I have the Quest and met Wilbur Smith in person

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series.

I have the Quest and met Wilbur Smith in person

Postby Ems » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:31 pm

The Quest was published yesterday in England, I waited until today to buy it as Wilbur Smith was signing books today in my local town in Somerset.

I arrived at 11:34am outside my bookshop to find that already 10 people were already in the queue ahead of me, my Grandmother went in the shop and brought the book and my Grandparents left me in the queue to do a bit of shopping, when they came back I was already 26 pages (advantages of a photographic memory) into the story. My Grandfather took away the book from me and wouldn't let me have it until Wilbur Smith signed it. I was tongue tied when I met him and was so shy, he is such a nice person, he drew me into conversation and was really interested that I was studying Egyptology at University. He signed my book with "for Emma, best wishes Wilbur Smith"I also met his wife who was a really nice lady as well and talked to me a long time.

We went back after an hour and a half as I had left my camera at home but luckily my Grandfather had his in the car, I was really shy and my Grandmother literally had to push me next to him and his wife. I also got a great picture of him with his wife at the book store. As soon as my Grandfather downloads them, I will post them for you to see.
Ems

Postby Matbow » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:02 pm

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the photo's!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:39 pm

eek! How exciting for you!

I relate to being all shy and tongue tied! I've met Jean Auel & Diana Gabaldon, and was so amazed to be in their presence I couldn't think of anything to say! I think I may have babbled madly the 1st time I met Diana G, haha. I couldn't get a word out with Jean A. - my Mum had a longer conversation with her than I did!

Its so nice to know that WS is nice - bodes well for me :mrgreen: Can't wait to see your pics :) Thanks for offering to share them :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Bee » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:05 pm

I can't wait to see your pictures! Upload them soon!
Bee
Founder Member

Re: I have the Quest and met Wilbur Smith in person

Postby johnrogers » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:25 pm

Hello - If you have met Wilbur - I am sure you must have felt faint.I hold him in total awe - and it must have been a great pleasure to have been in his presence - for a moment in time - I have no comprehension how one man can have so much comprehension of so many facts - or has the ability to transmit them in such an easy manor,or to describe so much with so little - take care - Major Wilbur Fan
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Return to The Egyptians