A new word. Forkan

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

A new word. Forkan

Postby Yakumo » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:49 pm

I am trying to create a new word or group of words for the English Language.

Recently in the office we have been introduced to the second name of a bloke in one of the companies we deal with, this being Forkan.

I caused huge jocularity in the office when one day I uttered the fateful words "What the Forkan hell is going on". This seemed to me a good way of expressing my frustration at an issue and much more less vulgar than the real F word. The intonation was important in the saying of the phrase.

Other usage has taken place with words like

Unforkanable - unbelievable
Forkanicity - The act of being able to use the Forkan word in varied ways.
Forkan off - Go away

After this event we found the name of another bloke who had also provided some very naff information one day.

His name Bastian Muelhaus. I kid you not.

So now this phrase has been renowned for anything that is a large error.

This has often been shortened to just "What a Bastian"

Bastian again with specific intonation can sound very similar to another vulgar word that ryhmes with barsteward.

Now I have tried to get this on the Wiki dictionary but for some reason it gets deleted. Anyone got any ideas why and also how I can promote these words in everyday language.
Yakumo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:02 pm

go to the video store and watch an old Michael Keaton movie called Johnny Dangerously you fargin icehole gad dan bastach
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh

Postby Nefer » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:42 pm

:lol:

I'm going to start saying Forkan; as a future educator of Canadian youth I can't exactly say the word we're all thinking when I make a mistake in front of the students!!! Can't help you with the wiki thing though, sorry.

fargin icehole gad dan bastach :lol:
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Re: A new word. Forkan

Postby Rivaan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:46 pm

Yakumo wrote:Now I have tried to get this on the Wiki dictionary but for some reason it gets deleted. Anyone got any ideas why and also how I can promote these words in everyday language.

How about Urban Dictionary?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom, and the unknown.
Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To bow before the one
is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the unknown, but never to the unknowable.
The man who bows in that final direction is either a saint or a fool. I have no use for either.
- Yama, Lord of Light
Rivaan

Postby Matbow » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:22 am

I use random words all the time and they do tend to come into my common vocabularly quite consistently, but not those of other people! IMHO, the use of similar sounding words for expletives will only ever catch on in your own peer group; most people will still prefer to use the actual word! Of course if you're famous or on TV then that's another matter ("Frack" for example)

I reckon the best bet would be to use random words for other things, like calling a PC monitor a "arkelduner".

I have the random habit of giving people strange nicknames too - I've got FiFi Trixabelle sat next to me and Casserole behind! Unfortunately I also decided to call an auditor called Darren Elton, "Darren Elton-John" - not realising he was sat about a metre away from me at the time!

Link to the wiki page that gets deleted?!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Yakumo » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:33 am

I sure don't like the Urban Dictionary Defn for Forkan.

Although it does almost seem appropriate given the F nature of the word.
Yakumo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Rivaan » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:44 am

Whoa, I didn't even know Urban Dictionary had that meaning for the word! :shock: I just meant that maybe you could submit the word to UD and if people can come across it, they can read your meaning for it. But now, I don't think that's such a good idea.. :lol:

My advice to try to get it to catch on is to just use it, when around friends. If you use it around them when out an about, others might hear it and adopt it too.
The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom, and the unknown.
Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To bow before the one
is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the unknown, but never to the unknowable.
The man who bows in that final direction is either a saint or a fool. I have no use for either.
- Yama, Lord of Light
Rivaan

Return to General Discussion Forum