New Members Introduce Yourself Here!

New member? Feel free to introduce yourself...

Postby John R » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:30 am

oh my god what a great story! i hope it's true....99% is pretty conclusive so it must have been!

welcome to the forum!
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Matbow » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:34 pm

Hey twoscoops,

Great story - sounds like Wilbur loves talking to random people about books; he met Mokhinso (his wife) in a book shop whilst directing her to his books!

Twoscoops of what? Icecream?! ;)

Matt
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:35 pm

Welcome Twoscoops (of vanilla I hope :mrgreen:)

That's an amazing story you have! Thanks for sharing it and enjoy your stay :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Bee » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:19 pm

Hi Twoscoops! That's an amazing story... now I know to be aware when someone asks me what I think of any book I'm reading... :D
Bee
Founder Member

Postby ed » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:20 pm

Well here I go. My first WS book was" HUNGRY AS THE SEA" I fell in love with that book, so did my first wife. In fact when we got divorced the only thing we fought over was that book. Since then I have bought every WS book. I find each book has a mood or a feelin to it, Some of WS books I can read at any time others I have to be in a certain mood. My personal fav. is "SUNBIRD," Next is" THE BURNING SHORE" When I read one of WS books I get wisked into special place,I feel his ability to tell a story so real to me I feel like I'm there
ed

Postby Matbow » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:21 pm

Howdy ed!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:39 pm

Hi Ed!!!

I feel the same way about "River God: :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Bee » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:21 pm

Welcome here Ed!
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:36 pm

Hey Ed, I guess its for those very same reasons of yours that so many on here desire to visit Africa. :)
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Greetings.

Postby Intef » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:56 am

I am Lord Intef, Lostris’ father. The wealthiest man in the Upper Kingdom after Pharaoh himself, and growing richer every year. My titles granted to me by the king include Guardian of the Royal Tombs, the Support of Egypt, Pharaoh’s Companion, Nomarch of Karnak and Lord of the Necropolis. I am governor of all 22 nomes of Upper Egypt. I have eight wives, brought by substantial dowry or influential political connections, but only three children – Lostris, and two sons, Menset and Sobek. My palace is at Karnak. I am outrageously handsome, with long limbs and a flat, hard belly, and a leonine head. Crafty and devious, I am able to conceal my feelings for those around me. I have the patience of a crocodile, waiting years for the right opportunity to strike at my enemy. I prefer young boys to women and haven’t visited the harem for fifteen years. Always harsh with those who fail me, I'm at my most dangerous when my tone is mild and my smile silky. I loathe Tanus and his family.
Intef

Postby Monsoon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:44 am

I prefer young boys to women and haven’t visited the harem for fifteen years.

I'm not so sure Intef is as smart as you make out! :)
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Intef » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:04 am

Monsoon wrote:
I prefer young boys to women and haven’t visited the harem for fifteen years.

I'm not so sure Intef is as smart as you make out! :)

When in Rome... ;)
Intef

Re: Greetings.

Postby Matbow » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:20 pm

I didn't realise Australia (NSW?)had been discovered back in the Egyptian era!:wink:

So, Intef what's your favourite WS book?

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby John R » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:05 pm

welcome to the forum Lord
John R
Founder Member

Re: Greetings.

Postby Intef » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:30 pm

Matbow wrote:I didn't realise Australia (NSW?)had been discovered back in the Egyptian era!:wink:

So, Intef what's your favourite WS book?

Close. Queensland! My favourite book of all time is River God. I liked Seventh Scroll, disliked Warlock initially but am greatly anticipating The Quest. After Warlock, it can only get better! The biggest problem I had with Warlock is River God, to large degree, was based in reality while Warlock went in a completely supernatural direction. I realise The Quest is more of the same but it won't be so much of a shock this time around!

-Nathan
Intef

Postby Nefer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:54 pm

Well that made me laugh! :lol:

Welcome Intef! (Strangely enough not my favourite fictional man :lol:)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby J » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:11 am

Jake, Aus
I got into WS after reading WTLF for English class. Loved the two sequals but my school library had nothing in the series from Burning Shore onward. Got River God for christmas once which lead me to read the egypt series. I wanted to read each series in order so I picked up Hungry as the Sea while waiting for others to turn up, I never would have thought salvaging could be so exciting - loved every bit of it.
I wish I could have stayed in highschool, reading them all because my library had an awesome view over sydney harbour.

I have a feeling I am going to enjoy this forum!
see ya~
J

Postby Nefer » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:16 am

Hey Jake! Your English teacher must've been something, getting his class to read WS!

Welcome to the Board!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby John R » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:32 pm

yeah i'd say! wish my english teacher had got us reading Wilbur instead of Shakespeare bla bla bla
John R
Founder Member

Postby Ada » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:11 am

First of all: Thank you Matt for creating this site. Like many of your members I found it via the link from WS's official site. I have been reading WS for many years & have collected all his paperbacks. I would have loved to have had them in hardback but I have a storage problem - reading is only one of my interests.
I have a husband, 2 daughters & a sky blue opaline spangle budgerigar named Merlin & we live in Melbourne, Australia. (Yes, another Aussie!) WS must be very popular here as I've always found his books easy to obtain - new or second hand. Despite his having visited a few times, I haven't gone to a book signing as I think they're only for hardback buyers. WS is a great one for detailed descriptions & this is possibly why some people don't like his novels. However, I think it is because of those descriptions that you can easily 'escape' to Africa. As a result, like many of you, I too want to go there.
I plan onreviewing his books on this Forum after I reread them. It has been a while since I read them all so I'm about due to start again. I'm still reading TTotS & will review under 'The Courtney' section. I hope this forum keeps going for a few years as I won't be reading all 30 books in a row. I like WS's stories but reading any author too often can cause an overdose. Book worms know what I mean.
Why did I choose to join this Forum? Besides the obvious - a WS fan; I like many of the topics posted & most (dare I say 'all') of you have good senses of humour which to me is a prerequisite in any personality.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions