New Members Introduce Yourself Here!

New member? Feel free to introduce yourself...

Postby damo42 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:40 am

Hello all WS fans... As may be expected, I am new to this forum and relieved to find it.

Just discovered WS in the last few months... Unbelievable to me actually as I have been reading a ridiculous amount for about 35 years. There are many of his I have not read at this point as they are surprisingly difficult to find where I work. (Chicago)

However, as an author he has me captivated completely and honestly I thought I had gone through this stage for the last time about 20 years ago.

At any rate, you'll be seeing me around and I look forward to your thoughts.
damo42

Postby Rivaan » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:59 am

Welcome, Damo. It's nice to see another enthusiastic WS fan here! Which series/book of his do you like the best? I think you can tell which series I like by my username (if you have read the books). I hope you enjoy your stay here like I have. See you around the boards!
Rivaan

Postby Nefer » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:30 pm

Welcome Damo!

It's always exciting to find a new author to obsess about - luckily WS still has many more books to write!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby damo42 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:21 pm

Thanks all for the warm greeting!

Meren... I'm all about the Egyptian series. Awesome and fun to read. To be fair, I haven't read either the Ballantine or Courtney series... yet. I reserve the right to change my mind. Doesn't quite make me wanna be a eunuch but improves their standing on my list of unreasonable modifications. If Rasfer was around... he and I would quarrel...

Nefer... I would be seriously interested in what other authors there are to obsess about. Last time I obsessed, it was when Stephen King wrote "Green Mile" in excerpt format of 7 issues. By the time it was done I had $40 wrapped up in 7 books that about 1/4 inch thick and was completely annoyed. So... being me, I posted a 2 page riposte on the Stephen King forum. My popularity became so intense that I had to change internet providers. The only homerun in my career and it was in the wrong venue. So, if you can enlighten me as to additional authors I will be endebted to you.
damo42

Postby Nefer » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:17 pm

Oh la, dangerous question to ask me!

I'll direct you to the Other Authors discussion - you'll see my handiwork there!

I see you're a fan of Jack Whyte - as am I :mrgreen: I've heard him speak a few times & he's captivating, as are his books! I'd also suggest Jean Auel, James Clavell, Diana Gabaldon, Margaret George, J. K. Rowling & Manda Scott. They're all historical novelists, of different time periods & topics, 'cept for Rowling, of course :D
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby damo42 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:35 pm

I've read all but Margaret George and Manda Scott. Actually, just finished Gabaldons new one recently. "A Breath of Snow and Ashes".

There is an author that I enjoyed, with qualifications... Phillip Pullman has a 3 book series out called: "His Dark Materials" The reason I phrased it that way is that he is Anti-God of any type, and his books reflect that completely. I believe he is unfair because he targets children, similar to J.K. Rowling. Personally, I have no children, but do have nieces, nephew's etc... And I think the parent should be able to raise their children according to their personal beliefs. Which does not include being blindsided by an author with a motive. So while he targets children with his books, he is doing a disservice to his readers. Rowling, just writes fun books. Pullman writes fun books as well, but is so obviously against religion that he annoyed me... a practicing ambivalent.
It was a topic that motivated me to contact him about his writing, and I did so in February, but did not receive a response.

http://www.philip-pullman.com/

Check it out and tell me I'm crazy. I'm certain that he believes I am.
damo42

Postby Bee » Mon May 01, 2006 10:57 am

Hey Damo!

Welcome to the Forum!
Bee
Founder Member

Postby damo42 » Sat May 06, 2006 10:53 am

Hi Bee...

Thanks for the Welcome!
damo42

Postby Bee » Sun May 07, 2006 8:30 pm

:D
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Kate4Tanus » Tue May 09, 2006 1:28 am

Welcome Damo! It'll be great to have you here!
'You were ever more than a tutor to me,' Memnon answered softly. 'You where the father I never knew.'
Kate4Tanus

Postby Bids » Fri May 12, 2006 7:42 am

Hi Guys,

Another Newbie here. Have posted a few times but thought i should come over and say gday to everyone. Just like to say this is a fantastic forum. Everyone is really helpful and it fun and interesting to hear your opininos on the books.

Id have to say im and extremely new Wilbur Smith fan. Im 22 and from Australia. Only started reading WS in July 05 (borrowed from the old man). Since ive finished all the Courtney books besides Birds of Prey (currently reading) Monsoon, Blue Horizon and Triumph of the Sun.

So yeah love checking out the forum and keep up all the good posting.

Cheers
Bids

Currently Reading: Sound of Thunder .......2nd time round

Postby Monsoon » Fri May 12, 2006 10:51 am

'Newbie' Bids ! Feels to me like you have already been here a while! :)
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Bids » Fri May 12, 2006 6:39 pm

Monsoon wrote:'Newbie' Bids ! Feels to me like you have already been here a while! :)

Haha, well ive been here for a week or two but still a newbie
Bids

Currently Reading: Sound of Thunder .......2nd time round

Postby i_heart_nefie » Sat May 13, 2006 2:26 am

gday to you too bids, you can never have too many Aussies on this forum. Hope you have fun!
"I would very much like to come hunting with you please...." - Little Mem
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Location: On board the 'Sprite' with the Courtneys, or QLD, AUS
Currently Reading: The Sunbird

Postby Bee » Sat May 13, 2006 1:33 pm

Welcome Bids!
Bee
Founder Member

Postby george burns » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:18 pm

hi evry1 im george im daft on wilbur smith books ive read 5 in the last 2 months ive read them all except 5 or 6 of the stand alone books reading wild justice at the minute . im worried about what im going to read when ive finished them all . can anyone make any suggestions . also does anyone know which of the books have been made into films :razz:
george burns

Postby Phils_jd » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:55 pm

Hi George, Check the menu at the front, its got recommendations of which books to read, in what order (various opinons) and one on books made into movies and serials. Enjoy yourself here - it great if treated as fun
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:23 pm

Welcome George!

Don't worry about a lack of reading - many of us have under-taken the thrilling re-read of WS books!

There is a list of movies/serials at the official WS site, here. Knock yourself out!

I've actually just recieved a copy of "Gold" from the library - based on "Goldmine" & flimed in the 70's. Didn't care for the book, but I'll reserve judgement on the movie!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Bee » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:51 pm

Hi George and welcome!
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Twoscoops » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:39 am

Hello all, nice to see a forum where my favourite writer is the subject. I started reading WS books after a South African colleague gave me the latest paperback of the time, Elephant Song. With hindsight it is by no means my favourite but fifteen years on I still think nobody comes close to gripping adventure fiction.

In about 1993 I was reading Eagle in the Sky on the London Underground early one morning. A gentleman with a suitcase, obviously travelling from Heathrow into central London, spotted my choice of book and came over to talk to me. He asked what I thought of the book, as it was quite different to most of the others. I said it was very enjoyable, but that I had only read a couple of others so didn't have too much to compare it with. A lot of people got on at the next stop and in true London underground fashion the conversation ended. After he got off the train, and having noted his southern African accent I looked at the picture on the back of my paperback. I'm still 99% certain it was the man himself.
Twoscoops

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions