Jeffrey Whittam - Sons Of Africa

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Re: Jeffrey Whittam - Sons Of Africa

Postby E-Hoog » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:49 am

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for checking. We'll see when they arrive :). For now, I'm engrossed in Warlock. I might even give The Quest a go afterwards. By then your books should have arrived :)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby tedd » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:08 pm

Thanks for info Jeff - I've read EG on Kindle and reviewed on Amazon. I shall enjoy it all the more when I get the hard copy and re-read it - hopefully just in time for Christmas too. I'll put it into a hardback ASAP - might try a different format to the SOA I bound and let you see it on this site when complete.
Getting near Xmas cobber - be lonelier for me as I lost my lovely wife of 61 years a few weeks ago - but lucky for me my family all live close by and have rallied around so am not left alone too long.

Hamba gahle shamwari
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Matbow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:01 pm

tedd wrote:Thanks for info Jeff - I've read EG on Kindle and reviewed on Amazon. I shall enjoy it all the more when I get the hard copy and re-read it - hopefully just in time for Christmas too. I'll put it into a hardback ASAP - might try a different format to the SOA I bound and let you see it on this site when complete.
Getting near Xmas cobber - be lonelier for me as I lost my lovely wife of 61 years a few weeks ago - but lucky for me my family all live close by and have rallied around so am not left alone too long.

Hamba gahle shamwari

Sorry to hear about your loss Tedd.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby jeffw » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:16 am

tedd wrote:Thanks for info Jeff - I've read EG on Kindle and reviewed on Amazon. I shall enjoy it all the more when I get the hard copy and re-read it - hopefully just in time for Christmas too. I'll put it into a hardback ASAP - might try a different format to the SOA I bound and let you see it on this site when complete.

Hamba gahle shamwari

Hi Tedd; so sorry, mate, must have knocked you sideways. Nothing else that one can say, but your memories - no one can take those off you. Hold her in your heart my friend, until you meet again.
God bless; Stay safe and enjoy Christmas with your family.
jeffw

Postby E-Hoog » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:04 am

Hi Tedd,

So sorry to hear that. Cherish your memories and take strenght in your family. In them she will live on forever. Take care and all the best!

Tom
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby E-Hoog » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:56 am

My swimmer is under way :). He will arrive at December 4th. I haven't yet received confirmation from which port I should pick him up ;)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jeffw » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:12 am

Watch for the canoe, E ! With a good rifle you should be able to take him out from 800 yards! :lol:
jeffw

Postby E-Hoog » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:27 am

jeffw wrote:Watch for the canoe, E ! With a good rifle you should be able to take him out from 800 yards! :lol:

Seems rather poor sport to shoot someone who has just crossed the Atlantic in a canoe ;)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jeffw » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:44 am

Do it anyway!!! :D
jeffw

Postby tedd » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi Jeff - despite Amazon giving me a delivery date for EG of 19th December, actual delivery was today 19th November - will start devouring shortly. tedd
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jeffw » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:20 am

Hi Tedd - that's good news. Hope it entertains. Can't wait for you to read the next book (no. 3), got a feeling it's right up your alley!!! Just reached 31000 words, oh hum, bloody long way to go but love it ! :D
Jeff
jeffw

Postby E-Hoog » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:00 am

The canoe delivery guy cheated with an outboard motor. I received the books yesterday. I still need to finish some Egyptian work, but then it's on to the new arrivals!
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:00 am

Hello Tedd

From the bottom of my heart I want to express the loss of your loved one to you,I can not imagine what you must feel.All my very best to you Tedd keep your chin up old friend.

johnrogers
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby tedd » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:56 pm

johnrogers - where have you been? Have missed your contributions for many weeks.
Thanks for your condolences - the loss doesn't go away but the hurt softens with time.
Christmas is nearly upon us - all the best to you and your family for the festive season (I
suppose that turkey is having the jitters just now) and for the New Year. tedd
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby E-Hoog » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:44 pm

Halfway through Empress Gold. Very exciting! I hope the other half is as good :)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby E-Hoog » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:25 am

I finished Empress Gold. For the most part I really liked it :). Towards the end it got a bit confusing to be honest. The excitement tapered off. Nevertheless a very nice read. Well done Jeff! Can't wait for the next one!
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:40 pm

A few months ago I finally read Jeffrey Whittams recent offering and fantastic new book Empress Gold,the follow up to Sons Of Africa.I actually purchased the book on June 21st -2013 but never got to it.I did myself a great favour and re read Sons Of Africa before I started up Empress Gold and I am glad that I did kind of gave me a chance to identify with the characters and the storyline again.I have got to tell you I truly loved this book,in fact I will say it was one of the very best books I have ever read in my life,not a dull minute on any page,the intrigue was nail biting,and the characters Whittam developed were very real and visual,The story itself was the amazing,I love reading about gold mines,Africa, and mystery within.What I do find interesting about Jeffrey Whittam is that you can see the and read the influence Wilbur Smith has had on Whittam,more like I see a little piece of every book Wilbur has written in Jeffrey Whittams work.
It is impossible if someone asked you "what is the best book you have ever read" it is impossible to answer but I will say regarding Empress Gold it hovers in the same circle as anything I have ever read,equal to Conn Iggulden,Wilbur Smith,Deon Meyer,Stephen King etc .Honest the enjoyment factor for me was over the top had a friggin ball when I read it.

Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby johnrogers » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:44 am

Comparing Jeffrey Whittam to Wilbur Smith

I do find when I read a Jeffrey Whittam book it very much seems like I am reading something that Wilbur wrote himself.By the same token (example his last three books) when I read a book written by Wilbur Smith it seems I don't feel like I am reading a book written by Wilbur Smith anymore as compared to the great Wilbur of yesteryear.I am certain most will agree with my statement about Wilburs recent books.
Wilbur has written about 34 books of which in my opinion only the last three have been a little disappointing but that means as well he has written 31 that have been fantastic some almost masterpieces in fact and I had so very much enjoyment and grand fun reading them - once again thank you Wilbur for them.
Jeffrey Whittam is writing like the Wilbur of yesteryear at this point in time,both his books Sons of Africa and Empress Gold stand up pretty even and equal to what Wilbur produced in his finest years.
I really actually do believe that over a period of the next few decades it is very possible that Jeffrey Whittam may be regarded as highly as Wilbur Smith is today.

Just Saying
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby jeffw » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:21 am

Hi John; been away researching for my next book, too big a story for me to get it wrong. A new thread to follow and for me, a personal best. Will keep you posted.
ps, thanks for your wonderful support,
God bless
Jeff
jeffw

Postby johnrogers » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:58 pm

Hi Jeff - getting pretty close to your release of your new book I think, can you give a date when it will be available in Canada thru amazon.canada - quite looking forward to reading it.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

PreviousNext

Return to Other Authors