DESERT GOD

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series.

DESERT GOD

Postby tedd » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:14 pm

Well I bought my copy of Desert God yesterday (1st day of issue in Australia although it was advertised as about to be published in early October) I've started to read it and am pleased that it takes place before Taita changes to a magician and revives his masculinity. Like River God it's written in the first person which probably means that Taita will still be alive at the end of the book - WS has a proclivity for surprisingly knocking off some of his prime characters. No further comment at this stage
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: DESERT GOD

Postby Nefer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:44 pm

Ooooh that's sounds very hopeful!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby tedd » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:42 pm

OK - I'd never make a good book critic but now I have finished Desert God I think I can make some general comments without spoiling it for others. I loved it! I shall read it again shortly!! It's intriguing, never stops with the excitement, is better written than all WS's most recent other offerings. - he has given more thought to his style, the continuity, the build-up and the climax - he has been more imaginative, creative - he's kept away from his attempts at sex scenes which he was never good at! -the old WS. What's more - it brings in new scenes (Mediterranean, Crete, Middle East), it's not predictable - very surprising in fact - would make a tremendous film.
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:18 pm

tedd wrote:OK - I'd never make a good book critic but now I have finished Desert God I think I can make some general comments without spoiling it for others. I loved it! I shall read it again shortly!! It's intriguing, never stops with the excitement, is better written than all WS's most recent other offerings. - he has given more thought to his style, the continuity, the build-up and the climax - he has been more imaginative, creative - he's kept away from his attempts at sex scenes which he was never good at! -the old WS. What's more - it brings in new scenes (Mediterranean, Crete, Middle East), it's not predictable - very surprising in fact - would make a tremendous film.

Terrific news I'm so damn happy to hear the positive feedback
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby tedd » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:52 am

I found only one spelling mistake "torturous" - there's no such word!! It should be "tortuous" - a common error which should have been picked up by 'spellcheck' Mr Harper Collins! Has anybody noticed the change in publisher?
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:08 pm

tedd wrote:I found only one spelling mistake "torturous" - there's no such word!! It should be "tortuous" - a common error which should have been picked up by 'spellcheck' Mr Harper Collins! Has anybody noticed the change in publisher?

Just curious how long did it take you to read Desert God ?
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby tedd » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:10 am

Hi John - It normally takes me 7-10 days to read the general standard novel - I seldom read during the day , limiting my reading to evening and in bed before lights out! This time I cheated and read at any old time I could get my hands on the book - so I completed it in four days, probably 3-4 hours a day. Desert Gold did get me in!! - I could have read it through in one sitting except I had other calls on my time - it's not as long as his early books "Lion roars" "Sound of thunder" tedd
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:06 pm

tedd wrote:Hi John - It normally takes me 7-10 days to read the general standard novel - I seldom read during the day , limiting my reading to evening and in bed before lights out! This time I cheated and read at any old time I could get my hands on the book - so I completed it in four days, probably 3-4 hours a day. Desert Gold did get me in!! - I could have read it through in one sitting except I had other calls on my time - it's not as long as his early books "Lion roars" "Sound of thunder" tedd

Must say you blazed thru it very quickly but that also must mean it is a very good book.This is really fantastic news
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Matbow » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:40 pm

I meant to post this a while ago but never got around to it. There was a post from Niso Smith on Facebook (that I now can't find/she deleted) in response to an article about Desert God that said something along the lines of "this book was 100% written by Wilbur".
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby tedd » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:29 pm

Hasn't anybody else read this book yet, or do they think it so bad that it's not worth a comment!!! Would like to hear what others think
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Matbow » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:58 am

tedd wrote:Hasn't anybody else read this book yet, or do they think it so bad that it's not worth a comment!!! Would like to hear what others think

Not yet released in the US :? :(
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby jeffw » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:05 am

As it comes...
Last edited by jeffw on Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeffw

Postby johnrogers » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:13 am

Ok - today is the day I start Desert God.I have waited years for this and now I get to end my obsession with the Egyptian series.No matter what the outcome I am grateful there is a final closure to come my way.

