Stephen King

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Stephen King

Postby Penitent » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:59 pm

If there is a love/hate author out there SK is the man. More than 40 books most of which have been made into TV serials and movies. Almost everybody has read at least one. Let us know which books you love or hate…

I loved:
It
The Stand
Misery (loved the movie too, Kathy Bates had Oscar written all over her and James Caan has never been better)
The Shawshank Redemption (and yes, the movie was even better!)
The Shining ( I confess I read it after watching the movie… Hereeee’s Johnny!!)

I hated:
Tommyckockers (some sort of ancient alien invasion plot that wasted several hours of my life)
Bag Of Bones (couldn’t finish it, I don’t even remember what it was about)
The girl who loved Tom Gordon (thank God it only took a couple of hours to read)
Needful Things (the devil comes to town and makes all your whishes come true… blah, blah, blah…)
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby delby » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:17 pm

Ive read most of Stevies books and i hear what you sayabout love hate .
Shawshank was amazing did you read Apt pupil in the same book.

I think the reason he is so good(when he is) is because he doesnt shy away from anything no matter how gross or disturbing. The death of The toddler gabe in pet semetary is a truly horrifying piece of narrative and affects me greatly having a young child myself but it is so skillfully written i dont shy away from it .

my faves are

cujo
firestarter
misery
it
christine
and different seasons( four in one)
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby delby » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:20 pm

P.S. forgot to mention the dark half a truly monumental piece and Thinner written under the pseudonym Richard Bachman
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Re: Stephen King

Postby Ballantyne » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:42 pm

I own and have read a bunch of SK's books and loved them. I should read more, but I'm always too busy reading something else. lol
"She gabbled meaningless replies to her father's questions and tried to lead him towards the door, but it was like trying to divert a bull elephant from his set purpose. Inexorably, Sean bore down upon the discarded knickers and the canvas where Mark cowered.

At his next step, the silk wrapped itself around the toe of his boot. The material was so filmy and light that he did not notice it, and he limped on happily, one foot draped in an exotic piece of feminine underwear, while the two young people watched in abject terror the knickers' slow circuit of the room."
Ballantyne

Currently Reading: The Leopard Hunts In Darkness

Re: Stephen King

Postby johnrogers » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:43 pm

Under The Dome - Must admit it has been a lot of years since I have read a Stephen King novel.I have read quite a few I guess but a long time ago.My son bought me a copy of UNDER THE DOME as a christmas present - book is 1000 pages long and you almost need a crane to hold it in your hands ( wish it was a download on my kindle ) I picked up the book a few days ago and I am half way through it on page 500 - can not put the book down it is really really good.I have forgotten how good King is as a writer and a storyteller.This book has an aura about it such as the Stand which was a great book.Well this one is an equal.Think I will get caught up on a few Stephen King novels I have bypassed this yea

[b14] Stephen King - Under the Dome - read it - darn good book \:D/
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Return to Other Authors