Converted to E-Book - I Love Reading From My Kindle

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Converted to E-Book - I Love Reading From My Kindle

Postby johnrogers » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:38 pm

Somewhere very soon I am sure I will buy an ebook .I have never used one yet but my friends that have say it is great to use.Does anyone use one - if so give me some feedback and tell me what you think of reading off an ebook compared to a paperback novel or hardcover -Well I have not clicked the button on my mouse yet to make purchase but it will happen pretty soon.I have spoken to a few who own and use an ereader and there feedback is pretty thumbs up,they say they love it.My research says they are fantastic to read in heavy sunlight contrary to what people think.Not true they excel in the outdoor enviroment.Discovered this about ereaders,they have built in dictionaries,cursor over a word and instant disclosure,as well a dedicated reader can convert text to audio.Have you ever read a word in a book you did not know the real meaning of or have you ever nodded off reading a book ( turn on the audio because you can not see anymore after reading 300 pages that day ) You can also adjust font size for your own reading comfort.My friend prefers her dedicated reader over her new IPAD by the way.Ereader comparisons are just,the IPad I am sure is by far the most superior product today - As example the IPad is in color as the new gen kindle is black and white.If somebody handed me an IPAD I would take it in a nano second.But it is a computer not an ebook reader and the cost difference is major and justified.I would live with the glare issue for reading no problem.There is an interview with Charlie Rose and Jeff Bezos ( CEO of Amazon ) on You Tube that is an objective overlook of the Kindle Ereader that is worth watching.There are some WONDERFUL BOOK BARGAINS to be purchased with a kindle.Free Classics and a slew of a 1000 worthwhile reads for 99 cents or such.There are a Thousand free downloads available.You get what you pay for,but when you learn to navigate Amazons website there are truly many,many fantastic books in every genre that are free and worthwhile to read.One thing I noticed is WILBUR SMITHS novels are not discounted books by any means - WILBURS books I guess are still holding there value - Which is a good sign of a master of story telling.The reading experience is very pleasant and crispy clear to the eyes ( better than a novel ) You can read for hours without eyestrain - Fantastic device - You should get one -AUDIO CAPABLE is a feature that allows you to listen to the book rather than read it.Most books you download are voice enabled,by pressing a button on your Ereader converts book to an audio book.Now this is just a feature that I really do not use,but I am thinking about people whom are visually impaired how fantastic it must be for them.One feature that is great is the ability to customize your FONT and Line Spaceing,so hence you configure your page to exactly what your visual comfort zone is. :D :D :) :lol: :lol:
Last edited by johnrogers on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Re: Anyone Converted to Ebook Yet ?

Postby Matbow » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:02 pm

Thinking about it, but I'm not sure - I already stare at a computer screen 9 hours a day as it is...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby E-Hoog » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:22 am

Nope, not going to happen for me. If I read a book it should smell of book, feel like a book, and basically be a book :-). I take great pride in my book collection and can take up to half an hour staring them down, carefully weighing what should be my next read. I can see the advantages in an e-reader as a travelling tool, but even then I'd still take a real copy, weight be damned.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:04 pm

Well lets face it the world of electronics is upon us and the future is now.Even look at magazine publications and newspapers that have gone to the wind due to the internet highway and have stopped there paper publication.I will soon get an ereader of a sort,I am a bit of an electronic gadget fan,mostly I do research and buy them and give them to my kids or my wife - I think I am in awe of what has transpired over the last 50 years - gone from radio to hd 50 inch plasma tvs.Can anyone imagine what the next 50 years will bring us.- Think I will buy my wife an apple Ipad for christmas - and I sure would like to see a photo of EHOOGS book library.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby chookie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:57 am

I have seen the odd article on it but at this time I will stick to my paperback version of Wilbur Smith books.
chookie

Currently Reading: In between books.

