Games Consoles

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Games Consoles

Postby Matbow » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:39 am

Anyone here planning on getting a Nintendo Wei/PS3/XBOX360 for Christmas (or any other reason!)??

I think the Wei sounds awesome, but I have doubts over the games, I don't do XBOX's and the PS3 isn't released in Europe until March (and even then it's going to be really expensive). I think I'll hang on a while and see which one comes out on top - I'm thinking that's going to be the PS3.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby John R » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:54 am

I've not been into video games for a while now but lately i have had the urge to buy one. I'm thinking of going for the PS2 though...even though it's really old, still think it's worth it. however, My mate has the XBOX360 and he says it's better than the ps2, a lot better...maybe i'll go for the 360 this christmas i'm not sure.

Not heard anything bout the Nintendo but i will definitely not bother buying it, the last console i got was the gamecube, and it was rubbish...no decent games to play!
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Nefer » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:25 pm

Go for the PS3. It will rock your world... at least that's what I hear from my brother.

The technology in the Wii is similar (or the same, I'll have to check) to what's used in the PS3.

It's too bad you guys have to wait so long for it - I think it's released here next week. Expensive - but imagine the possibilities!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby John R » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:13 pm

yeah it sucks havin to wait ages for stuff when you get it early over in the US. esp with films
John R
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:55 pm

I used to feel that way when we were in Botswana, trust me, I feel your pain! The good thing about getting the PS3 late is that if there are any problems, they will be fixed before Europe gets it's load. Thats what happened with the XBox360 - the things were overheating after about an hour's play, and then they would crash.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Nichiren » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:39 am

mmm wi is more interactive than the microsoft and sony alternatives but then in my opinion nintendo has always been the most creative player in the gaming/interaction world. still my old satin silver slimline ps2 looks good and does the job for now. perhaps if i had more time i would consider an upgrade but sadly... that aint gonna be happening :wink:
Nichiren

Postby Bee » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:49 pm

Personally, I'm excited about the Wii. It's supposed to be amazing. Plus I think the first game with it is Zelda.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby John R » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:01 pm

All this interactive stuff is nuts. I remember the good old days of Sonic the Hedgehog, 2D on the Mega Drive! Best ever! :mrgreen:
John R
Founder Member

Postby Nichiren » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:12 am

hey i have the full version of that on my mobile phone so all is not lost. and yes the good old days is right :wink: good stuff
Nichiren

Postby John R » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:36 pm

on your phone? how cool is that!
John R
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:40 pm

I had the full Sonic game embedded in an excel spreadsheet...great for Friday afternoons at work!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Monsoon » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:51 am

Anybody want to tell me what is wrong with xbox(s), i've always had PS1 or 2 but i love first person shooters and the xbox seems to be the home of that particular genre these days which has got me thinking 360 rather than PS3.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby John R » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:54 pm

My friend has the xbox 360 and he says it's way better than ps2, which surprised me really.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:36 am

There's a game coming from PS3 called Assasins - its based in like 12th century Jerusalem. It's super cool b/c you are the assasin, and you can actually interact with the crowd to get the job done, or if you do something like climb a wall, on-lookers make noise & scare away your target, or once you've shot the dude, the crowd panics & impedes your escape, etc.

I've seen game-play for it (courtesy my geek bro!) and it looks awesome - all the effects are super real.

Can you tell I'm a PS3 fan? It's super-duper awesome (& this is coming from a non-gamer!)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Yakumo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:59 pm

I cannot understand why people buy Xbox, PS or whatever.

PC's can play infinitely better games and are much more practical for other stuff, or is it me that's getting old?
Yakumo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:50 pm

Im not sure a PC is as good for out and out gaming. Also, you would have to keep updating your PC every time a new game comes out so it could be quite expensive. Having said that, i have always used my PC for games which i got hooked on more than anything a console produced. Such games as Civilisation and Championship manager
John R
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:11 pm

Monsoon wrote:Anybody want to tell me what is wrong with xbox(s), i've always had PS1 or 2 but i love first person shooters and the xbox seems to be the home of that particular genre these days which has got me thinking 360 rather than PS3.

Yeah the XBOX does seem to be the home of the shooters...I always used to be a fan of them on the PC (Max Payne, Doom and Half Life/CounterStrike) when I had a decent PC, but I can't get used to not using the mouse and the "WASD" controls - it's just not as accurate and intuitive!

