The London Olympics 2012

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

The London Olympics 2012

Postby johnrogers » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:25 pm

I am counting the days to the opening of the 2012 London Olympics,I am extremely excited to view all of the events.Plan on having three plasma televisions and my laptop in front of me to keep abreast of what is going on.I did the very same thing for the Vancouver Olympics and the China Olympics and never in my life have I been so moved by sports.Please even if your not a sports fanatic tune in and watch and cheer your country on you may even turn in to being a dedicated fan as I am.Support your country and you will feel good for doing so.

Go Canada I will be with you every step of the way. =D>
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Re: The London Olympics 2012

Postby E-Hoog » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:07 am

Wow, that sounds pretty die-hard :)

I also enjoy watching the Olympics when I can, but I'm not that devoted. I'm more devoted to the football (the european football championship just ended).

For John I say: Go Canada!
For me I say: Hup Holland!
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:28 am

=D>
E-Hoog wrote:Wow, that sounds pretty die-hard :)

I also enjoy watching the Olympics when I can, but I'm not that devoted. I'm more devoted to the football (the european football championship just ended).

For John I say: Go Canada!
For me I say: Hup Holland!

You know E-Hoog some of the events bore me to death,however it is all about the determination and hard work of the young athletes,a life time of hardcore training for there one chance to bring a medal home to there country.The Olympics seem to unite the world for a brief period which is a great feeling for me.I will keep my eye on the Dutch athletes this year.Whatever you do if you can please make certain to try and watch the opening cermonies .

For E-Hoog I say: Hup Holland :D
For John I say: Bring it on home to Canada and show the Dutchman some mercy :lol:
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:52 am

I know what you mean with the determination and hard work. That makes up for some of the events. For instance, we had a woman (ankie van grunsven) who won a golden metal by having her horse jump up and down a bit (no idea what that's called in english ;) ). But because she was Dutch and we had a chance to win, it was still fun to watch.

I will certainly watch the opening!
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:12 am

E-Hoog wrote:I know what you mean with the determination and hard work. That makes up for some of the events. For instance, we had a woman (ankie van grunsven) who won a golden metal by having her horse jump up and down a bit (no idea what that's called in english ;) ). But because she was Dutch and we had a chance to win, it was still fun to watch.

Yes I agree with you E-Hoog,some of the sporting events as per the one you mentioned in your post are somewhat boring to say the least.I recall watching the curling events during the Vancouver winter Olympics,curling is not high on my list,however the more I watched the competitions and the eliminations,by the time it got to the gold medal showdown I was completely hooked,in fact by the end of it I felt like I was watching a Stanley Cup hockey event - I am now a fan of curling because of the Olympics.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:59 pm

johnrogers wrote:
E-Hoog wrote:I know what you mean with the determination and hard work. That makes up for some of the events. For instance, we had a woman (ankie van grunsven) who won a golden metal by having her horse jump up and down a bit (no idea what that's called in english ;) ). But because she was Dutch and we had a chance to win, it was still fun to watch.

Yes I agree with you E-Hoog,some of the sporting events as per the one you mentioned in your post are somewhat boring to say the least.I recall watching the curling events during the Vancouver winter Olympics,curling is not high on my list,however the more I watched the competitions and the eliminations,by the time it got to the gold medal showdown I was completely hooked,in fact by the end of it I felt like I was watching a Stanley Cup hockey event - I am now a fan of curling because of the Olympics.

Curling is epic! I watched it once with a friend when nothing was on. We started out making fun of it (I mean come on, some guys with brooms running in front of a big sliding thing...), but in the end we were also hooked. Very good sport to watch when you get into it!

A friend of mine had a schoolmate who wanted to join a curling team. Apparently there are not that many in The Netherlands, so he ended up on the national time after just a couple of training sessions ;)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:29 am

Make sure to watch the opening ceremonies today.The greatest sporting event on the planet earth is about to unfold,the 2012 London Olympics.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Nefer » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:09 pm

Caught the opening ceremonies when I got home from work.

It was really well done! Hate to say it, but I think it was better than the Vancouver one. I was really emotionally connected to the 2010 Olympics (obviously!) but even still, I really enjoyed the one last night.

Go Canada!!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby tedd » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:13 pm

Olympics in 2010 Nefer???
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby E-Hoog » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:51 am

tedd wrote:Olympics in 2010 Nefer???

