What Defines Art?

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

What Defines Art?

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:32 pm

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but how do YOU define what is art? Is it that which is beautiful? Evocative? Realistic? Please state your definition or preference and why.
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh

Postby Nefer » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:36 pm

Art is whatever sings to your soul, and puts a smile in your heart.

Pair of shoes, cute t-shirt, coat, painting, sculpture, whatever.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Rivaan » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:00 pm

I believe that art is something that moves you. That's not to say that everything that moves you is art. But to qualify as art, in my eyes, an object has to move you.

It can move you in any number of ways. An example would be the picture I am using in my avatar here (just to the left). When I saw the full pic, I didn't think much of it except it looked nice. Then once I realised what the picture was depicting (nothing sexual), I was shocked quite a fair bit. After the initial emotion of shock, I was left in awe and admiring the skills of the creator. I don't know if I can post that picture here though, or even a link to it. It's not sexual, but may be considered distasteful or just shocking.
The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom, and the unknown.
Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To bow before the one
is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the unknown, but never to the unknowable.
The man who bows in that final direction is either a saint or a fool. I have no use for either.
- Yama, Lord of Light
Rivaan

Postby Yakumo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:27 am

Art was a subject at school that only a select few could master, and often that select few were clearly not artists!

Art surely is the creation of something that is percieved by all to be something that affects an emotion in the individual that is viewing it. As described above this could be one of many emotions, shock, revulsion, joy, happiness et al.
Yakumo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Matbow » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:00 am

Rivaan wrote:I believe that art is something that moves you. That's not to say that everything that moves you is art. But to qualify as art, in my eyes, an object has to move you.

QFT
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Penitent » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:11 pm

Art is something that makes our lives richer. Art reminds us of the greatness of man and brings civilizations together even in times of turmoil. Art makes me realize that there are things bigger than me and encourage me to try harder and reach further. It goes from Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel in The Vatican to what my wife cooked for dinner last night. Art is that, and everything in between that affects us in a positive way.

OK, it has been a long day, let me get off my soapbox now…
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:15 pm

I agree whole heartedly, Art is that which moves you, however NOT in a negative way.
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:51 pm

Okay folks,
we have put a little imput about what is Art, and I have let this thread lie dormant for a while...
Now tell me what is NOT art.
I think that this will be tougher if you are not honest with yourself because the defenders of art will accept ANYTHING as art,
I have seen truly great art and I have seen that which is nonsense (read Shit) peddled off as art.
Jackson Pollack flinging paint in anger is NOT that much different than a chimpanzee flinging his own shit.
Andy Warhol and P.T. Barnum both believed that there is a sucker born every minute because Warhol sold straight up dreck.
The National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C. has a wing dedicated to single color 12 foot by 12 foot canvases where they have been hanging for 20+ years.
Where art is concerned society pressures us to accept anything called art as such but...
Do any of you have the nerve to say that the emperor is naked?
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby delby » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:03 pm

Thanks for that silva it really made me giggle.

I was once asked my opinion my dear friends partners final exam piece,I didnt want to give offence so i stood pondering it for while. imagine that shade you get when you mix all colours of paint , plastered over a canvas on which was stuck a hoover pipe and other junk in the shape of a tadpole, it was meant to represent procreation.I was about to make some banal encouraging remark when my then three year old son kicked the said piece and said" did someone do that at nursery school its not very good." :D

I didnt know whether to laugh or cry but now they ask his opinion and not mine.
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:51 pm

:lol: "from the mouths of babes." :lol:
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member