The Presidental Election - Obama/Romney

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

The Presidental Election - Obama/Romney

Postby johnrogers » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:41 pm

Crazy Canadian here,I am very much in to current events,have been a newshound devout for years.Have also spent hours of tv watching and following the presidential election on CNN,Fox,MSNBC,special broadcasts etc.The fanfare,the speculation,the analysis,the bantering,and not to mention the bashing of each candidate.

Much different here in Canada during election time,the fanfare lasts for about a six week period then the election takes place.I find it amazing how big the event is in the United States,tell you what whom ever wins the election ( think Obama will win ) good luck,this political unrest in the middle east has not even begun,the financial crisis in the world is far from being settled.If I were Mitt Romney I would take my billion dollars and buy an Island in the Caribbean and sip Margaritas with beautiful maidens fanning me with palm leaves :lol: - rather than take on the impossible future.

Looking forward to another 100 hours of Bill Oriley and Wolf Blitzer before the election,my god I know more about American politicians then the politicians in my own country.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Re: The Presidental Election - Obama/Romney

Postby tedd » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:03 am

It doesn't matter who you vote for - you'll always get a politician
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:22 am

tedd wrote:It doesn't matter who you vote for - you'll always get a politician

Ha ha Tedd so damn true - my grandma always drilled it in to my head to never talk politics or religion which is quite true,but I will tell you I am hypnotized with the American election process.Cant believe how the US politicians achieve celebrity status in the first degree
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby johnrogers » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:19 pm

Crazy Canadian here again - will be watching the Presidental Obama/Romney debate tonight on television,it will be on every station.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby tedd » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:42 am

So what was your impression johnrogers?
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:55 pm

Hello Tedd

No doubt Mitt Romney did a great job last night and I believe came out in the forefront.He was well prepared to defeat Barrack Obama and on the attack as Obama was on the defensive.Mitt Romney did show the American voting public that he is capable of running the country.I am certain he won the confidence of many undecided voters.Let me say this I do have a different view of Mitt Romney because of the debate.Obama is fighting for his life as well,there is much less fanfare than there was when he was elected to become the President of the United States four years ago.During that campaign Obama had celebrity status equal to none and the United States was spellbound almost equal to the second coming of Christ,that to me is the unique about american politics is that they hold there politicians in the same regard as hollywood movie stars.What Obama has that Romney does not is charisma,Mitt is all business but has no charm.

I think this Tedd,it will be a very close race,I do think Barrack Obama will win the election.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby chookie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:50 pm

I am not interested in politics one bit.
One party is just as bad as the other as far as I am concerned.
I prefer to read books that read political stuff that does not interest me one bit.

So lets read a book. :D 8)
chookie

Currently Reading: In between books.

Postby johnrogers » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:00 pm

Crazy Canadian Here Again

The thing about Mitt Romney that is his strength are his solutions to the economy,and in fact he may do a better job than Barrack Obama in the long term,simply being that sometimes a new approach to things get's the job done.Mitt has promsied two trillion dollars to the Military over the next ten years,and I also see he has a hard line pointed at China if he gets elected,odd the other one who blames China for the economy is Donald Trump.

The thing about Barrack Obama that is his strength are his solutions to foreign policys,Obama is by far the superior man to manage the affairs of the world,as far as I am concerned he has done a great job considering the impossible challenges he has had to deal with.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby annagram » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:59 am

obama couldn't run a lemonade stand let alone a country!!!!!!! He was and still is totally inexperienced and unfit for the job. The press refuses to vet him properly. Only Fox News reports on Fast and Furious and the horrible murders in Benghazi among other things.

so called charisma is not the main criteria for electing a president. While I don't think Romney was the best pick he is certainly head and shoulders above obama. You know he must not have any skeletons in his closet when the democrats have to go back to his teen age years to find something derogatory to report on or the fact that he put his dog in a crate once and tied it to the top of his car; never mind that obama has consorted with known terrorists (Bill Ayers) and an obnoxious racist minister was his pastor even though he finally threw him under the bus. And as far as he (Romney) has only released two years of his income tax returns, that is ridiculous. You know perfectly well that those in power would have the IRS all over Romney if he had done anything illegal on his income tax filings.
annagram

Currently Reading: The winner by David baldacci

Postby johnrogers » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi Annagram,I certainly agree with you that Mitt Romney is a very capable man and is fit to be the President,and for sure he was the best choice for the Republican party,he does have a presence that is very powerful,and I was very impressed with his debate with Obama,like I get it Mitt Romney is one hell of a smart guy,and his moral character is perfect and unflawed,he is a very impressive individual.Please keep in mind my perspective is from the outside,I am Canadian and do not have a deep understanding of politics in the United States,but I really am captivated and interested.I really do believe that Mitt Romney would be the best solution for the economy he has a business air about him that seems undoubted.

