The Dark Of The Sun

Want to talk about any other Wilbur books?

How do you rate this book?

10 - Excellent
25%
9 out of 10
5%
8 out of 10
10%
7 out of 10
25%
6 out of 10
30%
5 or below - Very Poor
5%

Total votes : 20

The Dark Of The Sun

Postby John R » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:57 am

Ok, so out of nowhere realy, i've decided to read this book. I believe it was his follow up to When The Lion Feeds back in 1965. Has anyone read it yet? I'll be posting my opinions as i go along.
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby WSI » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:44 pm

for me not one of the best, so just a 6 (yes, WS wrote some more weak stories IMHO).

it was the book right after lion, so the third in this writung history
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Monsoon » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:49 pm

One of my early reads so it is hard to remember very much from the book. I do remember i enjoyed it during a lot of WS reading so i think an 8 is in order for me. Though i will say it's probably not one of those books that should be read too soon after one of the strong standing WS books.
Have seen the film aswell but it was made so long ago!
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Matbow » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:59 pm

7 from me...I actually only read this last month. Not his greatest, but still a good read. Easy reading and brilliantly funny in places.

I thought River God was going to be your next book John!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Monsoon » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:13 pm

I thought River God was going to be your next book John!

That's what i thought aswell! In fact i've been eagerly waiting to see what JR makes of the book, coz i've got this sneaking feeling.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Nefer » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:25 pm

Yeah John!! I'm waiting for your reader diaries very anxiously!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby John R » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:06 pm

lol sorry to disappoint! I was sure that RG was next on my list but then I went off on this strange Jeffery Archer phase :-k (read 'Honour Amoung Thieves', and then 'First Amoung Equals' which i really enjoyed!) and then I was wondering what next, and for some unknown reason, The Dark Of The Sun was calling out to me! Maybe it's because it's such a short book, and also because it's along the same lines as 'A Time To Die' - which i just love! :mrgreen:

River God is DEFINITELY next on my list! ....i hope :roll:
John R
Founder Member

Postby VMS » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:36 am

I did like the book, but when comparing to many other WS books it's not one of his best work. So just 7 from here.
VMS

Postby John R » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:00 pm

Just finished it, will give this one a 7. Slow in parts but brilliant in others. At times i found it similar to 'A Time To Die' (which is a good thing!) , it was certainly as savage.

The main character Bruce is possibly the most complex character Smith has ever created - judging from the 10 or so Wilbur books that i've read - and the brute of a man that is Wally Hendy is quite a sick son of a b**ch! The attack on Bruce's girlfriend left me feeling rotten, which tells me that at times this book is quite powerful.

overall, Enjoyable.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:07 pm

So...River God next then?!!?
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby John R » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:42 pm

Well I have kind of started reading The Burning Shore, mainly because i started it a while back and never finished it, so i'm determined to complete this book. maybe then river god.... :oops: :)
John R
Founder Member

Postby Jester » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:25 am

The Dark of the Sun and Cry Wolf are for me the two most disappointing WS books. I did Finish DotS but I gave up on Cry Wolf near the end. I feel that one of the great strengths of WS's writing is that the stories and characters can go on for several books. As such the stand alone books in general aren't as good.
Jester

Postby John R » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:19 pm

I would probably agree with you, wilbur's stand alone's are generally not as good as the series books - such as the Courtney's.

Perhaps with his stand alone books you don't get to know the character that well because wilbur doesn't have as much time to actually develop them the way he does in a series - for e.g. Birds of prey to Blue Horizon - here you get to know the character very well. Characters like Tom or Dorian Courtney are in Monsoon and Blue Horizon, so in a way it's like one big book! Or about 1400 pages if you will. Dark of the sun is only 200 odd pages, not much time to get to know Bruce Curry.
John R
Founder Member

Postby ARC » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:08 pm

Hmm...I`ve got a question about The Dark of The Sun and realy don`t known whom should I ask. Did anyone found out where are Port Reprieve and Msapa Junction? I mean...I know they shoulda be in Katanga (DRC) if only they are not fictional:) Well I was trying to find them on a map near the river Lufira, but none is there:( Perhaps it`s up to Mobutu (renamed several towns)... perhaps not. Anyway I would be thankful to someone who make it clear for me.
somebody,somebody help me please...(c) not mine
ARC

Postby John R » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:00 pm

I'm afraid i don't no sorry. Don't know if anyone else can help, but i think they would have replied by now if so
John R
Founder Member

The Dark Of The Sun/ The Train To Kigalli

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:26 pm

Early WS work about the white mercenaries in the Congo, considering the subject matter he didn't do much with it. Cardboard characters, lousy dialogue, not enough background. Still hollywood made it into the movie The Mercenaries, so WS made some money and to that we may owe the enjoyment we got out of his earlier and later books. 1 out of 10
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh

Postby John R » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:52 pm

1 out of 10 though? seems a bit harsh to me, still we all have our opinions. Def not one of his better books, but i thought it was good.
John R
Founder Member

Postby ARC » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:03 pm

It wouldn’t be much worse than Rocky 4(USA vs USSR?) perhaps. Just because a Rocky movie shouldn’t be a realistic, but only a funny one. The movie was more far from perfection in every detail about USSR than my English from James Aitchison’s.
So…if they will put enough money…some special effects…you know – that still could be funny too. You can change, I can change, everybody can change… That’s funny.
And of course, along the topic – it appears that I saw three movies motivated by WS books. The Mercenaries, Diamond hunters, Brutal (?) justice. The Mercenaries was the best of three, but all of them are fade shadows of the books. Did I say fade shadows? Not right. Sad mentions – what they are. The directors cut off much of stream. OK… They change the ways of action and relations between the characters. OK… But the characters, their actions are fading with very rare exclusion. Instead of bright furious cover corporation struggle for power – episode for fifteen seconds: two men are meeting in a street café. One is saying: I just trying to keep things working (nearly this). Another is smiling. That is it? And if want you want to know what (and why) is going on in movie you’d better read the book. That is why I call them sad mentions.
ARC

Postby John R » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:48 pm

sorry you lost me at "my English from James Aitchison’s" lol
John R
Founder Member

Postby ARC » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:28 am

That is quaint. The message(Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:03 am) is to be in topic about books that were made in to film. Here are my pardon for mistake and my thanks to anyone who’d fix that (because I can not do it myself). Now about James Aitchison from Napier university, the author of “English” – the very book I am studying the English. I mean he is proff in that, while my language skill is five by five. And even that difference is less, than all about USSR in Rocky movie from reality. However, that was funny to watch it in USSR and Brigitte Nielsen was …pretty.
somebody,somebody help me please...(c) not mine
ARC

Next

Return to Standalone Wilbur Smith books