Having said that, there are certain games that really wouldn't work on a PC due to the controls...Pro Evolution for example.

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Games Consoles

Postby Rivaan » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:36 am

Ooh a games discussion, my favourite! :D You'll have to excuse me as I go off on one, I can really lose myself in videogames.

Matbow wrote:Anyone here planning on getting a Nintendo Wei/PS3/XBOX360 for Christmas (or any other reason!)??

I think the Wei sounds awesome, but I have doubts over the games, I don't do XBOX's and the PS3 isn't released in Europe until March (and even then it's going to be really expensive). I think I'll hang on a while and see which one comes out on top - I'm thinking that's going to be the PS3.

I'll be getting a Wii in one month. I have researched all the future consoles and that's the one I want first. I will be getting all 3 in the end though. I have spoken to a few friends in America who have Wiis and they LOVE them, with a capital L-O-V- and E :lol: I asked one about how precise the aiming with the controller is, and he said it's good, except for a few instances where it can get a little frustrating (keeping a steady hand when aiming the bow in Zelda).

Nefer wrote:The technology in the Wii is similar (or the same, I'll have to check) to what's used in the PS3.

Nintendo's Wii will have the worst out of the 3 when it comes to technology, graphics, etc. PS3 will have the best, with Xbox 360 not too far behind it.

Bee wrote:Personally, I'm excited about the Wii. It's supposed to be amazing. Plus I think the first game with it is Zelda.

Yep, I plan to get Zelda with my Wii :) But the Wii already comes with a free game that I'm also looking forward to: Wii Sports (which consists of tennis, baseball, bowling, boxing, and golf). As well as this, I plan to get Excite Truck (a racing game) as well as a controller grip shaped like a steering wheel, so I can hold it properly for that game.

John R wrote:All this interactive stuff is nuts. I remember the good old days of Sonic the Hedgehog, 2D on the Mega Drive! Best ever! :mrgreen:

This is also one reason why I want the Wii! Along with future titles, you get a whole back catalogue of downloadable past titles from the NES, SNES, TurboGrafx-16, Megadrive, and N64 :D They cost money though (Wii points that you can buy at a game store). I think that NES is 500WP, TG-16 is 600WP, SNES is 800WP, N64 is 1000WP, and I think Megadrive is 800WP too. I hope they put Breath of Fire for the SNES on sale.. :) To play some of these games, you can buy a "classic controller" which resembles the controller of the SNES.

John R wrote:My friend has the xbox 360 and he says it's way better than ps2, which surprised me really.

All 3 consoles are better than their predecessors, although Wii's graphics processor is only marginally better than the Gamecube's. This isnt that bad though, because the Gamecube has never been used to it's full potential. With the small-capacity discs it had, developers couldn't go all out like they now can with the Wii.

Nefer wrote:There's a game coming from PS3 called Assasins - its based in like 12th century Jerusalem. It's super cool b/c you are the assasin, and you can actually interact with the crowd to get the job done, or if you do something like climb a wall, on-lookers make noise & scare away your target, or once you've shot the dude, the crowd panics & impedes your escape, etc.

I've seen game-play for it (courtesy my geek bro!) and it looks awesome - all the effects are super real.

Can you tell I'm a PS3 fan? It's super-duper awesome (& this is coming from a non-gamer!)

Assassin's Creed is coming out for both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 :) This game alone made me want to get a PS3. Since PS3 has twice as good graphics as the 360, I am still wanting to get this game on the PS3, even after finding out about the game's upcoming 360 release. The PS3 will be getting the next Metal Gear Solid (4), the next Devil May Cry (4), and the next Final Fantasies (3 parts of FF13).

And finally, comparing PC gaming to that on consoles.. The PC will win when it comes to first-person-shooters. This is thanks to the precision of the mouse. However, like Mat said, when it comes to sports and platform games, the control scheme is different and you can't get the same precision out of a keyboard and mouse as you can out of a 360 degree thumbstick, to move your character. That's what I think anyway.

I'm sorry about the length of this post! Please don't take me as a know-it-all :oops: I am just really passionate about games, and want to reply to some of the previous posts but wasn't able to come on for a while to see them.
Rivaan

Postby Nefer » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:58 pm

I like passionate posts, so don't apologise!!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby John R » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:43 am

wow, yeah i enjoyed reading that! You really do love videogames hey! :D
John R
Founder Member

Next

Return to General Discussion Forum