Postby E-Hoog » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:25 am

johnrogers wrote:Well lets face it the world of electronics is upon us and the future is now.Even look at magazine publications and newspapers that have gone to the wind due to the internet highway and have stopped there paper publication.I will soon get an ereader of a sort,I am a bit of an electronic gadget fan,mostly I do research and buy them and give them to my kids or my wife - I think I am in awe of what has transpired over the last 50 years - gone from radio to hd 50 inch plasma tvs.Can anyone imagine what the next 50 years will bring us.- Think I will buy my wife an apple Ipad for christmas - and I sure would like to see a photo of EHOOGS book library.

Lol, it's not really a library (...yet :wink: ), but I'll post a photo someday. As books are concerned, I stand by my previous post, but John's mention of papers and magazines got me thinking. A newspaper subscription on an e-reader would appeal to me, since you throw papers out anyway. And especially all the crappy women-magazines my girlfriend buys could be stowed in an e-reader as far as I'm concerned. So books: no. Magazines and papers: yes.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:00 pm

chookie wrote:I have seen the odd article on it but at this time I will stick to my paperback version of Wilbur Smith books.
I remember when I made a choice not to buy a fax machine for my business when it came out feeling it was not necessary.Boy oh boy was I wrong on that decision.What I do believe is we all have our comfort zones and natural habits which we are all reluctant to change.But I do agree I like holding that paperback in my hands when reading
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby johnrogers » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:02 pm

E-Hoog wrote:
johnrogers wrote:Well lets face it the world of electronics is upon us and the future is now.Even look at magazine publications and newspapers that have gone to the wind due to the internet highway and have stopped there paper publication.I will soon get an ereader of a sort,I am a bit of an electronic gadget fan,mostly I do research and buy them and give them to my kids or my wife - I think I am in awe of what has transpired over the last 50 years - gone from radio to hd 50 inch plasma tvs.Can anyone imagine what the next 50 years will bring us.- Think I will buy my wife an apple Ipad for christmas - and I sure would like to see a photo of EHOOGS book library.

Lol, it's not really a library (...yet :wink: ), but I'll post a photo someday. As books are concerned, I stand by my previous post, but John's mention of papers and magazines got me thinking. A newspaper subscription on an e-reader would appeal to me, since you throw papers out anyway. And especially all the crappy women-magazines my girlfriend buys could be stowed in an e-reader as far as I'm concerned. So books: no. Magazines and papers: yes.
Good to see you have an open mind EHOOG
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby johnrogers » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:05 pm

Matbow wrote:Thinking about it, but I'm not sure - I already stare at a computer screen 9 hours a day as it is...
You know the more I think about it the more I want to get one.Heck - Im going buy one
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Nefer » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:06 pm

I think I'd be more inclined to get one if I traveled a lot. I can really see the benefit of having one to read on a beach somewhere, as I always carry my books with me! But, when all is said and done, I will still enjoy heading into Chapters, paging through a book and paying for it :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:53 pm

Nefer wrote:I think I'd be more inclined to get one if I traveled a lot. I can really see the benefit of having one to read on a beach somewhere, as I always carry my books with me! But, when all is said and done, I will still enjoy heading into Chapters, paging through a book and paying for it :)

Agree a trip to Chapters is a bit of fun,wish I did not have my credit card with me when I go in to that place though
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:46 am

Nefer wrote:I think I'd be more inclined to get one if I traveled a lot. I can really see the benefit of having one to read on a beach somewhere, as I always carry my books with me! But, when all is said and done, I will still enjoy heading into Chapters, paging through a book and paying for it :)

From a technical point of view, I think that the beach is probably the worst place to take your e-reader. Think of all the sand and salty air. I wonder how sturdy and prone to scratchy screens e-readers are...
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:18 pm

:lol:

You're probably right! Yet another reason to stick to books!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Re: Anyone Converted to Ebook Yet ? Done More Research

Postby Matbow » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:08 pm

After just coming back from vacation (where I lugged around 8 books in my carry-on) I'm thinking more and more about getting one of these, especially as I'm moving apartments soon and will now have a short subway commute...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Re: Anyone Converted to Ebook Yet ? Done More Research

