destroy London's bridges. And what do you know? Weeks later, as I was in London, it turned out to be 7/7. Couldn't go into town that day because of the tube bombings.

Since I've now barged up quite an old topic I might as well use it to discuss something I found peculiar. I bought Wild Justice about a year ago and finally got around to reading it. I had already read it, but hey, that's what I do. (I'm currently reading When the Lion Feeds for the fourth time, so...) What struck me was that when I opened Justice the dedication was to his new wife. Er... what? I don't know if anybody has a copy from 1979, but I'm pretty sure he didn't know his new wife back then. So he changed the dedication. This seems a bit callous to me.

Opinions?
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Re: Wild Justice Grenades

Postby Nefer » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:53 am

Really?! I must check my re-printed books and see if the dedications have changed.

Yah, totally sounds callous. I used to like reading his dedications to Danielle.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby E-Hoog » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:06 pm

I just checked my Sound of Thunder and Sparrow copies and those are also dedicated to his new wife. Thunder is from 66, which is 6 years before his new wife was born... I haven't checked all my books, but I'm guessing that anything printed in recent years holds this dedication. Still seems a bit weird to me.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:50 pm

By new wife we mean Mokhiniso, right?

How strange. He was super betrayed by Danielle though, maybe this is revenge? IDK. Very sad if true.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby tedd » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:14 pm

Enlighten me please Nefer - how was he super betrayed?
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby E-Hoog » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:46 am

Nefer wrote:By new wife we mean Mokhiniso, right?

How strange. He was super betrayed by Danielle though, maybe this is revenge? IDK. Very sad if true.

Yup her. It's one of those names I forget about 2.3 seconds after reading it :p
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:41 am

tedd - there was an article I read, and he has discussed, how Danielle kept from him the fact that his kids from his first marriage were trying to contact him. I'll find the article and post it for you. He says he found all this out after Danielle passed away from her illness.

A bit of it here

And full details in this article

E-Hoog - aw, unfair to Mokhiniso! She's a pretty woman, and it's a pretty name :) I didn't take WS for the kind of man who'd want to re-write history by re-dedicating his life's works. But who am I to judge? Just think it's sad because Danielle was in his life for a long time. They were even born in the same hospital - imagine!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Return to Standalone Wilbur Smith books