Gold Mine

Want to talk about any other Wilbur books?

Rate Gold Mine

10 - Excellent
22%
No votes
11%
44%
22%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 9

Gold Mine

Postby Penitent » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:08 pm

I just finished “Gold Mine” considered one of the “minor” WS efforts. I liked it, it has all the elements we have learn to love and we expect in his novels. I thought the description on how gold mines work very entertaining and informative. I loved the descriptions of the different types of characters that live on a gold field. On the negative I can’t help to think that there was material here for a much longer book.
Last edited by Penitent on Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby delby » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:35 pm

I found this Difficult to get into but once I did I couldnt put it down it gets a nine from me anyway

sorry i meant a seven as ive just remembered the ending really let me down,
Last edited by delby on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby Monsoon » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:41 am

I can hardly remember the book nowadays, and part of the problem is that i have seen the film a couple of times since and that is what now sticks in my memory.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Re: Gold Mine

Postby Matbow » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:32 pm

I was at my parents house for Christmas I found this book in my Dad's collection...seeing as though it was one of the last WS books I still had to read I "stole" it!I

I finished it today and I was all set to rate this as an 8, but I agree with Delby's comment; the ending let it down. There was noting wrong with it, but it just felt too rushed and I would have liked a bit more explanation as to how everything was resolved.

I really liked that fact that Wilbur paid homage to When the Lion Feeds, with his reference to the pictures of the founders of the CRC - Norman Hradsky, Dufford Charleywood and Sean Courtney.

One of the better standalones and a solid 7 out of 10 from me.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby tonypark » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:43 am

I reckon Gold Mine's one of his best standalones.

It's classic early Wilbur, when men were men and women were mine owners' disenchanted wives waiting to be swept off their feet.

Dark of the sun is one of my other faves.
tonypark

Postby Nathan » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:46 pm

I finished reading Gold Mine today. I found it a thoroughly entertaining and gripping little story and the relatively short length compared to other WS novels keep things moving at a good pace. Not quite the ending I was expecting either, a few ends that still needed to be tied up, but a truly worthwhile read nonetheless. My favourite scene has to be the climax with Big King and Rod, who happen to be my favourite characters also, along with the Delange brothers. I will definitely be reading this again.

10/10 from me and now it's onto The Sunbird!
Nathan

Return to Standalone Wilbur Smith books