Whatever the final outcome of the Presidental election may be the challenges ahead for Obama or Romney are huge,the middle east is in a huge mess,almost at war it seems,and Europe is having financial woes that are very serious.Iran will have to be dealt with one day soon enough I believe,and Israel is speaking out quite a lot.I am sure you see my point - call it an impossible situation for whoever becomes President.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby annagram » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:09 am

I am very much afraid that the world is in a situation much like pre WWII times. Currently we are trying to appease the enemy as they did to Hitler but it won't work. I worry for my childen and grandchildren.
annagram

Postby johnrogers » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:39 am

I am amazed at the impact of the first Presidental debate,Mitt Romney accomplished more than he could hope for and has managed to close the 7 point gap in the polls.Amazing the impact of television and the media,not to mention it was watched by 70 million Americans.I watched a speech Mitt Romney gave a day or two ago about his take on foreign policy,and what I get from it is that he has a hardline approach to settling the unrest in the middle east,suppy arms to the Syrian rebels,and to put Iran on notice regarding there nuclear interests.Romney as well has gained the US militarys support with his pledge of 2 trillion dollars to the military machine in the US.

I will tell you the second Presidental debate coming up in a few weeks should be interesting to watch.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby bayside » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:14 pm

What you saw in the presidential debate last week was the unveiling of the real Barak Hussein Obama. He is merely a fictitious persona that was created and programmed by a very powerful political structure, and one who can give stirring speeches (as long as he has a teleprompter to read from). When it comes to thinking, however, the world plainly saw him to be totally uninformed on the issues. The mainstream American news media slants everything in a manner that aids Obama. His history, his background is totally hidden and covered up. What little has been revealed (re: his 20 years of listening to the radical Jerimiah Wright) has been spun to make black appear to be white. The only accurate news you will receive is from Fox news and from CNBC business news, especially from the Kudlow Report every weekday at 4 pm PST.

The main reason Obama was elected in 2008 was because the American public was sick and tired of the policies of George Bush and his involving us in two land wars in the middle-east. The Republican candidate, John McCain, was another war-hawk who presented the spectacle of more and more war. I believe Romney will get us out of Afghanistan and not foolishly involve us in any more wars.

If Obama is reelected (for the Crazy Canadian's sake) you'd better look for a mass exodus from the U.S. up to our more sensible neighbor to the north. The U.S. could not survive another four years of Obama!
bayside

Currently Reading: Selects works of Graham Greene

Postby johnrogers » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:29 pm

Well I must admit the debate still has me floored holding on to my jawbone in fact,I did not see it coming at all,Obama held his head down and looked so damn tired and wiped out,and even avoided eye contact during the debate.I did not expect Romney to come thru as he did,and will even say that he swayed my opinion a total 360 degrees.I very well may be way out on my Obama will win the election prediction.Regarding Afghanistan,what a waste of lives time and money,even the Russians admitted defeat and got out of there after there 10 year war with them,same goes for Iraq,both countries will avert to the way they were 20 years ago in a short period of time.
Yes I do watch a lot of American political news station,Fox,Cnn,Cnbc,Mnbc,and am watching the opinion interviews with political junkies on Piers Morgan as well.One word coming from a candidates mouth during this Presidental campaign generates thousands of anylasis from a thousand professional political tv personalites.It is hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.I understand what you mean by commenting on the fabrication of Barrack Obama for the sake of the election four years ago,and I am aware of the belief that Obama was not born in the United States.Interesting to read the take on things from an Americans point of view,glad to hear from both you and Annagram.I will pay more attention to the Kudlow report over the next 30 days.

