The Last Lion

New member? Feel free to introduce yourself...

The Last Lion

Postby ianrogerb » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:39 am

Hello

My name is Ian and yes I'm another fan of Wilbur Smith books and films
I have read all of his books, although I am now onto Clive Cussler
I have also seen the films that have been made eg., Gold, The Diamond Hunters, Shout at the Devil, The Seventh Scroll, The Burning Shore, The Dark of the Sun, Wild Justice. I have just received a video cassette copy of The Last Lion which is what I'm about to ask more about.
Did Wilbur Smith only write the screenplay to this film, as I don't see it based upon any of the books he wrote? If it does which book?
I found out that Those in Peril is being made into a film..how about any others?

Ian
ianrogerb

Currently Reading: Arctic Drift - Clive Cussler

Re: The Last Lion

Postby dtietens » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:56 am

"The Last Lion - 1972" was released on DVD in March 2012. The screenplay was written by Wilbur Smith.
A hunter pursues a lion, engaging in an epic battle with it. The theme of the film is loosingly taken over in part of WS' book "A Time to Die (1989)" (as far as I remember it, but my memory could play trics on me).
Hope the info helps to answer your question.

An small update - Just to be complete :D
"The Kingfisher Caper" filmed in 1975 has the same storyline as "The Diamond Hunters" filmed in 2001.
All are availble on DVD except The Kingfisher Caper which can only be sourced as a VHS.
dtietens

Currently Reading: Karin Brynard, Onse vaders

Postby E-Hoog » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:43 am

ianrogerb wrote:Hello

I have read all of his books, although I am now onto Clive Cussler

Ian

Hi and welcome,

I'm a fan of Clive Cussler as well :-). Although not all of it is good in my opinion. The books he wrote himself (so with Pitt) are quite good (not necessarily the ones written by his son). I also like the Numa series with Paul Kemprecos. But the rest is a bit tricky. The Oregon series for instance I'm not too sure about. And there is a lot more out there bearing his name, but for me it's only the originals that are really good!

Wat are your favourites? I really like Inca Gold, Atlantis Found, Serpent and Shockwave.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby E-Hoog » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:25 am

Nowadays there seem to be 6-7 series going on with the Cussler name. Good for him, but indeed, only the originals are the best. Like I said: the Numa series is OK as well, but the rest is quite crap (including the "new" Dirk Pitt novels where he is the Director of Numa. The ones his son writes)

Btw, that reminds me of Tom Clancy. He also had some series on the side, with ghost writers. Don't read those...
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Return to Introductions