Please post suggestions here

Forum and Website Announcements.

Please post suggestions here

Postby Matbow » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:08 pm

As this forum is getting more popular I thought it would be a good idea to see if anyone has any suggestions as to where we should aim to go in the future.

Do other author forums have any features that would work here? Do you think a new forum/category would be good? Should we have a whole Wilbur Smith website with the forum being only a part of it?

Please let me know if you think of anything - there's no time limit! You can either post a reply on this thread or PM me with any ideas.

Thanks!

Matt
Last edited by Matbow on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby John R » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:09 pm

A lot of other forums have just general chat which doesn't just involve books but absolutely anything you can think of from sport to music to personal stuff. Might get more threads started and more people on-line here, you never know. Also a selection of Wilbur interviews and quotes and reviews all collected together for easy access.

I'll keep thinking of more ideas. Anything to help as i would like to see this site become more popular
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Monsoon » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:58 pm

I was presuming we used Randomness for General chat.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Matbow » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:32 pm

yeah, as 'im up there /\ said, that's what "randomness" is for, altho if you can think of another more appropriate name for it then I'll change it.

Like the review, interview section tho - I`ll get onto it.
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby John R » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:04 pm

oh yeah, i now see what you mean with the 'Randomness' section. As for the interview/review section, i have found a good source to rare Wilbur interviews, i go to google and search images of Wilbur, and then when you click on the image, you go to a page that sometimes will contain info on him. Have found another long interview using this method, which i will post later for those who would like to read it.

John
John R
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:10 pm

cool...I'm installing the new forum now and I'll move over the interview threads to there.
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby John R » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:42 pm

I noticed that you've written a review of Triumph of the sun, and i am going to write a review of the Sunbird once i have a chance. So i was just wondering if you think there's any point in opening a new section just for people's book reviews? Or we could put them in 'the library' or just leave them where they are. ...just a suggestion.

John
John R
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:10 pm

You could keep Sunbird in others John, it needs a little filling out in any case.
Wondered if you guys were thinking of putting spoiler warnings up in the subject box, particularly with the new book.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Matbow » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:54 pm

Yeah, for the time being I think reviews should be posted in the section where they fit best - maybe when we get a few more we can put them into a separate bit.

I'm in 2 minds about the spoiler warning, half of me thinks that if you don't want to be spoiled then avoid a review, but then I know people like to read reviews to see whether they should read a book or not.

Personally, I try to avoid giving away the plot of the book I'm reviewing, but ineveitably things will slip through. I thought I'de kept my review spoiler free - if thats not the case then I really didnt give anything major away :)

I guess its down to author descretion, if you write a review that has spoiler in then definately post it in the title. If it's a general review then don't bother.

What do other ppl think?
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:41 pm

Spoiler warnings never hurt, right? I agree, some plot lines may slip out... I've given away many a punch line when trying to get someone to read a book I like... And then ruined it for them... hehe.

So yeah, put up the warnings, and then no-one can complain about spoilers in reviews.

Even if the spoiler is a small detail to the reviewer, it could be a big deal to the reader. (I'm like that, try not to watch too many movie trailers, and I hardly ever read the review summaries on book jackets if they're longer than 3 sentences.)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby John R » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:14 pm

I agree i think spoiler warnings would be a good idea.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:56 am

Cool...it's settled then :)

Whilst brushing my teeth I had an idea that maybe we should grade the level of spoilers in a review?

NS - No spoliers
SS - Some Spoilers
MS - Major spoilers

Just a thought!
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby John R » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:19 pm

Yeah that could work. Other forums just have 'spoiler' and nothing more. But that could be a good idea. See what others think
John R
Founder Member

Postby Bee » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:51 pm

It would work the whole NS, SS, MS thing but it might just get too confusing for new people to the site. They would probably be like "what's this?"
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Phils_jd » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:02 pm

I tend to agree with Bee - if you read a spoiler about any book by the time you get around to reading the book you have forgotten it anyway.
I dont mind advertising spoilers though I will try not to create a situation where I need to.
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Postby Bee » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:26 am

Yeah, i've already avoided the forums that have "spoiler" attached... but it's good to have it in the name! Thanks guys!
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:56 pm

Yeah, i think the coded thing might be a bit too complicated but Im definately thinking that varying spoiler warnings are a good idea. I`ll leave it up to individual discretion.
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby John R » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:08 am

I have a suggestion. Not sure if its easy to do but how about making more emoticons available. There's not much of a selection at the moment. Could bring in new ones like other forums have, one example would be a thumbs up (or down) sign.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:29 am

:gib: :-({|= \:D/ [b7] [b9] [b6] [b30] :iPod: ð [ying] [b11]
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:29 pm

[hamster]

My fav so far!

Good idea JohnRook!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Next

Return to Forum Announcements