Which one do I read next!? Help!

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series.

River God or Warlock?

River God
100%
Warlock
No votes

Total votes : 6

Which one do I read next!? Help!

Postby Andy » Thu May 24, 2007 4:48 am

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to WS. I have just finished reading the Seventh Scroll, which came reccomended from my good old mum! Now, on starting this fantastic read I was unaware of the other books in the Egyptian stories WS had written. Though this became apparent as I worked through the pages finding references to River God. So with some quick investigation I discovered River God and Warlock, prequel and sequel to the Seventh Scroll. With a burning desire to read more WS books I have a choice between them! Do I go back or do i go forward? River God or Warlock? Which, in your opinion, is best (if any) to read next? I know I jumped in with the Seventh Scroll and maybe should have read them in order, put I simply could not put the book down!

Both River God and Warlock have arrived from Amazon this week.

Separate question, do any other books contain the characters Royan and Nicholas? :D
Andy

Re: Which one do I read next!? Help!

Postby Ada » Thu May 24, 2007 6:50 am

Andy wrote:Do I go back or do i go forward? River God or Warlock? Which, in your opinion, is best (if any) to read next?

Separate question, do any other books contain the characters Royan and Nicholas? :D

Hi Andy. Welcome to the Forum. There's lots of information here in the different threads about all of Wilbur Smith's (WS) books. It took me weeks to read most of the posts and years to read all of his books.

Re which book to read next - definitely go for River God. It is arguably one of WS's best. (Although some members will disagree :lol: .) The other reason to read it next is because it is about who actually wrote the scrolls - my favourite WS character, Taita.

Re the characters Royan and Nicolas, the answer is no.

If you want to read more WS stories with characters that carry on through different books (besides Taita who is in River God, Warlock and The Quest), then I recommend The Courtneys. As I said above, browse through this Forum as there's heaps of info. about his books. Be careful of spoilers though. Most of the time, members use the Spoiler function so it's usually not a problem. I'm still a relatively new member here but have found the members are a wonderful bunch with great senses of humour. :)
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby Nefer » Thu May 24, 2007 9:36 am

I second Ada's vote - RG will blow you away!! :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Thu May 24, 2007 5:49 pm

I agree with Ada and Nefer, it has to be River God.

Also, you mentioned that RG and Warlock are prequel and a sequel to RG - this isn't strickly the case - both RG and Warlock are set in ancient egypt, Warlock being the sequel to RG.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you anymore! Be sure to post your thoughts on the two books - feel free to create a thread with your thoughts in it or post in one of the existing ones.

Matt
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Re: Which one do I read next!? Help!

Postby Rivaan » Thu May 24, 2007 8:24 pm

Andy wrote:I discovered River God and Warlock, prequel and sequel to the Seventh Scroll.

They're actually both prequels ;) Lol. But I recommend River God, like everyone else, and then Warlock. I like to read books in the order they are written, as that's the way the author intended them (or at least it's how the author thought of them). I actually read Warlock first and then found out about the other two :lol:
Rivaan

Postby Andy » Sat May 26, 2007 8:12 am

Thanks for all the advice. In the end I couldn't decide which....and seeing as I had both books I decided to begin both! I'm on holiday next week so I'm sure I'll find it no trouble finishing the two! :D
Andy

Postby Matbow » Sat May 26, 2007 9:37 am

Ok, well that makes no sense! Warlock is the direct sequel to RiverGod, so to a certain extent you'll end up spoiling River God by reading both at once!

Each to their own tho...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Andy » Sat May 26, 2007 9:38 am

Oh dear....ok. Im only 30 pages in. I'll revert to River God and stay with it now. I don't think I've spoilt it just yet. :?
Andy

Return to The Egyptians