Re: Comparable historical fiction writers

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Postby dbhargus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:59 pm

Please, I need help from all Wilbur Smith fans. I have read all of his books, and I am currently rereading the Courtney pirate series. I am exteremely addicted to Wilbur's books. Can anyone suggest some other authors who might come close to Mr. Smith as far as being an excellent historical fiction author?
David
dbhargus

Currently Reading: blue horizon

Postby johnrogers » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:45 pm

Well I am very much like you I have read all of Wilbur Smiths novels and a fan of historical fiction as well.Someone in this forum recently suggested I look in to author Conn Iggulden who writes of the life of Julius Caeser and an historical account of ancient Rome.There are four books in the series and should be read in proper order.I have just completed the first book in the series named The Gates of Rome and am just begining the second book in the series called The Death of Kings.I sincerely suggest you look into these writings as a very good reading experience - and in your genre as well
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby Nefer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi dbhargus - yours is not an un-common question!

I'm moving this thread to our "Other Authors" forum, where members have suggested loads of their fav. WS alternatives :D
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby tedd » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:26 am

dbhargus wrote:Please, I need help from all Wilbur Smith fans. I have read all of his books, and I am currently rereading the Courtney pirate series. I am exteremely addicted to Wilbur's books. Can anyone suggest some other authors who might come close to Mr. Smith as far as being an excellent historical fiction author?
David

I don't think that WS is a historical fiction writer at all. He is a great fiction writer who uses some incidents from history in his books but most of his writings are created with little regard for history. Colleen McCullough is a finer example of historical writing (Roman/Caesar stuff). For more African writers think of Keith Meadows (factual anf fictionalised history)), Percy Fitzpatrick (Jock of the Bushveld), Tony Park, Geoffrey Jenkins(all his books have some real event as the basis for the fiction woven around it)
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby annagram » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:25 pm

dbhargus wrote:Please, I need help from all Wilbur Smith fans. I have read all of his books, and I am currently rereading the Courtney pirate series. I am exteremely addicted to Wilbur's books. Can anyone suggest some other authors who might come close to Mr. Smith as far as being an excellent historical fiction author?
David

Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth" is a good book. James Michener wrote a book about South Africa called "The Covenant". James Michener's best books (in my opinion) are "Centennial" and "Hawaii".
annagram

Currently Reading: The winner by David baldacci

Postby bayside » Thu May 19, 2011 10:23 pm

A reply to a year-old Posting from someone who only recently stumbled on this marvelous discussion group: For those of you who would like to find an outstanding author who also writes about South African history -- and also writes historical fiction, I would highly recommend Sir Laurens Van der Post. He, too, is a native-born South African, predading WS by some 20 years. His insights into the bushmen of the Kalahari are unequaled. In his works of fiction, in my opinion, he is even more accurate in portraying conditions on the sub-continent as they truly are. One thing in particular I have noticed, is WS rarely makes mention of snakes in his books, and in particular, never of the copper cobra -- only a couple of mambas and one or two adders. Van der Post always has a lot of snakes -- more snakes than sex, for goodness sake -- perhaps that's why he isn't as well known. Living in the Southwestern United States, and spending most of my life in the wilds, I have always been concerned with where I camped, and always made sure it was free of (obvious) rattlesnakes before I spread out my sleeping bag under the stars. I have read all of WS's book and have never read of any of his characters making sure they weren't about to pitch their tent on a snake den. All minor points, though, and not enough to detract from his great writing. Give LVdP a try.
bayside

Currently Reading: Selects works of Graham Greene

Postby chookie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Morning all,

You could look int reading the books by Daniel Silva.
He has quite a few books published already.
I am reading through them now and they are a gripping read.
They are best read in order if possible.

Regards.
chookie

Currently Reading: In between books.

Postby Matbow » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:14 pm

chookie wrote:Morning all,

You could look int reading the books by Daniel Silva.
He has quite a few books published already.
I am reading through them now and they are a gripping read.
They are best read in order if possible.

Regards.

I am reading these at the moment too, currently on "The Confessor". All good reads so far, but a little bit "samey" and are best when you read a different book in between in my opinion.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby vincent » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:13 am

Try Larry McMurtry with his 4 Lonesome Dove series. History is a bit altered but a good read.
vincent

Location: Howick, Natal Midlands,South Africa. Close to Ladyburg!!!!
Currently Reading: The white whirlwind

Postby Stu » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:36 pm

Try Beverley Harper. Shadows in the Grass and Footprints of Lions. Also set in Zululand around the same time as When the Lion Feeds. Also covers the Zulu and Boer wars.
Stu

Currently Reading: none

Return to Other Authors