Converted to E-Book - I Love Reading From My Kindle

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Re: Anyone Converted to Ebook Yet ? I Have For Sure

Postby Nefer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:27 pm

Thought I'd update you on my ereader search - I'm probably getting the Sony ereader, just waiting to see if xmas sales drop the prices a bit!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:42 am

Hi Nefer have not heard from you for a while,very nice to hear from you.Nefer before you make the plunge please please consider the Kindle E book 3G/wi fi.I can personally recommend this product to you as I have had mine for a few months and have gotten used to it.I have watched several gadjet review shows on television discussing which E reader is the way to go and the final conclusion they pick is the Kindle.The other thing you must consider is the battery life,when useing the Kindle as long as you have the wifi/3g turned off and not running 24/7 the battery life is like unbelieveable,somewhere close to 30 days.The other thing is Amazon and there free 3G whispernet download time,Nefer it is unreal you chose a book and the whole thing is downloaded in a second flat.Once you learn how to surf kindle ebooks on amazon site,you will find 100s of free or almost free book offerings as well.The other thing is the majority of ebooks from amazon are voice enabled in other words the majority of the books you download are now audio books if you care to use this feature - Look Nefer not truing to confuse you and I have no basis to put down the sony or the kobe because I have not used - Let me know what you decide when you do - THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE WITH MY KINDLE IS MY WIFE WONT PUT IT DOWN - SHE LOVES THE THING NEFER
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby Matbow » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:56 pm

Nefer wrote:Thought I'd update you on my ereader search - I'm probably getting the Sony ereader, just waiting to see if xmas sales drop the prices a bit!

What's the Sony's advantage over the Kindle?
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Re: Converted to Ebook Yet - Let Me Know When You Do & Which One

Postby Nefer » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:02 pm

Well, you're not tied to one bookstore in particular with the Sony, and related to that, the Kindle doesn't allow you to borrow from the library.

Although to be honest, the library doesn't have the greatest selection of books! I'm not sure if the Kindle allows you to get the free books from places like Project Guttenberg - they have thousands of free classics that I'd love to have for super boring days :)

ETA: This link from the Canadian chapters website that compares the ebooks.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:48 pm

Hi Nefer I checked out your amazon ca link and looked over the comparison of the different ebooks that are available.I am sure that when it comes right down to it thay each have there own advantages and disadvantages over one another.Nefer by the way I do not download my ebooks from amazon canada i dowload from amazon usa because amazon ca does not have ebooks only the USA site does.One thing you should do is spend an hour just fooling around on amazon.com in there ebook section that will allow you you to see what is free and public domain and what bargains there are for 99cents and 2.99 inexpensive and such.As well if you do invest in a kindle please spend the extra $50.00 which gives you free 3G it is worth it that unit kindle WI FI /3G is $189.00 rather than $139.00 as well you will want a case of some kind to protect your investment - OK NEFER LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU MAKE YOUR PURCHASE -
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Nefer » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:13 pm

johnrogers wrote:Hi Nefer I checked out your amazon ca link

Actually it's a link from Chapters, which sells the kobo here :)

johnrogers wrote:I do not download my ebooks from amazon canada i dowload from amazon usa because amazon ca does not have ebooks only the USA site does.

And see, I'm not too thrilled about that! Why isn't there a mirror site with Cdn prices? Not that I should be too upset, as we're close to par these days anyway! Have you had any problems buying books from the amazon store?

What would be ideal for me is the freedom to buy an ebook from any online shop I choose. I'd like the ability to shop around, just as I do when I buy anything else. That's the main reason I'm getting a Sony reader - hopefully amazon will wake up to the idea that the other ereader makers have already realised. So right now, I have the choice of 2 ebookshops plus the option of getting a book from the library. With amazon, I have no choices.
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:15 pm

Hi Nefer great to hear from you and yes it is true kindle ebooks are not available thru the canadian website amazon ca.And I hear you loud and clear about amazon com they are way to big for there britches as a matter of fact amazon is to the internet as apple is to computers.And I will agree with you as such each ebook that exsists has pros and cons advantages and disadvantages for sure.When push comes to shove the whole event comes down to this you are just reading a book and that is the important thing.Ink is ink weather it is electronic or paper.Regardless when you do purchase and use for awhile please let me know how much you like it once you get used to it you will be very pleased and happy. All my best and Merry Christmas to you Nefer I hope Santa Claus makes all your wishes come true - john rogers on beautiful Vancouver Island :shock: :lol:
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Matbow » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:31 pm

Nefer wrote:What would be ideal for me is the freedom to buy an ebook from any online shop I choose. I'd like the ability to shop around, just as I do when I buy anything else. That's the main reason I'm getting a Sony reader - hopefully amazon will wake up to the idea that the other ereader makers have already realised. So right now, I have the choice of 2 ebookshops plus the option of getting a book from the library. With amazon, I have no choices.

The kindle supports the .mobi ebook format in addition to their own azw files... Do any of the ebook stores support that?

Obviously I'm not condoning this, but there are huge libraries of MOBI ebooks available in the less reputable areas of the internet. I was actually reading a news article that was saying the books and movies are the new top things being pirated.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby johnrogers » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:52 am

Formats that kindle supports - Kindle (azw) , TXT , PDF , Audible ( Audible enhanced ( AA AAX ) , MP3 , unprotected MOBi , PRC natively , HTML , Doc , JPEG , GIF , PNG , BMP thru conversion
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Re: Converted to Ebook Yet - Share Your Opinion - Which Is Best

Postby johnrogers » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:43 pm

You know I am truly loving this ebook reader.I am sitting in front of my laptop checking out my emails and I have my Kindle ereader proped up on my keyboard tray reading a new Lee Child novel.The contrast is just so good and the eink looks like paper.I have the font adjusted so my liking and it is just so damn nice.The best thing about it is the contrast of letters on the eink paper it is beautiful and superior to reading a paperback,sharp and clear.A thing of beauty for sure - damn love this thing :D

Buy One You Guys Are Missing Out Bigtime [b14]
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Re: Anyone Converted to E-Book - NEFER you buy one yet ?

Postby johnrogers » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:11 pm

Nefer did you get your ebook yet ?
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Re: Anyone Converted to E-Book - NEFER you buy one yet ?

Postby Nefer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Got it, love it!

I got the PRS650 from Sony, which is the Touch Edition, no wifi. I bloody love this thing, I was always a bookworm but now it's gotten to the point where I'm reading more than I did before! Brilliant product, I never thought I'd ever buy an e-book reader, but there you go - never say never :)

I'm glad the battery just died (after about 2 weeks!) I really need to prep for work tomorrow!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Re: Anyone Converted to E-Book - NEFER LOVES HER NEW EBOOK

Postby johnrogers » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Yeah NEFER what a go finally you made the plunge :lol:

Fantastic device and what a treat to read from right now I am reading a Stephen King novel called Under The Dome on paperback it is a present my son gave me for Christmas.The book is huge very heavy and is over a 1000 pages long I love the book but it is so heavy and cumbersome wish I was reading the book from my ebook instead

Anyway I am happy for you and now you can see and appreciate what an ebook is all about - Hip Hip Horray for you Nefer pass the word to Matbow and Ehoog for me =D> [b14]
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Re: Anyone Converted to E-Book - NEFER LOVES HER NEW EBOOK

Postby Matbow » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:26 pm

johnrogers wrote:Anyway I am happy for you and now you can see and appreciate what an ebook is all about - Hip Hip Horray for you Nefer pass the word to Matbow and Ehoog for me =D> [b14]

I've had a Kindle for quite a while now; thought I mentioned that somewhere, but maybe not!

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Converted to E-Book - NEFER & MATBOW LOVES THERE NEW EBOOK

Postby johnrogers » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:47 pm

Hi Matbow nice to hear from you - No I was not aware that you had made purchase but ain't they grande.I am really enjoying mine 50/50 ebook and paperback.Made mention of a 1000 page book I am reading at the moment on paperback wish I was reading it on an ebook only because the book is so large heavy andcumbersome.Well anyway hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Next time you see EHoog online see if you can convert him - he is a stubborn dutchman =D> [b11]
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby tedd » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:40 pm

TRAITORS TRAITORS TRAITORS!!! traitors to the book, traitors to the printed word! - Caxton will turn in his grave. Just think what it will be like to never hold a book in your hands again, never appreciate a good binding, or the quality of good paper. You can never become collectors - just merely readers!! HEATHENS!!
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:06 pm

Hi Tedd really its not that bad its not like Nefer and Matbow have sold there souls to an Al Qaeda terrorist organization :lol: All kidding aside Tedd you should do your own investigation in to owning an ereader or ebook.I ( john rogers ) own a kindle nefer has a sony and matbow has a kindle as well.The only difference is one is reading eink off of an electronic device rather than printed ink on real paper.I still read paperbacks more than ebook but i use the ebook when it is conveniant.Tedd they are fantastic and since you are a huge reader suach as myself you owe it to yourself to own one of these little beautys ( ebook ) If you owned one and read a few books off of one you would be humming a different tune - you would love he damn thing tedd you really would.Give it a chance but I give you my word you ar 8) missing out on a great thing -

Tedd \:D/ Get yourself an ebook [b13] your pal john rogers
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Re: Converted to E-Book - They Are Worth It - Very Nice To Have

Postby Nefer » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:48 pm

Lol Ted!

I do feel a bit of a traitor - the main reason for me getting the ereader is space. I have two full bookshelves and no space to install more. I keep buying books and have no where to display them, there's a stack next to my bed. When I can afford it, I'll have a place with a room dedicated to being a library, and I'll be back to being a collector by then :)

I'm glad you got us talking about ereaders John - you've got Matt & myself as converts, and I'm trying to convince my best friend to get one as well. She reads more than I do, so it's time for her to jump on the bandwagon!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby E-Hoog » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:48 am

johnrogers wrote:...

Next time you see EHoog online see if you can convert him - he is a stubborn dutchman =D> [b11]

Haha, not going to happen any time soon. In fact, one of my projects for somewhere in the next half year is to build four bookcases. That is not to say that I don't see the merit of an ebook as a travel tool. I just returned from a trip to Texas. Naturally I came back with 6 more books than I brought, which can be quite an impact on your carry-on :wink:
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:42 pm

E-Hoog wrote:
johnrogers wrote:...

Haha, not going to happen any time soon. In fact, one of my projects for somewhere in the next half year is to build four bookcases. That is not to say that I don't see the merit of an ebook as a travel tool. I just returned from a trip to Texas. Naturally I came back with 6 more books than I brought, which can be quite an impact on your carry-on :wink:

E-Hoog I am on a mission to convert you :lol: You have no idea on what your missing out on and you can still build your bookshelves :eek: Get one E-Hoog you will kiss the earth you walk on for owning one and if you get one I won't call you stubborn anymore :lol: JOHN ROGERS ON A LIFELONG MISSION TO CONVINCE E-HOOG TO BUY AN EREADER
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion Forum