Artic Monkeys

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Artic Monkeys

Postby John R » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:07 am

There's a lot of talk about this band. Apparently their the biggest thing since Oasis. I've heard the singles and the sound quite impressive. Not sure whether to buy the album though. Anyone got any advice on these guys?
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Nefer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:13 am

I gave them a listen on the advice of Matt, and I kinda really like them!

The music is very retro, but groovey in a nice way :)

Give them a shot - I should say though, I got my copy off the net, IF you know what I mean!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby John R » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:37 pm

Indeed I do. Think I shall do the same! Thanks for sharing your view. Time to see what all the fuss is about 8) :wink:
John R
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:07 pm

I've only heard two tracks (the last two singles) and they're OK. I've yet to sit down and actually listen to the album but I have a feeling that if I did then I wouldn't be that impressed, but I could be completely wrong.

I much prefer "Hard-Fi" and "Razorlight" at the moment:)

As for the downloading business, are you guys not worried about getting caught? I've heard of quite a few law suits being filed against file sharers in the last year.
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby John R » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:31 pm

How big is the risk? I've not done it often, only from time to time but I thought it was legal on the program that I use. It's called Limewire. It's legal on that I think....(not 100% sure though!) Will have to check it out.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:11 pm

That's why I love love love Canada, hehe! Downloading was made legal here a while back.

Well, to be clear, it's legal to share files, but not legal to up-load copy-righted music.... COME ON! If you do one you do the other!! Love this country :mrgreen: I use Limewire as well, have not had a nasty experience with them yet ie I haven't dl'ed a virus by mistake.

And JR, the ony way to dl music legally is to pay for it, get off the band's website (eg @ http://www.steadmanband.com you can get all their music for free! with their blessing!) - and you can also get music from archive.org, where they store live recorded music.

My fav tracks re: Monkeys are the ones I've dl'ed, but so far the best one is A Certain Romance.

ETA: And ohmigosh, speaking of the Devils! I'm doing my h-work & listening to the local rock radio here, & out of the blue, the DJ uses a music bed from the A. Monkeys! I think it's from Fake Tales of San Francisco. In any case I emailed him & told him to get them on the air here - which he is currently trying to do! Looks like they're making waves as we speak, better jump on the bandwagon soon, boys!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby John R » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:29 am

I think Limewire is legal, so i'm not too worried.

My fave A.Monkey's song at this early stage is probably the latest single 'When The Sun Goes Down' but there are others I also like such as Dancing Shoes, Bigger Boys & Stolen Sweethearts, and Fake Tales OF San Fransico/
John R
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:21 am

Any filesharing programme is legal, but the uploading and downloading of any copywrited media/material using such a programme is not.

After the recent court cases where Limewire users were sued, I'm not going to take the risk.

This BBC article provides a pretty good explanation:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 720351.stm
Last edited by Matbow on Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:26 am

That sucks for you guys...

But better to be safe and not have scarry Metalica people wanting your two bucks...

Like I said though, there are sites and some artists who don't care about file-sharing and as a result, it's easy to get a hold of their music through archive.org, which is totally safe as it's a live music (and other media) storage site.

_____

Back on topic! (I should know better than to go off-topic!)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Arctic Monkeys make chart history

Postby Matbow » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:38 pm

From the BBC:

The first album from indie band Arctic Monkeys has become the fastest-selling debut album in UK chart history...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4660394.stm

...and it appears that they're from Sheffield, so they must be good!
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Return to General Discussion Forum