Football?

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Football?

Postby John R » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:33 pm

Anyone like following football at all? I have always loved the game personally and can't wait for the world cup in the summer. I enjoy the big games like tomorrow night Chelsea versus Barcelona. I'll be supporting Barca!
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Monsoon » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:39 pm

I'll be supporting Barca!

So will I!
Champions League is rubbish this year anyway :)
I reckon there will be quite a few threads going during the World Cup, and some of our S.American friends may have a few things to say.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby John R » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:45 pm

Glad to see Chelsea going out tonight. Now for Liverpool to crash tomorrow! Who says i'm a bitter man utd fan!? :twisted:
John R
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:02 pm

That makes two of you!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby John R » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:39 am

All i can hope for now is that man u get 2nd spot in the league above Liverpool. That'll do me for this season.

As for the World Cup, I fancy Italy to win it. Everyone will be saying Brazil but i'm not so sure.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Yakumo » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:21 am

England are gonna win it.
Yakumo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:25 pm

I really hope not! Although they have their best chance in a very long time. More world class players than in recent memory, all peaking at the right time, and the tournament is in Europe so no problems with climate.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:13 pm

Yakumo wrote:England are gonna win it.

Agreed.
In fact i think our name has been on this trophy for some time. That is of course if the refs allow physical contact in this tournament and if we can get evening fixtures for the knock out stages, because the afternoon games will still be strength sapping.
I have always wondered if Brazil would be so great if the World Cup was hosted in January in Northern Europe!
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby John R » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:03 pm

I don't think England will actually win it...or maybe i'm just trying to convince myself that they won't! They have the individual players but they don't gel well together. You got Lampard and Gerrard in the midfield, but they don't go together at all.Who's gonna hold and who's gonna go forward? Left side is always a problem too. No balance. And at the moment you have no left back. Brazil have the edge on England, and i think Italy would beat them if they meet.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:50 pm

Why is it that the vast majority of Welsh and Scottish always want England to lose? I don't get it! Most English people would support the Welsh and Scottish teams if they had got through to the finals had England not. Or is that just me?

I think the only chance we (England) have off winning is if Rooney has a stunner of a competition. We've got a solid team, but need Rooney to spark it off. Joe Cole looks to have the left mid position and hopefully Ashley Cole will be fit.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Phils_jd » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:27 pm

I think you guys are all off target - the good money is going on Australia (in both World Cups),
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Postby John R » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:44 am

There's so many different reasons why the rest of the U.K dislikes England when it comes to sport. 1of the main ones would be the fact that the English still go on about 1966 like it was yesterday. I don't think the Welsh, Scots and Irish could stomach another 60 years of that crap if England ever win something again. It's also a local rivalry thing. The same happens else where. Spain and Portugal. Brazil and Argentina.
John R
Founder Member

Postby John R » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:46 am

Phils_jd wrote:I think you guys are all off target - the good money is going on Australia (in both World Cups),

:D Oh yeah, how could i forget Australia! I'd like to see them do well. Getting through the groups would be an achievment (in the footy) and the Rugby....well...
John R
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:26 am

JohnRook wrote:
Who says i'm a bitter man utd fan!?

Mat wrote:
That makes two of you!

Yes, but he's the bitter one, not me! :D
[-( I just refuse to discuss Champions League matters until next season!

Monsoon
Founder Member

Return to General Discussion Forum