E-BOOK VS PAPER BOOK?

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

E-BOOK VS PAPER BOOK?

Postby bayside » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:18 pm

I just read in the business news AMAZON announced they sold more e-books than regular books for the month of June. Are traditional books going the way of vinyl records, radios, black and white tv's, land-line phones, etc.? I look at the beauty of my bookcase and let my eyes roam over the titles I've already read and enjoyed -- and visualize reading them again in a few more years. I hear that on some of the e-book reading devices a person can store up to 3500 volumes. That's incredible, as well as scary. Can a person find the same emotion as he electronically turns the last page of a novel as he does when he closes the cover of a book he has just finished?
When a person gets into his final years, as I am, changes like all these become harder and harder to accept. I'm in the process of dealing with a POD publisher to get into print a historical novel I've worked on for the past 20 years and wonder if I should pay the extra hundred dollars to have it available in e-book format.

What are your thoughts about the future of the printed word?
bayside

Currently Reading: Selects works of Graham Greene

Re: E-BOOK VS PAPER BOOK?

Postby johnrogers » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:22 pm

Hi Bayside

I am a huge fan of reading from an e-book.I own a kindle ereader which was given to me as a birthday present from my wife - yes it is true in fact I can store 3500 books on it.I well understand what you mean when you say as you get older it get's harder to accept change and to change with the times.Since I have owned my kindle I have actually purchased another unit for my wife she is a huge reader and in fact I just ordered another kindle for my daughter which I will give to her as a birthday present in August.

I hear you loud and clear about the love of books sitting on a shelf in your home and I realize especially in this forum there are a lot of readers who are purists and collecters of first editions and signed copies - I can see that as a passion in life for many and I appreciate there love of there collections.

The statistics you post about Amazon book sales are a fact and I would recommend that if you publish I would spend the extra $$$$ and make your publication available in electronic format.I purchase most of my books now via download from Amazon - you must realize and understand the convenience of downloading Shogun or Tai-Pan and having it in a matter of seconds - Of course I love roaming the isles in bookstores but since owning an ebook the majority of my purchases are electronic and not paperback.

[b7] - I did receive your email and I did send a reply - did you receive it ?
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby tedd » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:17 am

I cannot imagine a world without books but I can see where it's going - if you just read books and discard them then the ebook is for you.
Our member jeffw publishes his own books and much as I would love to read them I am not at this stage of my life intending to purchase the required equipment. When I buy a book it is with the intention of also collecting it so I only get hardbacks. I do read plenty of other non-collectable novels etc but borrow them from libraries so am not overburdened
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby E-Hoog » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:06 am

I love real books. Nothing like it. I agree with you bayside.

But,

I recently saw a kindle and have to admit it looked very nice. When I go camping I always pack a lot of books. No problem if you go by car, but when you go on vacation by means of air travel I can definitely see the merits of the kindle. In fact, when I go to the USA next year for a one month trip I don't plan on lugging around my books. I will buy a kindle for that. Yes John, I said it :wink:

But,

Overall, real books still rule :)

And by the way, I would also like to read Jeff's books, so when I own a kindle, I can :-)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:30 pm

I love books to and I agree with bayside,tedd,and yourself in any way with respect to holding a book in your hand or viewing your beautiful book collection in your home.But nothing changes there you can still have your cake and eat it to.Baysides quote was "are traditional books going the way of vinyl records" - my answer is yes probally they will - there is nothing that remains constant evrything is subject to change - I find it difficult as well to accept change as bayside mentioned in his post - but the truth is you have to survive with the changing times - there are many benefits to owning an ebook - convenience when you want a book "now" you snap your finger and the book is in your hand instantly - but the primary #1 best thing about having an electronic book is the visual of the pages clear precise sharp with perfect contrast in any light condition - easy on the eyes and the screen looks like paper only way better.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Nefer » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:06 pm

I'm in the same place - where I miss the feel of the book and the emotions that come when you complete a brilliant work. I really want to get the new George Martin book as an ebook which will be $20 cheaper than the hardcover. BUT I want the feel of the real book in my hands as well, as well as the satisfaction of stocking my already full bookshelves.

