In Wilbur Smith's Words

The place to post published WS articles, interviews etc..

In Wilbur Smith's Words

Postby Ada » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:58 am

Just found these sites today. I hadn't seen an interview with him for a long time & couldn't remember what he sounded like. A lot of the interviewers on this thread describe his accent as South African. I disagree, it only slightly sounds like them and has more of a British sound to it.

1st one is WS speaking briefly about Blue Horizon:

http://www.meettheauthor.com/bookbites/48.html

2nd one is WS speaking again briefly but about The Triumph of the Sun

http://www.meettheauthor.com/bookbites/637.html
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby Ada » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:40 pm

I found another Audio interview. I tried to find it on the UK publishers site but couldn't locate it - not even sure it's there despite the interview being from UK.

The interview was conducted after The Triumph of the Sun but prior to The Quest which isn't mentioned. There are NO SPOILERS for any of his books.

"4)" on the list discusses the gaps between his books - will he write the connectors? I know this little snippet will interest a lot of Forum Members as there has been quite a lot of dicussion about this.

http://www.panmacmillan.com.au/author_interviews.asp and scroll down to Wilbur Smith.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:37 am

hey thanks for that ada. this is brilliant. Number 4 inparticular! It looks good that he will indeed fill in the Courtney gap! "That is the plan if i should live long enough!"

Note that talking about the lion feeds, Wilbur mentions that he "sold the film rights"?
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Ada » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:28 pm

Yep, he's got big plans for a 74 year old. I can't help comparing Taita and Fenn with Wilbur and Mokhiniso. He corrected one of the main criticisms about The Triumph of the Sun i.e. it had a 'rushed' finish. The Quest had an excellent finish. My only problem with The Quest was the editing - things that should have been picked up could have easily been fixed but weren't. However overall The Quest was brilliant and if that's the calibre we can expect for his next book then bring it on :D .

Re the Film Rights. I'm not a legal eagle but I think film rights have time limits and vaguely remember reading Sylvester Stallone (spelling) bought some of them. He's not getting any younger either so it's all a race against time.
Last edited by Ada on Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:48 pm

Fenn?

I've listened to half the interviews - thanks so much for digging these up! I'll save the rest for a rainy day :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:14 am

Nefer wrote:Fenn?

New character in The Quest...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Penitent » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:59 am

Yes, Silvester Stallone has been in the works with the idea to take WS to the screen for years, but nothing is happening. I like him, but I don’t know if he is a fix for the books…

Ada, you are right, film rights have time limits, once that you buy one you have certain amount of time to make the movie, otherwise the rights revert to the author.

And for the next book, I sire would like to see what happens after “Blue Horizon” and how it all connects with “When the Lion Feeds”
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:54 am

Penitent wrote:And for the next book, I sure would like to see what happens after “Blue Horizon” and how it all connects with “When the Lion Feeds”

Damn right!
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Re: In Wilbur Smith's Words

Postby Matbow » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:50 pm

Ada wrote:A lot of the interviewers on this thread describe his accent as South African. I disagree, it only slightly sounds like them and has more of a British sound to it.

To an English person, WS's accent most definitely doesn't sound British, but it's not going to sound South African either as he isn't South African...it's a Rhodesian accent :)
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Sylvester OLD?

Postby mahound » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:58 am

Ada wrote:Yep, he's got big plans for a 74 year old. I can't help comparing Taita and Fenn with Wilbur and Mokhiniso. He corrected one of the main criticisms about The Triumph of the Sun i.e. it had a 'rushed' finish. The Quest had an excellent finish. My only problem with The Quest was the editing - things that should have been picked up could have easily been fixed but weren't. However overall The Quest was brilliant and if that's the calibre we can expect for his next book then bring it on :D .

Re the Film Rights. I'm not a legal eagle but I think film rights have time limits and vaguely remember reading Sylvester Stallone (spelling) bought some of them. He's not getting any younger either so it's all a race against time.

Apparantly Sylvester has bought the righrs to the Quest, because when it gets made into a film, He will be able to star as Taita and save the film company a fortune in make up

ROFLAO
mahound

Sylvester OLD?

Postby Ada » Tue May 01, 2007 7:48 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep. mahound that's funny - love your sense of humour!
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Sylvester OLD?

Postby mahound » Wed May 02, 2007 3:43 am

Ada wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep. mahound that's funny - love your sense of humour!

I am Getting old the sense of humour heightens with age. Its great
:lol: :roll:
mahound

Return to The Library