The Quest - To be released April 6th 2007

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series.

The Quest - To be released April 6th 2007

Postby Matbow » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:51 pm

With the news that WS's latest book will be an Egyptain I thought I'de open a thread where we can speculate about the new book.

I have a feeling that the book will pre-date River God and it will be a first person just like RG.

THIS IS JUST A GUESS - I HAVE NO INSIDE INFO!
Last edited by Matbow on Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby John R » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:42 pm

I'm looking forward to it. I'm planning on starting the Egyptian series in time for when this new book comes out. Is River God the best place to start?
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Matbow » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:46 pm

Yeah, I think so. That's what WS says too...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby John R » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:23 pm

That's good enough for me!
John R
Founder Member

Postby Bee » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:09 pm

I would start with River God too! It's a good place to start...
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:09 pm

Yeah, I think you may be right Matt, about "The Quest" being set before RG, as this way we learn more about Taita.

But then again, since the title is about a journey, I think it may follow after 'Warlock' when Meren & Taita vanish off into the distance. Only reason I think this is because we kinda already know everything about Taita.

The only unknowns in the series are... well... erm... hmmm. Realised I almost gave away a plot line :o Well, if you've read the book you'll know what I mean!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

how to ask WS Questions?

Postby Amefika El-Amin » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:23 am

Hello again. Im just curious how to ask WS a question on his site. haven't figured it out yet. Could someone please let me know? Thank. Hotep!
The Story must be Told!
Amefika El-Amin

Postby John R » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:41 am

Hi Hotep. Basically all you got to do is go to his official site http://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/contact/index.html

and subscirbe. Once you've done that you can send him an email asking (almost) anything you like.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Kate4Tanus » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:57 am

I can't wait for the Quest to come out! I hope it is a sequel to Warlock, coz there isn't much else we need to know about Taita, before or after RG.
'You were ever more than a tutor to me,' Memnon answered softly. 'You where the father I never knew.'
Kate4Tanus

Postby Bee » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:09 am

To me I don't think it would matter if it was before or after. In my opinion both river god and warlock were awesome books!
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Rivaan » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:08 pm

Oh.. My.. GOD!! I am so happy I found this discussion board! Another Egyptian book is like a dream come true for me! I love Mr. Smith's books so much! His writing style is the best I have seen and I refuse to acknowledge any superior! >.< His stories are so beautiful and captivating. I hope he makes The Quest about Meren, although I just have a feeling it may be the prequel to RG.

Sorry.. Crazed fanboy rant over, lol. I only just finished RG today, which is why I am still all weird and hyper (I already read Warlock before it by accident).
Rivaan

Postby Nefer » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:18 pm

Haha, trust me, weird & hyper is my particular forte, so don't apologise!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Jester » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:37 pm

I was a bit disappointed to see that WS was going to write another Egyptian book. I loved River God and 7th Scroll (which I'm currently reading yet again) but I thought that Warlock was a let down in comparison.
Jester

Postby Nefer » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:12 pm

Yeah, I agree with you there, even though I am the resident "Egypt geek" on the Board!

It was really weak compared to RG. But then again, no book can compare to that glorius tale! :mrgreen: I think the reason I was dissappointed with it was because I was expecting another RG, instead of regarding the book on it's own merits.

Won't be making that mistake with "Quest"!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Bee » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:43 am

Hopefully you won't be... :D
Bee
Founder Member

Postby i_heart_nefie » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:14 am

Come on Nefer Warlock wasn't THAT bad....ok so there was no Tanus.....or Lostris....but it was still a good story and we also had the privilege of meeting some cool new characters such as Meren and my personal Warlock fave, Nefie! I just hope that the Quest is about Meren...I miss him
"I would very much like to come hunting with you please...." - Little Mem
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Location: On board the 'Sprite' with the Courtneys, or QLD, AUS
Currently Reading: The Sunbird

Postby Bee » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:06 pm

Acutally, I would like to see new characters and find out something else. Maybe WS won't continue the storyline. It'd be neat to have something completely different and then we wouldn't have to worry about expectations.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Cinamun » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:28 pm

That is true. We'll just have to wait and see. Anyone wanna take bets? :wink: Just kidding! :lol:

I honestly have no clue, and I'm not sure what to expect. I just hope it's centered in Egypt- I'm such an egypt fiend and I live for novels set in ancient egypt.

My all time fav. book set in egypt is "reflections in the nile" by J. Suzanne Frank b/c it has this very egyptian feel to it, and it has Hatshepsut in it. But character wise, I like WS characters better. (especially Nefer and Meren and Naja and Intef- gotta give the bad guys their credit, too!) WS's plots are good, too, but I always think they'd make a good action movie. Ya know, a good old sword and sandals flick, with some hottie playing Nefer, or Tanus. Ooh...just got a good question, must go and start a new thread now

Ooooh, random thought and getting back on topic- since Meren wandered off with Taita,and Taita is really old and stuff, Meren's like his apprentice. So what if Taita dies, and Meren's the next warlock? And he can go insane over the loss of Merykara and get all crazy and vengence-craving (ie, turns evil) and comes back to kill Nefer and his family? Eh...nevermind, that sounds a little far-fetched...but heh, who knows?
Cinamun

Postby Matbow » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:26 pm

Well, what do we think?

The Quest

Part of the 'Egyptian' series

To be published in hardback by PanMacmillan on 6 April 2007.

The eagerly awaited sequel to the thrilling Egyptian series. Following on from River God, The Seventh Scroll and Warlock, The Quest continues the story of the Warlock, Taita, wise in the lore of the ancient gods and a master of magic and the supernatural.

Egypt is struck by a series of terrible plagues that cripple the kingdom, and then the ultimate disaster follows. The Nile fails. The waters that nourish and sustain the land dry up.

Something catastrophic is taking place in the distant and totally unexplored depths of Africa, from where the mighty river springs. In desperation the Pharoah sends for Taita, the only man who might be able to win through to the source of the Nile and discover the cause of all their woes.

None of them can have any idea of what a terrible enemy lies in ambush for the Warlock in those mysterious lands at the end of their world...

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:50 pm

Yeah am not sure what to say.

Taita's a bit past his prime... I'm assuming there'll be a strapping young lad & willing lass to do his bidding. :D Not sure what/who the terrible enemy will be. Has to be powerful if it/they is stoping the Nile from flooding! Or maybe he's taking a page from "LOST" and has a stupid smoke monster as a bad guy :lol:

Am trying to not anticipate too much in case I don't get what I wanted - !
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Next

Return to The Egyptians