Ever Start A Book and Could Not Finish It

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Ever Start A Book and Could Not Finish It

Postby johnrogers » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:01 pm

Not my style but I have hit the wall.This is of no disregard to the author it is the genre that I can not handle.It is the Outlander series written by Diana Gabaldon.I have read the Outlander,and right now I am 3/4 way thru Dragonfly In Amber - my wife has read the whole series and I believe they are her favourite books of all times.Romance,romance,romance,love the storyline but every chapter always ends up with the main characters making out and I mean almost every chapter.Not used to this in anyway but I just can not handle another romance scene with Jamie and Clare.I know how many people love this series and by no means am I putting down there beloved author,but I would rather be in the Highlands seeing Jamie fighting for Broch Tuarach and Clare discovering diomonds at the druid site. - Guess I am just not in to romance novels
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Re: Ever Start A Book and Could Not Finish It

Postby Nefer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:12 am

Yes I have - it's rare though. Can't recall the authors, but they're supposed best sellers. Oh no, wait, I remember the book - The Thornbirds. I watched it on tv, thought my god this is awful, the book has to be better.

Oh no. No no. Book was worse!

As for the romance of the Outlander books, for may fans it's the relationship between Jamie and Claire that keeps the story going. I love reading about their life, and how they get through the tough moments in the their marriage. A few times I thought they wouldn't make it. It's very compelling, and then later you get to see how they react to having kids, being grandparents, etc. The history part is fascinating too! But if you can't keep going, don't. Try the Iggulden books and then maybe go back.

I always find I need a break after reading WS before I go onto another author, to avoid unfair comparisons :lol:
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby E-Hoog » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:29 am

Nefer wrote:I always find I need a break after reading WS before I go onto another author, to avoid unfair comparisons :lol:

I always read a Terry Pratchett or something like that after a WS. No comparison possible :wink:
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:59 am

Nefer wrote:Yes I have - it's rare though. Can't recall the authors, but they're supposed best sellers. Oh no, wait, I remember the book - The Thornbirds. I watched it on tv, thought my god this is awful, the book has to be better.

Oh no. No no. Book was worse!

As for the romance of the Outlander books, for may fans it's the relationship between Jamie and Claire that keeps the story going. I love reading about their life, and how they get through the tough moments in the their marriage. A few times I thought they wouldn't make it. It's very compelling, and then later you get to see how they react to having kids, being grandparents, etc. The history part is fascinating too! But if you can't keep going, don't. Try the Iggulden books and then maybe go back.

I always find I need a break after reading WS before I go onto another author, to avoid unfair comparisons :lol:
I almost feel guilty about not finishing and perhaps I will try again,there is a story there that truly interests me for sure.After I wrote post yesterday I went back to it to try again,,to my avail the story got really good again but quickly converted to another romantic encounter.As well I took some breaks reading Wilbur Smith with different genres in between - I am begining Igguldens Emperor series as of now..In the future will pick up and give the Outlander series another go
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby johnrogers » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:01 pm

E-Hoog wrote:
Nefer wrote:I always find I need a break after reading WS before I go onto another author, to avoid unfair comparisons :lol:

I always read a Terry Pratchett or something like that after a WS. No comparison possible :wink:
I read a lot of inbetweeners during my reign of terror on Wilbur Smiths books as well
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby annagram » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:38 pm

johnrogers wrote:Not my style but I have hit the wall.This is of no disregard to the author it is the genre that I can not handle.It is the Outlander series written by Diana Gabaldon.I have read the Outlander,and right now I am 3/4 way thru Dragonfly In Amber - my wife has read the whole series and I believe they are her favourite books of all times.Romance,romance,romance,love the storyline but every chapter always ends up with the main characters making out and I mean almost every chapter.Not used to this in anyway but I just can not handle another romance scene with Jamie and Clare.I know how many people love this series and by no means am I putting down there beloved author,but I would rather be in the Highlands seeing Jamie fighting for Broch Tuarach and Clare discovering diomonds at the druid site. - Guess I am just not in to romance novels

I didn't like her books either and could never work up any interest in them. Actually I do like some romance novels so that is not the reason.
annagram

Currently Reading: The winner by David baldacci

Postby johnrogers » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:21 pm

annagram wrote:
johnrogers wrote:Not my style but I have hit the wall.This is of no disregard to the author it is the genre that I can not handle.It is the Outlander series written by Diana Gabaldon.I have read the Outlander,and right now I am 3/4 way thru Dragonfly In Amber - my wife has read the whole series and I believe they are her favourite books of all times.Romance,romance,romance,love the storyline but every chapter always ends up with the main characters making out and I mean almost every chapter.Not used to this in anyway but I just can not handle another romance scene with Jamie and Clare.I know how many people love this series and by no means am I putting down there beloved author,but I would rather be in the Highlands seeing Jamie fighting for Broch Tuarach and Clare discovering diomonds at the druid site. - Guess I am just not in to romance novels

I didn't like her books either and could never work up any interest in them. Actually I do like some romance novels so that is not the reason.

My wife loved these books she ranted and raved for days on end :lol: Nefer is a big fan as well - for myself it was just way to over the top in the romance department ( Claire was a little sweet on Jamie )
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby annagram » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:55 am

I have a friend who loves these books and I tried to read them for her sake.
annagram

Currently Reading: The winner by David baldacci

Postby johnrogers » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:14 pm

annagram wrote:I have a friend who loves these books and I tried to read them for her sake.

Annagram there are millions of fans worldwide whom swear the Outlander series is the best book series in the history of mankind and I know my wife is one of them.Nefer brought up an extremely valid point regarding the over the top romantic side of the series that is the part I did not enjoy,but as Nefer pointed out a lot of people really like and love that quality and genre of book - I can handle a little of a romantic overtone in a story but not at the end of every chapter that is written in the book.It just comes down to what your personal preferences are.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Return to General Discussion Forum