What book are you reading at the moment?

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Postby Matbow » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:36 pm

I'm still reading Gai Jin which I got out of the library over a month ago now - and I'm not even half way through it! It's not a bad book, but nothing has really happened yet so I'm finding it hard to get engrossed. I'm also really busy which isn't helping :(
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Bee » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:16 am

I just started reading "Three Weeks in Paris" by Barbara Taylor Bradford. So far the Prologue is quite interesting (all 1 and 1/2 pages of it).

I just finished reading Riders by Jilly Cooper. Interesting book, but it just takes way too long to read! To many people and too many things going on at once. I found it to be a book that took a while to get back into as soon as you put it down and that you needed to totally zone in and block the rest of the world out. The story line was okay, a bit predictable however. However, it is, in my opinion, the best Jilly Cooper book out of the 2 and 1/2 books that I have read.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Bee » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:58 pm

Okay... so I finished that one long ago - a bit predictable.

Also finished: The Devil wears Prada - my opinion the movie is better.

and also finished: The sisterhood of the travelling pants (the 1st book). It's a fast and easy read and not badly written.

Just started "A Falcon Flies" by WS (doing a re-read) and hoping to get that done before school starts.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:53 pm

Well, after over 2 months of reading (and a £2.88 library fine) I eventually finished Gai-Gin. It was OK....bit slow but I still enjoyed it! I'm onto Noble House (also by Clavell) now...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Casedata » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:04 pm

I am reading "The Painted House" by John Grishom. It is kinda nostalgic for me so far. My father raised tomatoes when I was little and we used to hire migrant workers to pick the tomatoes. So far so good....It's not WS but...oh well.....not all authors can be WS. :)
Casedata

Postby falcon5096 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:21 pm

Hiya all,

just to pass on, before I started my present Courtney oddessy, I completed a full end to end reading of Otherland by Tad Williams.
All four volumes.

if anyone is intrigued by "The Matrix" then give this a try, it really is easier to follow than Keanus saga.

Also, by coincidence, much of this is also set in S.Africa.

aaaaanyhoo bye for now.............
falcon5096

Postby John R » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:39 am

That sounds quite interesting to me actually, and with the added bonus of it being set in S.Africa!
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Matbow » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:47 am

Me too. Might have to pop into the library :)

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby WSI » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:55 am

T.C. Boyle, Watermusic (light and sweet)
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:21 am

Have just finished Rage so gonna take a little break from WS and read Bret Easton Ellis 'American Psycho! Have read this one a while ago, has anyone else read it?
John R
Founder Member

Postby John R » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:37 am

Finished with American Psycho, what a great book, really funny in parts but also quite disturbing in others. Real witty and intelligent, a great satire on 1980's New York. Anyone else read it? It's a lot better than the film, but i also quite like the film.

Now gonna read When The Crow Flies, by J.Archer
John R
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:12 am

Just finished this one. Not sure just how much of these books is written by the author but his input is invaluable. There is no glory in these books just a gritty realism. Things more often than not go wrong for the lead character and when they do you can almost feel what he is going through, the last time he got beaten up by a group of heavies i could almost taste the iron in the blood.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby John R » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:13 pm

Never actually read Andy McNab. Sounds quite good though. Will make a note to read one of his books. Any suggestions where to start?
John R
Founder Member

Postby Bee » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:01 pm

Voice of the Heart - by Barbara Taylor Bradford

Yes, I'm re-reading this one for the third time...
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Nichiren » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:59 am

mcnab is ok but i hate his distorted version of bravo two zero. its a killer
Nichiren

Postby John R » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:26 am

What does Bravo to Zero describe? Gulf war or something like that? Not sure if it would be my kind of thing
John R
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:13 pm

John R wrote:What does Bravo to Zero describe? Gulf war or something like that? Not sure if it would be my kind of thing

Bravo Two Zero was the name of the SAS troop that got caught up behind enemy lines during the first gulf war. McNab and Chris Ryan who is also now well known as an author and from tv appearances were two survivors from that group and both went on to recount what happened to them in that escapade. Most of which is true story but some a little fabricated (had to be to give the books a little more appeal.)
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby John R » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:24 am

Right, thanks for explaining. Maybe one day i'll give it a bash but not just now! Got the Ballantyne series to get through
John R
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:05 am

Currently reading 'Siege', third book in the Memory, sorrow and thorn series by Tad Williams. Only another 1600 pages to go before i complete the series!

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby Nichiren » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:51 am

currently exceedingly drunk and reading the communist doctrine by karl marx as i have many a time and chucking at the ridiculous implications portrayed.... god damn canadian club... over and out
Nichiren

PreviousNext

Return to Other Authors