St. George's Day...?

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

St. George's Day...?

Postby Nefer » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:35 pm

I have a question for our British members. Why is there so much debate over the celebration of this day? Didn't really know there was a great deal of feeling around it, till I read this over at the BBC. Seems a lot of people are ashamed to be patriotic...?

What do board members think?
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Monsoon » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:35 pm

Ah now this links straight back to our Political Correctness topic we had, St. George's day is challenged pretty much by the same people who want to cancel Christmas and Easter. I didn't read many of the comments on the link but it became obvious that the people who are so anti St.George are people who don't understand or don't want to and have adopted the wrong impression. It is true that the flag and concept of killing the dragon was adopted some time ago by far right extremists and i think this is what they are confusing normal English people celebrating the day with. It's certainly news to me that the average English person runs wild on this day!
I could debate here that i am not English because i am a Celt and come from the duchy of Cornwall which i am proud of, but i consider myself to be just as much English and i am proud of the cross of St.George, so should all people living in this country whether their origins are Viking, Norman, Roman, African, Celt or wherever.
What i'll also say is that if i ever emigrated to another county such as Canada, Australia or New Zealand, then i would respect all their traditions and adopt their flag as my own, because after all it would be my choice to be living in that country.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Nefer » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:17 am

Thanks for sharing your opinion :)

I kinda feel the same way, as it's not a religious holiday (IMO) but a day to celebrate a country's history. Some people are just bored and need something to chew on... sadly.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:49 pm

I haven't read the article yet, but my understanding of the situation is that there is a growing consensus amongst the English that we should celebrate St George's day in much the same way as the Irish celebrate St Patricks, the Welsh St Davids etc...The only problem with that is the historical reason for the popularity of these days for the Welsh, Scottish etc...is to show independance from England, not something the English have ever needed to do!

The basis of a "National day" is patriotism, unfortunately, a lot of this "support" is down to trying to get another days public holiday, not really to celebrate being English.

I'm proud to be English, I like most people show this be supporting the National sporting teams (especially football). If anyone ever says that the English aren't Patriotic they have never heard a rendition of "God Save the Queen" at a football match!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Monsoon » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:40 pm

Me already knows there will be at least one Cross of St.George on this forum in little over a months time! [b6]
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Return to General Discussion Forum