What is attractive (in the opposite sex)?!

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Postby Matbow » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:48 pm

This doesn't really fit in this thread, but doesn't warrant a new one either. Take a look at this:

http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/ho ... ion_v2.swf
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby John R » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:10 pm

Bloody hell, what a difference make-up can make!
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Phils_jd » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:38 pm

I wonder if they can do that to me
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:39 pm

Make-up can make a HUGE difference... too bad I can't walk around photo-shoped...

Thanks Matt :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Bee » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:00 pm

Thanks for that! I watched a movie recently and it had a portion of computer-editing that models undergo. Makes you really think about diets and all the self-esteem issues young women have now-a-days.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby i_heart_nefie » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:52 am

that's insane, as a photoshop addict i know how easy it is to make the skin look better on people but that is crazy
"I would very much like to come hunting with you please...." - Little Mem
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Location: On board the 'Sprite' with the Courtneys, or QLD, AUS
Currently Reading: The Sunbird

Postby Bee » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:51 pm

It's crazy. Just add a little bit here, take away that, and boom you "become" perfect. It's absolutely horrid.

Anyone seen any of the Dove commercials? I think they're trying to clean up the airwaves with having un-photoshopped models in it.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:26 pm

Bee wrote:Anyone seen any of the Dove commercials? I think they're trying to clean up the airwaves with having un-photoshopped models in it.

Not sure if you realised, but that video is actually made by "Dove"...so yeah, they're definately trying to combat this sorta thing. Good for them, altho I reckon there's a commercial side to it too ;)

Also, from a male point of view it just shows how "unlucky" us men are that it's not deemed acceptable to wear makeup! If women have spots/dark rings under their eyes then can hide them with make-up...we can't!

Matt
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Bee » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:50 pm

Matbow wrote:Also, from a male point of view it just shows how "unlucky" us men are that it's not deemed acceptable to wear makeup! If women have spots/dark rings under their eyes then can hide them with make-up...we can't!

I'm glad you posted, Matt. And this goes out the male population in general. Do you think being bombarded by "photoshopped" models/females in media that it effects what you look for in a woman?

I know this is a deep question, but I think it's important to discuss it.

:)
Bee
Founder Member

Postby John R » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:49 am

Matbow wrote:Also, from a male point of view it just shows how "unlucky" us men are that it's not deemed acceptable to wear makeup! If women have spots/dark rings under their eyes then can hide them with make-up...we can't!

Matt

Hey i'm with you on that one! As for your "deep" question bee, i wouldn't say it affects what i look for in a woman. I never actually 'fancy' a model, they don't look human! I think models affect girls more than guys
John R
Founder Member

Postby Bee » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:50 am

John R wrote:

Matt

Hey i'm with you on that one! As for your "deep" question bee, i wouldn't say it affects what i look for in a woman. I never actually 'fancy' a model, they don't look human! I think models affect girls more than guys

I know... but what I'm going for is what is the first thing you look for in a girl? That she's pretty? A certain size? Really think about it...

And that goes vice versa for the girls on this forum... what do you look for in a guy... well built? good looking?

I don't think it only applies to women but it affects men as well.

By the way, if men want to use make-up go for it! But what's holding you back, is it what other men will think or is it what women will think?
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:11 pm

So maybe this did deserve its own thread then...

For me, I go for the holistic approach...body, face, hair and also their body language. If they're slightly "lacking" in one area then the others can pull her "score" up. (I'll try to find some examples)

Having said all that, I place an equal amount of value on personality and intelligence. Looks can only get you so far...if you can't hold up a conversation and amuse me you're not in with a chance!

Oh, and you can get make-up specifically for guys btw:
http://www.shave.com/store/docs/xcd_or. ... nAAADfSW1k

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Matbow » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Super sexy face:

but the body of a 13 year old:

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby John R » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:05 pm

God why did you have to say body of a 13 year old! I used to like miss Knightly but you put me right off now lol

The 1st thing i look for in a girl is looks,( face and body) but surely everyone else is the same because at that point you don't know what they are like as a person, so you got nothing else to go on.

I wouldn't really like to wear make-up but if i did, i'd probably get beat up!
John R
Founder Member

Postby Bee » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:22 pm

I guess it is the first thing people see. But would you ever get to know someone who you think isn't, at first, physically attractive?
Bee
Founder Member

Postby John R » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:16 pm

Yeah sure, and then maybe the personality would win through. Although to be honest, at first i wouldn't put much effort in compared to if i was talking to someone who i thought was stunning.

This convo could lead to someone having the forum's 1st ever negative points lol
John R
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:08 am

Air brushing is like wonder bras, turns into a bit of a let down for us guys!
But i imagine it is so much worse for the woman, it must be very embarrasing to portray yourself as something you are not. especially in front of that potential special guy.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Matbow » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:41 pm

Bee wrote:But would you ever get to know someone who you think isn't, at first, physically attractive?

"Get to know someone" - by that do you mean date, or simply just be friends with? I have lots of female friends (mainly those at work) who aren't attractive...that doesn't mean I'm not going to be friends with them! Date - probably not, "something" needs to be there from the start otherwise I think it's pointless.

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:17 pm

It's always hard to see beyond what is tangible. The same goes for trying to judge a person's personality and character the 1st time you meet them.

I'm horribly shy around people I don't know, and that could also be a turn off. Because of this, I guess I try and give everyone a chance when I'm getting to know them.

It's hard sometimes, because good-looking people usually know it and are generally more charismatic and charming, and it's easy to get spun into their web. It's harder to pay attention to someone who doesn't think they're terribly interesting, and sadly, one's perception of self is tied into how we project to others around us.

I think that's why, in general, that 'spark' is linked to physical beauty.

Feel free to negative point me :razz:
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Bee » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:03 pm

I liked how mentioned "spark" Nefer. What exactly is the "spark"? Any definitions, experiences?

All you ever hear is butterflies and so forth... but I don't think I quite believe in those butterflies... anyone had them?
Bee
Founder Member

Next

Return to General Discussion Forum