Initial thoughts and Questions about the Quest... [Merged]

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series.

Postby i_heart_nefie » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:01 am

thats what i thought too! because its a pretty big "coincidence" that it had her name in it. I hope that is right
"I would very much like to come hunting with you please...." - Little Mem
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Location: On board the 'Sprite' with the Courtneys, or QLD, AUS
Currently Reading: The Sunbird

Postby Kate4Tanus » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:23 am

Omg that's what I thought too!!!
'You were ever more than a tutor to me,' Memnon answered softly. 'You where the father I never knew.'
Kate4Tanus

Postby Bee » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:58 pm

Meren wrote:Back to the topic, I think it's a rather coincidental occurence that the mountain Nefer tries to get his God Bird from in Warlock is called Bir Umm Masara. Maybe that's where she is buried.

That's interesting! Thanks for pointing that out!
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Kate4Tanus » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:32 am

Smart Ideas everyone! If we put our heads together maybe we can figure it out!
'You were ever more than a tutor to me,' Memnon answered softly. 'You where the father I never knew.'
Kate4Tanus

Postby i_heart_nefie » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:40 am

i reckon, i wonder, if it is true, why ws didnt refer to it as the place where she was buried? just once?
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Postby Kate4Tanus » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:45 am

That is true. You would think that he would say something since she was such a good friend to Taita- and also Nefer's Dad's wife
Kate4Tanus

Postby i_heart_nefie » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:47 am

one would think...
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Postby Kate4Tanus » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:05 am

Just a thought
Kate4Tanus

Postby i_heart_nefie » Wed May 03, 2006 2:11 am

hey, can anyone remember how many brothers/sisters mintaka had?
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Postby Rivaan » Wed May 03, 2006 2:27 am

I'm pretty sure she had a little brother called Khyan, and 5 or 6 other brothers.
Rivaan

Postby Kate4Tanus » Wed May 03, 2006 2:31 am

I remember there was a Ruga
Kate4Tanus

Postby i_heart_nefie » Sat May 06, 2006 1:41 am

yeah i remember khyan, but i cant remember how many others there were.....i shall need to look it up...
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Seventh Scroll

Postby Cataline » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:07 am

Hello, new to the forum here. I do have a question I wish I could ask Wilbur. This is a continuity 'cop' question that contains a spoiler for 7th Scroll, so don't read further if you haven't read the book...

************SPOILER***************

[spoiler]The main characters Royan & Nicholas in 7th Scroll were supposed to have read, studied, and nearly memorized the complete manuscript contained in 'River God'. Why then, did they not know of the false chamber, when Taita was so descriptive of it in the scrolls. I know there were a couple of other discrepancies in there as well, stuff they should have known from the scroll, but didn't. Of course, I read the second book right after the first, so I noticed it right away. I guess Wilbur's proofreaders didn't do this, or they should have done so.
[/spoiler]
Has anyone ever addressed this before?

Thanks. :)
Cataline

Postby Nefer » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:54 pm

Hiya Cataline!

First things first, and welcome to the army!!

Next, our wonderful webmaster has added a handy-dandy spoiler function which blacks out the script unless you want to read it. Hope you don't mind, but I've edited your post and added the spoiler.

As for your question, I don't know! From what I remember of the books, I don't recall there being a very explicit explanation of the false chambers. But you have, so I'd have to say that maybe WS doesn't read his own books - so he might've forgotten!

Anyone else have any thoughts on the discrepancies?
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Spoiler

Postby Cataline » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:21 pm

Thanks Nefer!

That spoiler function is great! and Thanks for the welcome!

Cataline :D
Cataline

Postby binnsy05 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:01 pm

I don't think The Quest will be a prequel to Warlock or River God because Taita was already a warlock in River God as he could work the mazes of Ammon-Ra and he grew up as a slave so I don't think he will be going on any quests whilst in slavery
binnsy05

Postby Matbow » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:04 pm

Hi binnsy, you may have missed the thread but WS has confirmed the plot for the Quest already:

The Quest continues the story of the Warlock, Taita, wise in the lore of the ancient gods and a master of magic and the supernatural.

Egypt is struck by a series of terrible plagues that cripple the kingdom, and then the ultimate disaster follows. The Nile fails. The waters that nourish and sustain the land dry up.

Something catastrophic is taking place in the distant and totally unexplored depths of Africa, from where the mighty river springs. In desperation the Pharoah sends for Taita, the only man who might be able to win through to the source of the Nile and discover the cause of all their woes.

None of them can have any idea of what a terrible enemy lies in ambush for the Warlock in those mysterious lands at the end of their world...

So, yeah you're right!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Cov Copper » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:07 pm

What does everyone think of Ws' decision to delve into the realms of the supernatural all of a sudden?
My dad doesn't like it as he is a die hard fan of the real old stuff, but I am new to the game and I quite like this new sort of fantasy style.
I wonder how far he will take it?
I mean, Taita is getting on a bit now, how many more Egyptian novels with him in it can there be?
In Wilbur we must trust to find ways to keep Taita with us.
Cov Copper

Postby Matbow » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:30 pm

I know where your dad is coming from. WS has always written about mythology, but moving "into the realms of the supernatural", as you so aptly put it, does require somewhat of a suspension of reality. I'm not sure if fantasy really has a place in a historical fiction book.

To be honest, before I read Warlock I didn't really believe Taita had any special powers - I just thought he was just completely stoned when doing the "Mazes"! Obviously this changed in Warlock (or did it?!)

M
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:49 pm

I've found many books have a 'fantasy' aspect to them, even though they're historical novels.

It's probably because magic & power were real issues that people had to deal with. We're a more skeptical society now, but back then there was no questioning the power of the gods and those who weilded similar powers.

I find it very natural that WS has included magic in Taita's repertoire of 'things he can do'.

Does it go overboard? Totally. Do we suspend belief when reading historical novels? Absolutely. No-one can say with any certainty that she/he really knew what happened all that time ago, so they make it up.

And as for the "Mazes" - he probably was stoned :lol: Thing is, these kinds of drugs were the province of holy men, (or warlocks haha) who knew how to 'use' them to open their inner eyes to the spirit world. I wrote a paper in my 1st yr of anthropology courses which centered on cave painting and what they might mean. The research focused on San people, who have many similar cave arts to prehistoric man. The authors concluded that many of the 'symbols' on walls were due, in part, to the hallucinogenic effects of the drugs. I certainly won't argue with the fact that some of these people believe they are in contact with other powers, and that they can use these for good or evil.

WS may also be intrigued with the fact that many best selling books these days are fanstasy books. Not that he needs to follow the mainstream to assure book sales!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

PreviousNext

Return to The Egyptians