Crazy Canuck :lol:
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby annagram » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:49 am

Bayside - you are so right!!!! Another reason he was elected was because many people thought it would be nice to have a black man in the White House. While I have no objection to a black man occupying the White House, I would prefer one who actually had some experience and had sound ideas. This one has spent his time in office campaigning for his next election. It has been a disgrace.
annagram

Postby johnrogers » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:20 am

Total 360 degree turnaround for me.My initial belief was that Barack Obama would win the Presidental election.I think I may have been wrong in my judgement.I now think that Mitt Romney will win the election and become the next President of The United States.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Nefer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:42 pm

I have to jump in and respectfully disagree with the Romney supporters. I mean really?! This man and his party are completely against women's rights and based on that alone if I were American I would never vote for him. And opposition to stem cell research and universal health care? These are things that many first world countries hold dear as their values; and no politician would dare to take these rights away. The Dems are trying to advance your country and the Rep's are trying their best to make a quick buck; environment and society be damned.

And Fox News the bastion of truth?

I hardly ever watch American news broadcasts because they are so polarised and biased, with the goal of attracting viewership and hence revenue. You should carefully judge your sources; and I'm sure you have.

Politics is a touchy subject and we all have our views and are entitled to them; I'm not trying to change your opinions. But facts are facts; and cannot be changed to suit the audience or the speaker.

I think Obama has a tough race; hope he wins but it's too close to call right now.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Nefer wrote:I have to jump in and respectfully disagree with the Romney supporters. I mean really?! This man and his party are completely against women's rights and based on that alone if I were American I would never vote for him. And opposition to stem cell research and universal health care? These are things that many first world countries hold dear as their values; and no politician would dare to take these rights away. The Dems are trying to advance your country and the Rep's are trying their best to make a quick buck; environment and society be damned.

And Fox News the bastion of truth?

I hardly ever watch American news broadcasts because they are so polarised and biased, with the goal of attracting viewership and hence revenue. You should carefully judge your sources; and I'm sure you have.

Politics is a touchy subject and we all have our views and are entitled to them; I'm not trying to change your opinions. But facts are facts; and cannot be changed to suit the audience or the speaker.

I think Obama has a tough race; hope he wins but it's too close to call right now.

Touchy subject Nefer I agree with you,but what we Canadians do not understand is how much the Americans want change and recovery from the last four years under the Obama administration,can Romney do a better job,maybe not,but I think the Americans do not want another four years of the same thing and may be willing to gamble for a better future on the hopes of Mitt Romney,that is why I think Romney will win.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Matbow » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:34 pm

What I find interesting about America/American politics is how far apart on the political spectrum the GOP and the Democrats are, especially when in comparison to other countries it could be argued that both parties are on the "right" side of this political spectrum.

This distinct difference in the ideas of the two parties is clearly one of the key reasons why talking politics in the USA can be such a heated and contentious subject as a fundamental concept/belief for the members of one party could be viewed as ridiculous by the other. Also, the fact that America is so far on the "right" is quite possibly why so many foreign people (myself included) are so intrigued with American politics; quite simply we find it mind boggling that some of the fundamental concepts of our societies can be seen as sacrilegious by Americans.

In the U.K (my home country) there are two main parties - the Conservatives and Labour, historically both were at polar opposites on the political scale however over the past 30 years both parties have converged on the middle ground, each being only marginally "right" or "left". Most people would associate the Democrats (and Obama) with being "left" leaning, however I recently read and article on the BBC website which actually outlined that Obama had made some Conservative like decisions:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19577434

I'd also LOVE for there to be an unbiased news corporation in the USA - FOX is so clearly anti Obama/Democrat that it's laughable and I'm sure there are channels that are anti Romney/GOP as well (NY Times?). Given the average American will be influenced by these corporations, without realizing that they are just churning out the propaganda favored by the owners, I find it very concerning that there isn't a news outlet that is strictly fact based, not opinion (like the BBC which is legally obliged to be politically impartial).

I shall watch this upcoming election with interest, however I have to admit to being of the opinion that no matter who is elected we won't see much change.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby annagram » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:15 am

perhaps American politics should be left to the Americans - we have been doing a very good job for over two hundred years!!!!

And as far as Romney being against women's rights, where on earth do you get such a ridiculous idea? Do you think he is really going to get in office and turn over Roe vs Wade and outlaw birth control, etc.? You must be watching too much MSNBC and not enough Fox. I don't know whether you watch Fox news or not but many people who are the most critical of it, never watch it. They do present both sides of issues unlike some other channels.
annagram

Next

Return to General Discussion Forum