Still haven't decided what I'll do yet... I;ll probably make my decision by this weekend (don't want to buy it till I watch HP7-II tomorrow!)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:59 pm

Nefer wrote:I'm in the same place - where I miss the feel of the book and the emotions that come when you complete a brilliant work. I really want to get the new George Martin book as an ebook which will be $20 cheaper than the hardcover. BUT I want the feel of the real book in my hands as well, as well as the satisfaction of stocking my already full bookshelves.

Still haven't decided what I'll do yet... I;ll probably make my decision by this weekend (don't want to buy it till I watch HP7-II tomorrow!)

What is HP7 -II ? :lol: ( is it to do with Harry Potter )
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby bayside » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:53 am

My sincere thanks to John Rogers, Tedd, E-Hogg, and Nefer for your replies and Ideas. I discussed this matter with our local, small-town librarian yesterday and she felt it will take about two more generations before the printed word in book form will almost cease to exist. So, I will spend the extra money and have my book also in e-form. I am a stubborn old f... when it comes to accepting changes. My grown daughters and grandchildren finally convinced me I should own a computer about five years ago --- and my, oh my, what untold blessings it has brought into my life. I still won't own a cell phone (although my wife has one) and drive a 15 year old automobile.

The great spiritual philosopher, Emmet Fox, wrote about this and explained that is why man does not live to be 150; he becomes too vested in his personal status quo and he is not open to new ideas.
Last edited by bayside on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bayside

Postby E-Hoog » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:02 pm

I actually read a news article about a scientist in the UK who claims that the person who will live to be 150 years old is already born. Currently the oldest person became 122 years of age. He also claims that humans can live to be a 1000 years old in the near future. It sounds absurd of course, but he has some valid points.

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/category/longevity/

That being said, at the rate of current technological advancement, imagine becoming a 1000 years old. How many changes will we have to cope with... And how many stubborn old people will roam the world :-)

And bayside, I can see how owning a pc has definitely opened up your world :-)

@John:
yes, hp7-II is a harry potter thing :wink:. If someone would force me to get rid of either all my WS books or my Harry books, I would not be able to choose. I find the films complete rubbish though. Nice special effects, but that's about it.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:13 pm

E-Hoog wrote:I actually read a news article about a scientist in the UK who claims that the person who will live to be 150 years old is already born. Currently the oldest person became 122 years of age. He also claims that humans can live to be a 1000 years old in the near future. It sounds absurd of course, but he has some valid points.

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/category/longevity/

That being said, at the rate of current technological advancement, imagine becoming a 1000 years old. How many changes will we have to cope with... And how many stubborn old people will roam the world :-)

And bayside, I can see how owning a pc has definitely opened up your world :-)

@John:
yes, hp7-II is a harry potter thing :wink:. If someone would force me to get rid of either all my WS books or my Harry books, I would not be able to choose. I find the films complete rubbish though. Nice special effects, but that's about it.

E-Hoog - I am reading the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - 3 easy and fast to read books in the series - am starting the second book right at this very moment Catching Fire - I think you would enjoy them - I will start Tai - Pan very soon - but I am mentally preparing because it is a heavy duty read.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby johnrogers » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:18 pm

bayside wrote:My sincere thanks to John Roberts, Tedd, E-Hogg, and Nefer for your replies and Ideas. I discussed this matter with our local, small-town librarian yesterday and she felt it will take about two more generations before the printed word in book form will almost cease to exist. So, I will spend the extra money and have my book also in e-form. I am a stubborn olf f... when it comes to accepting changes. My grown daughters and grandchildren finally convinced me I should own a computer about five years ago --- and my, oh my, what untold blessings it has brought into my life. I still won't own a cell phone (although my wife has one) and drive a 15 year old automobile.

The great spiritual philosopher, Emmet Fox, wrote about this and explained that is why man does not live to be 150; he becomes too vested in his personal status quo he is not open to new ideas.

Hi Bayside

I know a lot of forum members are enjoying your company and input on the the forum posts - great to have you in the forum Bayside :D
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby tedd » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:21 pm

E-Hoog - I am reading the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - 3 easy and fast to read books in the series - am starting the second book right at this very moment Catching Fire - I think you would enjoy them - I will start Tai - Pan very soon - but I am mentally preparing because it is a heavy duty read.[/quote]

Hey johnrogers - If Tai-Pan is as heavy as all that I don't think I'd bother reading it. When I was studying for qualifications (many years ago) I did plenty of 'heavy' reading but I read for enjoyment now and haven't got time (I was 86 last month) to spend on reading something I wouldn't enjoy.
My hobby is book-binding and I restore old books to life by washing, cleaning, repairing, giving them new covers etc so that they have another 100 years or more useful life ahead - I wish I had!! So you can say I am a bibliomaniac, nearly all of my retirement years being involved with books in one way or another. Hence my dedication to the printed paper word rather than the electronic word.
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Tedd

I very much agree with you that reading is something you do for enjoyment and that is what I try to do - as far as reading a novel like Shogun or Tai-Pan it is for the same reason, I enjoy them but they are very large books as you know and they require some time commitment to get through many pages long and a more complex storyline to follow.I try to break my reading up for example I will read Shogun and rather than go directley to the next book in the series will read something different in between such as a Lee Child novel which in fact you actually recommend many posts ago.

Your hobby is unique and it sounds like you are a professional in the world of book restoration.What is the greatest project you have ever taken upon yourself in a book restoration and I am even more curious do people come to you worldwide to access your skill and art - have you ever done anything to restore a famous priceless book from a museum or from some reknown book collector ?
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby tedd » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:50 am

Hi again johnrogers - my later working life was in a Government Dept in an admin role and as such I did not have large amounts to spend on my Africana book collection. Thus I was not able to afford the more expensive items of early Africana in pristine condition but did manage to gather some books of great interest to me that although complete were not in very great shape - torn pages and maps, stained illustrations, shabby or missing covers etc - with the intention of one day learning to restore them. About 5 years before retirement I noticed the local Tech was running courses in bookbinding so I enrolled in evening classes. It gave me the taste, so I went on to do repair work, leather classes, paper conservation. I focussed on my own books, some of which date back to the early 1700s, and it was many years before I was game enough to tackle other people's books. I never wanted to do that anyway, but gradually got more and more involved. I had several overseas clients, one chap used to bring and send books from UK for repair and there were a couple of dedicated collectors who trusted me with valuable old items from their collections. I've reverted now to working only on my own collection as I hate the thought of any of my books being tossed into the bin by my heirs because it is just a bundle of old paper instead of a nice well-bound book.
But I'm not a professional - I'm still an amateur. In fact in the Craft Guild I joined over 25 years ago to widen my knowledge and experience, the predominant professional members referred to me as a "non-binder" because I had not gone through an apprenticeship as they had. I don't let that upset me because I have something that the majority of them do not have - I'm a collector which most of them are not and I have an empathy for the book, I understand what the true collector wants from the binder and can frequently anticipate his needs.
Enough of this frivolity and jocularity - as I am writing my memoirs much of this reminiscing will be appearing therein!!!
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:57 pm

tedd wrote:Hi again johnrogers - my later working life was in a Government Dept in an admin role and as such I did not have large amounts to spend on my Africana book collection. Thus I was not able to afford the more expensive items of early Africana in pristine condition but did manage to gather some books of great interest to me that although complete were not in very great shape - torn pages and maps, stained illustrations, shabby or missing covers etc - with the intention of one day learning to restore them. About 5 years before retirement I noticed the local Tech was running courses in bookbinding so I enrolled in evening classes. It gave me the taste, so I went on to do repair work, leather classes, paper conservation. I focussed on my own books, some of which date back to the early 1700s, and it was many years before I was game enough to tackle other people's books. I never wanted to do that anyway, but gradually got more and more involved. I had several overseas clients, one chap used to bring and send books from UK for repair and there were a couple of dedicated collectors who trusted me with valuable old items from their collections. I've reverted now to working only on my own collection as I hate the thought of any of my books being tossed into the bin by my heirs because it is just a bundle of old paper instead of a nice well-bound book.
But I'm not a professional - I'm still an amateur. In fact in the Craft Guild I joined over 25 years ago to widen my knowledge and experience, the predominant professional members referred to me as a "non-binder" because I had not gone through an apprenticeship as they had. I don't let that upset me because I have something that the majority of them do not have - I'm a collector which most of them are not and I have an empathy for the book, I understand what the true collector wants from the binder and can frequently anticipate his needs.
Enough of this frivolity and jocularity - as I am writing my memoirs much of this reminiscing will be appearing therein!!!

I would really like to read your memoirs - is there any way I can ?
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby bayside » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:46 pm

I dare to comment to John Rogers that the US soccer fans behaved quite well with their team's loss to Japan. In fact, and unlike the rudeness that seems to be permeating our country today, there was an editorial this morning celebrating the fact that with all its recent misfortunes, the Japanese deserved a morale-boosting victory.

I am amazed by E Hoog's comment about long life taken from the blog of Jack Cafferty. This really is getting to be an integrated world. I seldom watch CNN because of their extreme left-wing bias. How Cafferty survives in that liberal atmosphere is beyond me. He is one of my favorites; he has the knack of addressing a problem and immediately cutting to the chase.

Tedd's explanation of his interest in book restoration was fascinating. Very interesting people on this discussion site. I've just started re-reading Flight of the Falcon, and am looking forward to spending some time in the company of Mungo St. John. My regards to all.
bayside

Postby johnrogers » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:43 pm

Bayside

You are correct the shame of the Vancouver riots after the hockey game has disturbed me forever and Bayside believe me I been watching and playing hockey for many years.My respect to the US team and there millions of fans for good sportsmanship and behaviour.A pity for the loss to the USA.

As far as CNN news goes Bayside I do watch it some as a Canadian I am always quite shocked about the celebrity status of American politicians - the majority of CNN news is directed to the inner workings of the US government and the elected officials I find it amazing that US news stations fill 70% of there news content about the Democrats and the Republicans.It is so much different here in Canada - but thanks to US news and CNN I think I know as much about American politics as I do Canadian politics :lol: I think Cnn has brainwashed me :lol: and I don't think Sarah Pallin is qualified to be the president of the United States.

Yes Bayside,I very much agree with you Tedd is well beyond being an interesting individual.Did you know that Tedd is 86 years old - pretty damned amazing - and his love of books is beyond understanding - there are some amazing people whom exsist of this forum.

Bayside - I asked you one before but you never replied - I did receive an email from you and I did send you a reply - did you ever receive my reply email ?
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby bayside » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:59 pm

No, John, I didn't. Perhaps I haven't learned to access personal messages on the site. Thanks.
bayside

Postby bayside » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:47 pm

bayside wrote:No, John, I didn't. Perhaps I haven't learned to access personal messages on the site. Thanks.

I hate to think of missing a message. As I said, the personal message feature in this site is still something I haven't worked out. Also, every time I come in I'm faced with a terrible surge of jealousy because most of you have great pictures that accompany your message. Perhaps you could steer me in the right direction of putting one on? I don't know if this is kosher for not, but you can contact me at [email protected]. You certainly seem to be a person I would enjoy exchanging ideas with. Thanks, Bayside
bayside

Postby johnrogers » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:49 pm

bayside wrote:
bayside wrote:No, John, I didn't. Perhaps I haven't learned to access personal messages on the site. Thanks.

I hate to think of missing a message. As I said, the personal message feature in this site is still something I haven't worked out. Also, every time I come in I'm faced with a terrible surge of jealousy because most of you have great pictures that accompany your message. Perhaps you could steer me in the right direction of putting one on? I don't know if this is kosher for not, but you can contact me at [email protected]. You certainly seem to be a person I would enjoy exchanging ideas with. Thanks, Bayside

Hi Bayside

I have posted a request in the forum for someone to give proper instructions on how to upload a photo or avatar so you can post a photo that you like. - go into user control panel and do a little research
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Next

Return to General Discussion Forum