Winter Olympics :)

John: http://www.london2012.com/medals/medal-count/
So far so good in regard to Canada vs. The Netherlands ;) . We almost had the gold at the swimming event, but those @#$! australians beat us ;)

update: Our second medal is in the making. Only 18km to go in the womens road race. Go Marianne Vos!
update2: Gold!
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:09 am

Loved watching the opening ceremonies,Daniel Craig ( james bond ) flying in with Queen Elizabeth was to good to be true,David Beckman coming up the Thames River with the Olympic torch in the most incredible power boat I have ever layed my eyes on was perfect.The theme of the opening showing the history of London was emotional to say the least.I agree with Nefer the Olympics are about emotion,to see the young athletes strive to win for there country touches us all very deeply.

Thank for the link - Canada got there first bronze - Canada exceeds in the winter Olympics and in fact struggles in the Summer Olympics.

Well here is to day 2 - hard to believe Michael Phelps got beaten out by his team mate.But it does show you there is always someone coming up in the ranks coming up who is better than you.Proof that no one is king of the mountain forever ( except Wilbur Smith of course )

Go Canada
Go Holland
Go Australia - lets bring home those medals to our good friend Tedd :lol:
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby tedd » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:29 pm

JohnRogers - Aw gee thanks cobber!!!
The Aussies not doing as well as we hoped - but it's a great Games. Did you see those Chinese divers? - brilliant!!
I love the athletics especially the mid-distance running, the marathon and the pentathlon, they usually start later in the Games - always fancied myself as a bit of a runner a long, long time ago - haha!!
Good viewing all - tedd
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:25 am

Day Three

Gold medal for the Netherlands - road cycling
Bronze medal for the Netherlands - swimming

Gold - Silver & Bronze for Austraila - swimming

Bronze medal for Canada - swimming
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:57 pm

Today we just missed out on a medal in Judo :(. Australia is ahead of both the Netherlands and Canada for now. Good luck to you all!

By the way, did you guys see the women road cycling race? God, that was exciting :)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:02 pm

E-Hoog wrote:Today we just missed out on a medal in Judo :(. Australia is ahead of both the Netherlands and Canada for now. Good luck to you all!

By the way, did you guys see the women road cycling race? God, that was exciting :)

Keep your eye out for Michael Phelps today - he has a chance to tie the world record for most amount of Gold Medals in the history of the Olympics :)
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby johnrogers » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:13 am

Day 6

Australia - 10 medals - 1 Gold - 5 Silver - 2 Bronze - ( all swimming events ) - 1 Silver ( rowing ) - 1 Silver (canoe/kayak )

Netherlands - 5 medals - 1 Gold ( Cycling ) - 1 Silver ( swimming ) - 2 Bronze ( judo ) - 1 Bronze ( rowing )

Canada - 7 medals - 2 Bronze - ( both diving events ) - 1 Bronze ( judo ) - 1 Bronze ( womens weightlifting )
2 Silver ( rowing ) - 1Bronze ( swimming )

Note - What a go Michael Phelps - the most decorated Olympian in the history of the Olympics
Last edited by johnrogers on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Nefer » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:33 pm

Yep I was talking about the Winter Olympics that Vancouver hosted - emotional because I live here :)

Can't believe Phelps isn't doing any better, he seems a bit over it.

And it's so hard cheering for your country when clearly summer sports aren't our thing - I will have to adopt the Brits & cheer for them :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Nefer wrote:Yep I was talking about the Winter Olympics that Vancouver hosted - emotional because I live here :)

Can't believe Phelps isn't doing any better, he seems a bit over it.

And it's so hard cheering for your country when clearly summer sports aren't our thing - I will have to adopt the Brits & cheer for them :)

Just called Prince William and Prince Harry they said they will expediate your adoption papers and will pick you up at Heathrow Airport tomorrow at 9 am - London time.
Regarding Emotion Nefer - take a look of those young athletes standing on the podium accepting there medals - you can only imagine there sense of pride and accomplishment during that moment in time - will bring a tear to your eye for sure
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby tedd » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:20 pm

Goodness sake Nefer - you can do much better than that!! The Aussies have a saying in sports when asked "Who are you cheering for?" They answer "Any country playing the Poms"
The Canucks put on a good show in the rowing yesterday - I was really chuffed to see them come up like that - well done Canada!!
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby E-Hoog » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:17 pm

Canada is doing well :). Today they were up on the stage with us. Or better: we were on the stage with them, as they won silver and we won bronze in rowing. If you guys win one gold medal you'll jump a large way up the medal leader board. Same goes for Australia for that matter :)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Next

Return to General Discussion Forum