New films out this Winter

Postby Bee » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:53 pm

I just saw Nefer's list of seeing Black Diamond. I don't know why but when I see the commericals/ads for that movie it reminds me of WS Courtney series with Centaine and Sasha... And I keep wondering what book it's based on... Anyone else see the resemblance?
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:22 pm

I never thought about that! Then again I've been avoiding movie trailers, so I don't really know the plot of the movie.

What I do know is that it's based in Sierra Leone, Leo d. C. plays a South African, accent is questionable at this point as I saw a 30sec clip on those hollywood trash show... and the mining dudes in Botswana are not happy with the portrayal of the industry, and right before the bif spending month too! They're worried people will stop buying diamonds. Sounds silly to me but apparently it's a real worry. I can't find the article now, but I saw it on the BBC last month.

I'll keep the Courtney connection in mind when I watch it! Dunno if the movie is based on a book, though.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby John R » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:32 pm

Bee you've just got me interested in that film! Think i may go see it now!
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:50 pm

It is being marketed as Blood Diamond in the U.S. and I agree it looks just like a Sean Courtney (Col.) story.
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh

Postby Bee » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:59 pm

It does! It makes me want to go and see it... make sure someone reviews it if they do!
Bee
Founder Member

Blood Diamond

Postby Nefer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:00 pm

tadh23:
I have not seen the movie yet. It seems to deal with many of the things in WS books, SA, Diamonds, Love etc. If anyone has seen it does it follow a similar vein? worth seeing?
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Connors » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:24 am

Son of the Silver Fox wrote:It is being marketed as Blood Diamond in the U.S. and I agree it looks just like a Sean Courtney (Col.) story.

Thats exactly the same person I was thinking about when I watched it.
DiCaprio's character Daniel Archer is very much like Col. Sean Courtney.
- Both born in Africa, Archer in Rhodesia
- Both served in SADF, Courtney as Ballantyne Scouts
- Both(?) became mercenaries, can't remember if Sean actually became a merc though
- One difference is that Archer is a diamond smuggler and Sean is a big game hunter

In both movie and book, there is a white man and a black man hking across the African landscape. Sean and Job = Archer and Solomon.

Raid on diamond fields in Blood Diamond is very similar to Ballantyne Scouts' raid on guerilla base where Sean and General China first meet.

The Hind is also featured in Blood Diamond and it attacks and looks chillingly similar to the way Smith describes it in A Time To Die. (It gives graphical reason as to why the Renamo are so fearful of it)

Even right down to Wilbur Smith's detail of Sean smearing mud on his white skin because it shines is featured in Blood Diamond where DiCaprio covers his face and arms with mud in order to infiltrate a guerilla base. But this last one might just be my imagination.
Connors

Postby Bee » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:12 pm

Thanks for the post! I really want to go and see it now! If it's still in theatres... if not well I'll be renting it! :D
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:08 pm

Pete posted:
Anyone who saw Blood Diamond will have spotted that a main character, Danny Archer (Leonardo DiCaprio) came from Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe).

My book "Scatterlings of Africa" is set during the Rhodesian Bush War of the 1970s and although it's a novel it should provide an authentic background – I fought in that war. Matt gave it a good review on the "Other Authors" page on this website.

I cut my teeth on Wilbur Smith novels and am still a great fan. Pete http://www.peterdaviesbooks.com
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby John R » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:46 am

I can't wait to see this film now. my father has seen it, 2 days ago and said it was good but Leonardo DiCaprio was not cut out for the tough guy part. He's not believable as a raw, hard killer.
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Matbow » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:32 pm

If there are any fans of the cheesy musical type films here (High School Musical, Grease etc...) then if you haven't already, I've got to recommend you guys try watching a Bollywood film.

I watched "Dhoom 2" at the cinema today and really enjoyed it! Cheesy as hell, totally unbelievable and really long - but an experience! If you're put off by the subtitles and the films being in Hindi don't be - you get used to the subtitles quickly and a good portion of the dialogue and lyrics are actually in English (in Dhoom 2 at least).

Give it a try!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:27 pm

You're inviting people to their doom, don't do it!!!!

Bollywood movies are too overdone!

:lol:

The new movies are really terrible, the older movies are much better. If you want to watch a really good movie, Matt, watch Umrao Jaan. I saw it last year and was in tears - its based on a book written by a famous Indian author (who I've never read). You'll appreciate Bollywood A LOT more if you watch this movie!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Bee » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:18 pm

Went to go see Partition last night (no worries there will be no spoilers in this post).

It was an okay/good movie. Besides me recognizing some places where they filmed.

Kristen Kreuk is a pretty good actress and the movie is not at all what I expected. You try to predict what's going to happen and then all of a sudden (kind of like a WS novel) there are a few twists in it.

Other than that, I would maybe recommend it being a movie to rent and watch at home.
Bee
Founder Member

Blood Diamond

Postby Nefer » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:59 pm

I watched it last night, and I will bet anything that the guy/gal who wrote the script is a die-hard WS fan!

There were so many Smith-isms in the movie, most of what Leo's character said is something we'd except Sean Courtney Jnr to say. & I kept thinking man Leo makes a good Sean Courtney! He did a splendid job with his role, totally believable.

The movie was like a WS novel, but I'd say better, because we haven't read it and we can't complain about the movie not being true to the book. It was so powerful and raw, when it ended I kinda felt like how I felt when I read ATtD for the 1st time.

The closing scenes for both characters was beautifully done - this movie is up there with Babel, IMO.

We should all go watch it.
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:55 pm

Is any one planning on seeing 300? It looks absolutely awesome!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:36 pm

Holy Crap!!!

Thanks for the heads up! I saw a trailer for TMNT and that got me excited, this is WAAY better!

Am off to get the book from the library, forget helping students at lunch, I'm gonna try get through this book before it opens!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Rivaan » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:13 am

I just saw Ghost Rider, yesterday.. I know a lot of people probably won't like it, but I always have a soft spot for comic book adaptations! I liked Ghost Rider, for the most part :)

I've never even heard of 300! I'll look it up later today.
Rivaan

Postby Penitent » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:33 pm

300 opens Friday in the US. They will also show it on IMAX theaters so it may be a good spectacle. Based on the trailers it looks a little cartoonist, most of it appears to be computer generated. My nephews are going tonight, so I will wait for their opinion…
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Matbow » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:07 pm

Yeah, I'd be interested to hear what they thought - a couple of reviews seem to think it looks a little bit too much like a computer game. I think it's going to be one of those films you either love or hate...

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Monsoon » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:54 pm

Is this a re-make of the Spartans then?
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV