[Spoilers] The Diamond Hunters - a diary.

Want to talk about any other Wilbur books?

Rate Diamond Hunters

10 - Excellent
25%
25%
No votes
No votes
No votes
38%
No votes
13%
No votes
1 - Poor
No votes

Total votes : 8

[Spoilers] The Diamond Hunters - a diary.

Postby Matbow » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:25 am

Ok, so now I've finished my exams :lol: I can start having some fun :D (in between going to work :x ). As well as drinking copious amounts of alcohol I`ll be spending a bit more time on here and writing a few more reviews. The first of which will be "The Diamond Hunters".

Whilst I was writing the review of Triumph, I kept on having to go back to check details etc...So, I thought that instead of writing one article, I'de write it in parts so that I can accurately capture my thoughts at that point in time. This might be a really stupid idea, but here goes:

My first thoughts
Nice quick paced start, the plot seems to have promise. Characters seem quite unique, interesting and complex. I already dislike Benedict. I've already got a few ideas how the books going to pan out, I hope I'm not correct.
Last edited by Matbow on Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby John R » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:22 pm

Very nice idea! Will look forward to your diary review. I have some old reviews of Wilbur books that i've written on Amazon, so i will post them on this board, but with future books i might do what you are doing now. Sounds good.
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Matbow » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:32 pm

Ok, so my idea of posting a diary review didnt quite work as I've finished it without making any more posts.

Thankfully, my predictions didnt occur, but that's the only good thing about this book. The plot and characters lack depth and the book ends rather strangely. It had promise, but it just fizzled away. I actually read this book in less than 3 hours, unfortunately it also feels like thats how long WS took to write it. I'm glad I didn't waste any more time.

Definately my least favourite WS book by a long way.
Last edited by Matbow on Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby John R » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:06 am

I would have to agree, off all the WS books i've read, i found 'The Diamond Hunters' to be the worst, quite easily. By his high standards its a let down.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Yakumo » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:54 pm

You shock me.

From what you have told me nothing but the sun shines out of WS backside.

How can it be, that now you are letting the world know, that all that is Wilbur is not Golden #-o .
Yakumo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Monsoon » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:17 am

I gave it a 3 based on the books of WS
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby WSI » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:33 am

That's a surprise that u "dislike" the Diamond Hunters, too. For me it is the worst book he ever wrote. The characters are rather low and primitive, the plot is stupid and the end is more than strange. It's like station lecture (John, u know what I mean). :dead hobo:

[b7] Oh jesus, from where do alle these smilies come?! It's so colored.

Oh no, there is not allway everything golden at Wilbur ... [aberaber]
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:43 pm

I agree with you WSI [b6] 'The Diamond Hunters' could be passed off as a 'station book' :bio: Its just not his normal standard. Even so i have it a 5 since i have compared it not just to his other books but every book i've read, from anyone. If i was only comparing it to his books alone, then the mark would be lower.
John R
Founder Member

Postby WSI » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:57 pm

I'm glad to that we are - though WS fans - still able to criticise [skepti]
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:40 pm

Its good that we can criticise, but its not often i do such a thing in Wilbur's case i must admit. Most of us here would be the same i expect.
John R
Founder Member

Postby WSI » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:03 am

JohnRook wrote:Its good that we can criticise, but its not often i do such a thing in Wilbur's case i must admit. Most of us here would be the same i expect.

right. In my case, I got more critical when other people read his novels and matched some points they didn't like. Nontheless I won't say a lot bad things on Wilbur. [b4]
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Penitent » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:37 pm

I think "Diamond Hunters" is the prelude of great things to come.

This novel was written over 30 years ago. It is not as polished as his newer books but it contains all the elements that make Smith one of the masters of action and adventure. Exotic locale, unforgettable characters and a prose that takes you `there'.

Needless to say I liked it.
Last edited by Penitent on Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Matbow » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:17 pm

According to the official WS site, tomorrows "Mail on Sunday" has a free DVD of the Diamond Hunters with it:

http://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/home/index.html
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Monsoon » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:55 am

Matbow wrote:According to the official WS site, tomorrows "Mail on Sunday" has a free DVD of the Diamond Hunters with it:

http://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/home/index.html

I just had a feel of the paper but didn't buy it (tight me), saw tubular bells inside but i'm guessing we have to send off for the 'diamond hunters'. If anyone finds it is inside the paper let me know.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby delby » Tue May 01, 2007 11:37 am

Well Ive given this a nine after the second reading . I wasnt well enamoured after the first read but this time I read it slowly .

Did anyone else think the old man may have known that Johnny would win? he seemed to hate the fact that was better than his own son at everything but he practically disowned both of his children when they didnt come up to his expectations and he seemed to be testing Johnny from a young age maybe his Legacy was a test to see who should Inherit his empire?
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby Penitent » Tue May 01, 2007 12:44 pm

One of the earliest novels. I think this one and "Gold Mine" are great reads to get acquainted with Wilbur
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Return to Standalone Wilbur Smith books