Postby johnrogers » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:31 pm

Matbow wrote:After just coming back from vacation (where I lugged around 8 books in my carry-on) I'm thinking more and more about getting one of these, especially as I'm moving apartments soon and will now have a short subway commute...
My wife Kelly gave me a Kindle 3G - Wi Fi for my birthday - Well Matbow I have not seen it since.She loves the thing and is reading the Rage on it.My wife is a huge book reader - I am afraid to say I may never get my hands on the darn thing again - It is awesome Matbow - If you decide to purchase the latest generation Kindle - spend the extra 60 bucks and get the leather case with the built in light as well - The 3G cost $189.00 the case $59.00 - received it at my house about 10 days after eorder online - My friend Mary prefers the Kindle over the IPAD for reading - major glare on the IPAD - the Kindle is a dedicated reader and reading outdoors is fab - Kindle is not backlit but very clear eyepopping text from there screen technology - Help My Wife Stole My Birthday Present
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Rivaan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:28 pm

Matbow wrote:Thinking about it, but I'm not sure - I already stare at a computer screen 9 hours a day as it is...

If this is still a concern of yours, most e-book readers use e-ink screens that, as John said, aren't backlit and don't cause eye-strain at all. You could read them for hours and for your eyes, it would strain as much as reading an actual book would (which is not very much, if at all ;)). Then of course, there's the fact that you can read it in plain sunlight without it bouncing back at you.

I have seriously been eying the Kindle 3 with free 3G and Wifi, lately. The fact that Amazon has over 4000 classic books on their site for free is also a very compelling argument to get one. I'm just waiting to save a bit more money before I make the plunge.
The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom, and the unknown.
Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To bow before the one
is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the unknown, but never to the unknowable.
The man who bows in that final direction is either a saint or a fool. I have no use for either.
- Yama, Lord of Light
Rivaan

Re: Anyone Converted to Ebook Yet ? I Am Reading from Ebook

Postby chookie » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:54 pm

How many of Wilbur Smith,s books can you read on a Ebook.
chookie

Currently Reading: In between books.

Re: Anyone Converted to Ebook Yet ? I Am Reading from Ebook

Postby johnrogers » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:53 pm

chookie wrote:How many of Wilbur Smith,s books can you read on a Ebook.

Everyone he ever published - The unit is capable of storing about 3500 seperate and individual books - Interesting yesterday I downloaded Stieg Larsons novel The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest,what was so nice about that is I had just completed The Girl Who Played With Fire and I really wanted to read the last in the series - The download took less than 30 seconds - Chookie the best thing is go to Amazon.com and read up on the latest edition of there Kindle and as well search out Wilbur Smith novels - The Ebook is not a total repacement to paperback but it comes in handy once in a while
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Re: Anyone Converted to Ebook Yet ? It Is Audio Capable

Postby Nefer » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:29 pm

I saw a guy on the plane the other day with the kobo. Went into Chapters when I got back and I think I've decided to get it :) I'll probably wait for x-mas time, might be able to score some deals with the holiday season.

[b14]
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Re: Anyone Converted to Ebook Yet ? It Is Audio Capable

Postby johnrogers » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:00 pm

Nefer wrote:I saw a guy on the plane the other day with the kobo. Went into Chapters when I got back and I think I've decided to get it :) I'll probably wait for x-mas time, might be able to score some deals with the holiday season.

[b14]

I will tell you for sure I am 100% more than satisfied with Kindle 3G Wi Fi latest generation.I will also tell you a I am fussy gadget guy and know my stuff.Research Kindle thru Amazon and remember Amazon is a power equal to Microsoft.I am sure both units are equal so hence I have no opinion of Kobo.Quick story here appreciate what I have to say - Finished reading on paperback The Girl Who Played With Fire,Best darn book I ever read I ate the front cover.Did not have in my posession The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest.picked up the Kindle turned it on and downloaded Hornets Nest in 30 seconds,I have about 100 pages left to read but I am savouring them one by one.I bet your getting pretty excited about getting your PAWS on one OH MY GOD NEFER THEY ARE THE SO COOL
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Next

Return to General Discussion Forum