Music we're embarrassed to admit we like...

Postby Nefer » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:12 pm

Oh :lol: Well then... am suitably busted!

I've heard the track, out of curiosity (the dixie chicks one). Its not something I would listen to usually, and musically, its not that brilliant, IMHO. But, I do admire them for speaking their minds in the land of the free.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

F*CK The Dixie Chicks

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:31 pm

whilst USA and UK troops invaded Iraq the chicks made a comment about being ashamed that Bush was from Texas...massive backlash in the USA - hate mail/death threats and all the works. This track is their way of defending freedom of speech and being pissed off with how they were treated...[/quote]

Where to begin?...

Did you have any friends, family or loved ones killed on September 11th?
Was your nation attacked?
Was your city attacked?
Have YOU ever had YOUR balls on the line?
Are any of your friends or family in the war right now?

Freedom Of Speach is a privilage paid for with soldiers blood.

Once I asked a Vietnam Vet how he could keep from beating the crap out of hippies who called him and his brother veterans "baby killers" and worse when he returned to the U.S.A. He said something I will never forget "I may not have liked what they were saying, but me and my brothers were fighting and dying for their right to say it."think about that for a minute.

In my country we have a culture of celebrity worship. Unfortunately just because you have gained the publics' attention does not raise your I.Q. nor has popularity made you an expert on anything. In fact we have many famous dimwits who think that their celebrity entitles them to spout off with their missguided and uninformed opinions.
"Any publicity is good publicity" may have gone through Natalie Maines' gray matter but not much else did. In fact The Chicks have been described in their native state as "The Country version of Menudo" because they turn over their members for younger and prettier talent. Natalie Maines is the daughter of Lloyd Maines. She grew up sheltered and privilaged, he also provided her with the music industry contacts so that she didn't have to work her way up the industry ladder, This hardly qualifies her as an expert in anything as she is also lacking a secondary education. She exercised her Freedom of Speech and now she should deal with the fall out.

If you want to try a country song that tells how most Americans feel, try Toby Keith's "American Soldier" or "Courtesy Of The Red White And Blue" or Darryl Worleys "Have You Forgotten?" try giving that last one a listen.
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh

Postby ellyattc » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:34 am

Genesis!

I've loved this band since I was born and I was ecstatic to hear they are doing a reunion tour this year!

Chris
Fan of Genesis and Wilbur Smith!
ellyattc

Postby delby » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:28 pm

Sorry what Music.. embarrassed... not possible.
O.K. I kind of get what you mean but I refuse to be embarrassed by somrthing which makes me feel good and I like some of the cheesiest shit going. We all have different tastes and lets face it if we all were the same the world would be a pretty dull place . I read some where that music is food for the soul and If thats so I eat anything and everything and my tastebuds are non existent ... no really I have no standards .
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby John R » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:50 pm

i have always rather like the irish band, the Corrs! Started of mainly as a crush on the lead singer! but then i also got into their music. not exactly cool but there u go. :)
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Penitent » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:53 pm

The Corrs are awesome! I saw them live once and they sound great in an arena.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:56 pm

cool i'd like to see them live! they got loads of great songs. and i'd like to meet the singer!
:shock:

John R
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:08 pm

John R wrote:...i'd like to meet the singer!

agreed :mrgreen:
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Monsoon » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:27 pm

It was the other one i had a crush on!..and i don't mean the bloke :roll:
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby John R » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:29 pm

haha! if u hadn't have added that last comment i would have posted a picture of him! Guess that was too predictable :evil:
John R
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:47 pm

John R wrote:haha! if u hadn't have added that last comment i would have posted a picture of him! Guess that was too predictable :evil:

Yeah because i knew you would be around somewhere you little Devil!!
Well you could at least put up a piccy of my one!
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby John R » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:12 pm

ok you've twisted my arm! [b6]

tell me it's this one? the Violin lass, sorry to inform you, she's been frozen in ice judging by this pic!

What a family though! i take my hat off to the parents!
John R
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:43 pm

I love The Corrs!!

Why is it embarrassing to like them? :( I missed their tour here 2 summers ago - was very upset.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby John R » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:33 am

Don't know really, when i used to tell my friends back in college, they didn't exactly think it was cool. But then they were mostly into their heavy rock stuff.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Egyptian Eyes » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:03 am

I liked the spice girls and the backstreet boys. :oops: And i liked Mmmbop of Hanson, as well as some songs of m2m. Scary!
Sometimes, we get through adversity only by imagining what the world might be like if our dreams should ever come true.
~Arthur Golden, 'Memoirs of a Geisha'
Egyptian Eyes

Postby i_heart_nefie » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:51 am

The Spice Girls were so great, I watched An Audience with The Spice Girls the other day and I remember how much I loved them :) :)
"I would very much like to come hunting with you please...." - Little Mem
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Location: On board the 'Sprite' with the Courtneys, or QLD, AUS
Currently Reading: The Sunbird

Postby Ramon » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:00 am

When I was a teen I used to listen to Guns ´n´ Roses, Metallica, Iron Maiden etc. I still love it, but as a "responsible" father to two girls, I seldom get the chance to pump up the volume and headbang.
I have however found something called "lounge metal". There's a Swedish group called "Hellsongs" that are making covers of heavy metal songs, and playing them really slow and soft.

You can listen to some of their songs at:
http://www.myspace.com/hellsongs

Maybe I'm a little embarrassed liking this...
Ramon
Member+
Member+

Postby Nefer » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:53 pm

I've heard of this music! Have you heard Richard Cheese? :lol: The DJ's at the rock station I listen love playing him to annoy the listeners!

I have to admit (?) to appreciating some of Justin Timber(freak)lake's stuff. Something about it... not that I'd buy the cd... haha.
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby i_heart_nefie » Fri May 04, 2007 4:12 am

haha "Justin Timber(freak)lake" I love it Nefer!!! I guess that his new music is ok. It's not my favourite but it is alright :)
"I would very much like to come hunting with you please...." - Little Mem
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Location: On board the 'Sprite' with the Courtneys, or QLD, AUS
Currently Reading: The Sunbird

Postby Rivaan » Fri May 04, 2007 6:58 am

I have been recently getting back into 70s disco and funk 8) I'm even learning to dance to it. :oops:
Rivaan

PreviousNext

Return to Music