If its like the Quest I may have to shoot myself - ok Taita time for the showdown :lol:
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:42 am

johnrogers wrote:Ok - today is the day I start Desert God.I have waited years for this and now I get to end my obsession with the Egyptian series.No matter what the outcome I am grateful there is a final closure to come my way.

If its like the Quest I may have to shoot myself - ok Taita time for the showdown :lol:

Good luck and have fun!
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby jeffw » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:49 am

Just read some disturbing news on WS's facebook page : his children, obviously from an earlier marriage are laying into him. Quite shocking, really. Since their postings, his Facebook page has gone quiet. One reader said he has binned all his WS books because of what he's been made aware of. Makes my head spin; can't work this guy out? What do you think? :shock:
jeffw

Postby johnrogers » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:20 am

jeffw wrote:Just read some disturbing news on WS's facebook page : his children, obviously from an earlier marriage are laying into him. Quite shocking, really. Since their postings, his Facebook page has gone quiet. One reader said he has binned all his WS books because of what he's been made aware of. Makes my head spin; can't work this guy out? What do you think? :shock:

What do you mean by laying into him Jeff - hope it is not what I think it is.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby jeffw » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:22 am

Hi John - I mean verbally - didn't hold back either. Check it out on his Facebook page; on his timeline discussion for Des. God. If no joy I'll copy and paste on here for you. Reckon he's gone into hiding after suffering the embarrassment of their accusations!!!
Take care,
Jeff
jeffw

Postby johnrogers » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:34 pm

jeffw wrote:Hi John - I mean verbally - didn't hold back either. Check it out on his Facebook page; on his timeline discussion for Des. God. If no joy I'll copy and paste on here for you. Reckon he's gone into hiding after suffering the embarrassment of their accusations!!!
Take care,
Jeff

Well Jeff I read the post on his facebook page just after I posted to you this morning and just went back to his page and I believe it has been deleted.So I take it that the post came from his daughter and what she is saying is that Wilbur was a very hard parent.What the details might be about being put into an orphanage is disturbing whatever the reason may be.It is a rotten thing to abandon your children,the mental suffering never goes away.I know I could not live with this on my conscience.Why Wilbur would cut them out of his will and not be there to help them is a crime knowing that Wilbur has such wealth.I support my children even though they are adults.I experienced a very similar experience with my father and was disowned early in life,to this very day at 64 years of age I still suffer from his mental abuse.No one has the right to treat anyone that way we have a responsibility when we bring children in to this world.Nasty man really nasty.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby jeffw » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:28 pm

Hi John, your kids are fortunate enough to have a great father, I'm sure they appreciate you. Reading that article on his facebook page kind of finished my interest in all things WS. Perhaps occasionally, via my morbid curiosity I will take a 'sneak-peek' at what he's up to. :(
You take care and stay in touch,
God bless.
jeffw

Postby Matbow » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:56 pm

jeffw wrote:Hi John, your kids are fortunate enough to have a great father, I'm sure they appreciate you. Reading that article on his facebook page kind of finished my interest in all things WS. Perhaps occasionally, via my morbid curiosity I will take a 'sneak-peek' at what he's up to. :(
You take care and stay in touch,
God bless.

There are two sides to every story. Whilst I am pretty sure Wilbur isn't a good father (he admits that himself) it does seem that his daughter is running a bit of a smear campaign against him. Who knows what the real story is?

Posted on 8/24/12 on Facebook:
WILBUR SMITH,,, SOUTH AFRICAN AUTHOR, IS THE WORST OFFENDER..HE REALLY ENJOYS SHOOTING ELEPHANTS..BUT WILL SHOOT A LION OR TWO...FROM A SAFE DISTANCE...OF COURSE..
he will also shoot a rhino when he can...and all condoned by the WWF..they have just kicked out the king of Spain for his love of hunting...wish they would do the same to him.. but he donates to them...such double standards..he even uses skins of the elephants he murders to bind the personal copies of his books according to interviews I have seen..

Posted on Facebook as an answer to the post "Wilbur's books are always action-packed, but what was your own earliest adventure?"
when my father,Wilbur Smith, put me in an orphanage in Africa when I was 5...exciting times...

Don't lie and don't cheat. dear daddy... you should have listened to Grampa...

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Next

Return to The Egyptians