Nefer - Matbow Time To Update and Tell Us What Your Reading

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Nefer - Matbow Time To Update and Tell Us What Your Reading

Postby johnrogers » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:01 pm

Nefer Sword in the Stone has been on your bio forever and Matbow nothing has been on yours for weeks.So tell us what books are you reading right now ? :?:

[b7] All those birthday greetings on a daily basis must be a lot of spammer names in there :-k
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Re: Nefer - Matbow Time To Update and Tell Us What Your Reading

Postby Nefer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:53 pm

I'm re-reading the Earth's Children series in anticaption of the new book out in March. Currently I'm on "The Mammoth Hunters".

Next on the list is Jilly Cooper's "Jump!" which will be a nice palate cleanser before I ger stuck into "The Land of the Painted Caves".

I also want to read Follet's work, my friend has "World without end" and she enjoyed it :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:15 pm

[b7] - Nefer I noticed on your bio - location Vancouver - previous North Hollywood USA - so are you in Vancouver BC Canada and living there rather than USA - just curious by nature - JohnRogers
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Nefer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:50 pm

Oh... North Hollywood is what some people call Vancouver BC because of the movie and tv industry we have here.

Well I'm glad you now know the correct location! :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:35 pm

johnrogers wrote:Nefer Sword in the Stone has been on your bio forever and Matbow nothing has been on yours for weeks.So tell us what books are you reading right now ? :?:

I've actually read quite a lot recently - since mid December I've read:

Ken Follett's latest; Fall of Giants (6.5/10)
Pacific Vortex! by Clive Cussler (5/10)
Die Trying (7/10) and Killing floor (6/10) by Lee Child (which I read because of your thread and Tedd's recommendation)

At the moment, I'm on book 3 of the George R.R Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series; a series which I find equally frustrating and brilliant (and I'm also reading because of a recommendation from this forum).
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby johnrogers » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:39 am

Nefer wrote:Oh... North Hollywood is what some people call Vancouver BC because of the movie and tv industry we have here.

Well I'm glad you now know the correct location! :)

Well holy mackeral your a fellow Canuck and were almost next door neighbours as you know I live in Comox on Vancoucer Island ( which I refer to as Jamaica North ) not meaning the pot connection at all.Nefer Ill be darned first I find out your a girl then I find out your a BC girl. Duh poor me ](*,) :eek: :?
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby johnrogers » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:48 am

Hi Matbow hope things are going well in Matbows world sounds like you have been reading a lot and I notice you arent giving any of them a ten.Yes Tedd put me on to Lee Child and I read his first two they are pretty good and I will over a period of time read the rest of them but can only give thm a 7 out of a ten,Just finished a Steven King novel Under The Dome good book and will give it an 8.5 out of a ten - Interesting point in the novel Stephen King gave mention of Jack Reacher Lee Childs main character in his novels you just read

Got lucky my wife Kelly found me a James Rollins novel called The Oracle that I am reading right now.Would be reading my kindle but Kelly stole it from me again and I won,t be able to get my hands on it til she is finished her book

[b14] =D> Thanks for the update Matbow
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:53 am

Matbow wrote:...
Pacific Vortex! by Clive Cussler (5/10)

Is this the first Cussler novel you've read? If so, don't be put off by this novel; it was his first. And it was only at the insistence of friends that he reluctantly had it published. The rest of his Dirk Pitt work is actually quite nice. Shallow, but highly entertaining.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby Nefer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:33 pm

johnrogers wrote: Comox on Vancoucer Island ( which I refer to as Jamaica North ) not meaning the pot connection at all.Nefer Ill be darned first I find out your a girl then I find out your a BC girl.

Haha, I should visit sometime! Never heard of Jamaica North! :lol: I've been to Victoria a few times and Bamfield as well. The Island is really lovely :)

And now back on topic, what rating do you give the Fire & Ice series so far? HBO has delayed the show till April so more time for me to re-read the series before then :)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:06 pm

E-Hoog wrote:Is this the first Cussler novel you've read? If so, don't be put off by this novel; it was his first. And it was only at the insistence of friends that he reluctantly had it published. The rest of his Dirk Pitt work is actually quite nice. Shallow, but highly entertaining.

Yes, and it would have been my last if you had not posted that. I'll try the next one in the series...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Matbow » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:10 pm

Nefer wrote:And now back on topic, what rating do you give the Fire & Ice series so far? HBO has delayed the show till April so more time for me to re-read the series before then :)

7 so far. I find the plot itself fascinating, but the narrative 'style', with each chapter being from a different persons point of view, is very frustrating, irritating and restrictive. For example, I really don't care what dress Sansa/Cersei/Dany is wearing - I would just prefer a standard narrative to progress the book!

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby E-Hoog » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:19 am

Matbow wrote:
E-Hoog wrote:Is this the first Cussler novel you've read? If so, don't be put off by this novel; it was his first. And it was only at the insistence of friends that he reluctantly had it published. The rest of his Dirk Pitt work is actually quite nice. Shallow, but highly entertaining.

Yes, and it would have been my last if you had not posted that. I'll try the next one in the series...

Try Inca Gold or Shockwave. If you like those then I can help you pick out some others. If you don't like these then you won't like any of them :). Whatever you do, don't read one of his novels where it says in very small letters "with (another author)". Some of the ghost written novels are good, but most are not.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby annagram » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:32 pm

I just finished reading "American Assassin" by Vince Flynn.
annagram

Currently Reading: The winner by David baldacci

Postby annagram » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:35 pm

[quote="Nefer"]I'm re-reading the Earth's Children series in anticaption of the new book out in March. Currently I'm on "The Mammoth Hunters".

I am looking forward to the new book and hoping that it is better than the previous one. I was so disappointed in "Shelters of Stone". I have preordered the new one on amazon. I buy them for my daughter in law as she also enjoys these books. I read them first, then give them to her with the option of borrowing them back to reread. :D
annagram

Postby Nefer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:30 pm

You know, I'm re-reading Shelters now - and the 3rd time around, I'm not hating it as much! Let's hope LoPC doesn't generate as much hate as Shelters did!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby annagram » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:40 pm

I am keeping my fingers crossed! I reread Shelters a few months ago and found, like you, that I didn't dislike it as much as I did the first time. I had been hoping that Jean Auel would have Ayla's child grown and walking in her mother's footsteps. I am still hoping. I just hope that Ayla doesn't end up leaving Jondular behind and becoming the religious leader. Am having a senior moment here and can't recall the title or the name of Jondular's first love.
annagram

Postby Nefer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:28 pm

There are spoilers up - the first 3 chapters have been released on line, but I want to wait till I get to chapters and swoop the book into my eagerly awaiting arms!

Zolena was Jondalar's first love - the current Zelandoni. I'm excited for the possibilities!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby annagram » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Ah yes, Zolena. And she had obligingly put on considerable weight in Jondular's absence :D
annagram

Return to General Discussion Forum