Battlestar Galactica

Battlestar Galactica

Postby Monsoon » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:06 am

"Previously on Battlestar Galactica"

Mat wrote:
@Monsoon - You can pick up the Battlestar mini-series DVD for 6 quid from Amazon...its a 3 hour film which was so popular they made it into a full blown programme starting where the mini series ended. If you like the mini series you can get season one for 16 quid from amazon too. I can't rate it highly enough.

I did take your advice and bought the mini-series and season 1 from Amazon UK. I watched the 3hr film a couple of weeks ago and i am into the first 4 episodes of season 1.
What do i think? Well i will let you know during my next jump.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Matbow » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:32 pm

If your BSG lingo is anything to go by I *reckon* I know what you think already! I'm waiting eagerly!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Monsoon » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:49 pm

Yeah your call on promoting it was for me an excellent one! I'm not sure if it's my favourite tv show yet but it could well turn out to be.
I love so much about it that i think it would be easier to say what i don't like, and that is only one thing in any case, the most popular gripe surrounding 'Starbuck'. Don't get me wrong i love her character and think she is a great actor but i wished they had called her something else like 'Nebula' or 'Gemini', and retired the name of 'Starbuck'. Although i suppose they decided to stick pretty religiously with the old series.
Oh and i miss the old brown suede jackets the pilots used to wear but i guess that was more of an '80's fashion.
As Mat said the actors are all superb and the storylines are very deep. I like the music or in some cases the lack of it, it's good that space can be quiet but with that ongoing beat during the battle sequences. And the camera shots are great aswell with the zooming in and out, and the flight scenes looking like they have been shot by several bystanders.
10 out 10 i say!
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby Phils_jd » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:39 pm

I think I have missed something happening in the World - Is the a new BattleStar series out or something - that used to be one of my most enjoyable pasttimes just watching it,
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Postby Bee » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:15 am

Speaking of Battlestar any Trekkies out there?
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:00 am

Phil - yeah its a new version.

Bee - yeah, I like star trek - not a major fan tho. Compared to BSG it's like a kids programme!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Bee » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:28 pm

Which Star Trek?

Orignal
TNG
DS9
Voyager
or Enterprise?
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:16 am

I've seen some "original", most of ds9 and TNG and all of Voyager and Enterprise. I actually really liked Enterprise, although have a feeling that was something to do with Jolene Blalock :D

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Bee » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:30 am

Matbow wrote:I actually really liked Enterprise, although have a feeling that was something to do with Jolene Blalock :D

Go figure... most guys that I know that were into Enterprise were also into her.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:11 pm

I enjoy all the Star Treks but the one i never really got into was DS9. I think Voyager is my favourite but uh oh it is for much the same reason as Mat liked Enterprise, just in my case it is Jeri Ryan (aka Seven of Nine) Image and i couldn't believe it when she turned up in The OC with Julie Cooper. Well i would have sat between them to make sure they didn't fight i can tell you!

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby Bee » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 pm

Lol! I think Voyager was better than DS9 as well. And every now and then there's an episode on TV. It's fun trying to remember if you have seen that episode or not.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:33 pm

Yes and it always comes as a pleasant surprise when an episode turns up that you missed the first time around. :)
I think my fav Voyager episode was with the appearance of a creature from the 3rd dimension which they named Species 492 (not the right number but something like that), and the programme had a very 'Alien'esque feel about it.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:59 pm

Going back to Battlestar Galactica it is great that Tricia Helfer is in the show, her character of 'six' is wonderful, being both powerful and ruthless but with a hugely emotional and vulnerable side to her nature. Image
The cameos with Baltar who is excellently acted out by James Callis are wonderful to watch.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:17 pm

Yeah I agree...and she only gets better. I like Callis too...even more so after I learned he went to the same Uni as me, albeit a few years before me! Boomer's also a greater character...but thinking about it, they all are.

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Phils_jd » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:50 pm

I'll have to o keep my eye open for the new BSG series.

Im with Moonsoon 7 of 9 was the only reason I watched Voyager.
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:10 pm

If anyone's interested:

Battlestar Galactica' spin-off confirmed

Thursday, April 27 2006, 16:52 BST - by James Welsh
Caprica, a spin-off from the smash hit cult series Battlestar Galactica, has been given the go-ahead by Sci Fi Channel in the US.

Battlestar Galactica executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick have signed on for the show, which will show life in the Twelve Colonies fifty years before the events of its parent show.

It will tell the story of the creation of the Cylons by following the lives of two families, the Graystones and the Adamas - the latter being the family of William Adama, the commander of Galactica.

"Caprica weaves corporate intrigue, techno-action and sexual politics into television's first science fiction family saga," said Sci Fi in a written statement.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds32131.html

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Monsoon » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:03 am

Yeah development of the 'toasters'! Let the good times roll :)

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:36 am

Yeah...I guess it's gonna be a while until we see it though.

Monsoon, have you got onto season 2 yet?

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Monsoon » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:02 pm

No not yet, i'm just getting to the final 2 parter for season 1!
In fact i was going to ask you if you reckon season 2 will be repeated before season 3 starts in the winter, although i think you will say no because i get the impression season 1 was never repeated. So i will probably have to wait for the DVD and do it that way again.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:12 pm

I dunno, don't remember seeing any repeats of S1 but that may be me not paying attention! I know the region 1 DVD of s2 is available if thats of any interest:

http://www.playusa.com/DVD/Region_1/3-/ ... oduct.html

I hated the wait between S1 and S2 - it was about a year IIRC, when I watched the first EP of S2 I couldn't actually remember what happened in the finale which was a bit annoying!

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Next

Return to Film & TV